• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Plse remind me. under new law can 2 c&r licensees transfer a c&r rifle without going thru an 01? Can they transfer a non c&r rifle? A c&r handgun?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All of this depends on COMAR and what chances you want to take.

Language of the long gun transfer bill appears to exempt ALL FFLs from the requirements of the law. It then goes on to give FFL-03 to FFL-03 a specific exemption.

I wouldn’t trust it other than the specific exemption between two FFL-03 or an FFL-03 and another FFL for a C&R long gun.

Non, C&R holders get no slack on C&R handguns unless they are out of state or buying one out of state to be shipped to them in state.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Thanks, all. Very much appreciate the quick response. Yes, c&r guns to a 03 in md must go thru an 01.
    Was beginning to think about selling some cr rifles. And frankly, much better to know your buyer is vetted and not prohibited.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks, all. Very much appreciate the quick response. Yes, c&r guns to a 03 in md must go thru an 01.
    Was beginning to think about selling some cr rifles. And frankly, much better to know your buyer is vetted and not prohibited.

The law seems to carve out an exemption between C&R holders within MD, at least for long guns. A MD C&R licensee can of course buy C&R firearms of all types, from sellers outside MD. Such items can be shipped to the C&R holder in MD, without involving thr MSP or an FFL01.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I understood it as an 03 can still buy C&R long guns from anyone, but a 03 still has to transfer through an 01 to sell to someone who isn’t another 03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I understood it as an 03 can still buy C&R long guns from anyone, but a 03 still has to transfer through an 01 to sell to someone who isn’t another 03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. If you read the strict exemption in the law, only FFL-03 to FFL-03 for C&R long guns. You can’t buy it from anyone according to the law without a background check. Only another FFL-03.

HOWEVER at the start of the law it says all holders of federal firearms license are considered dealers under the law. Later it says all dealers as defined under the law are exempt from the new law.

I suspect that wasn’t intentional.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Seems to me that thirty bucks for three years of free long gun transfers is a good deal, even if restricted to other 03FFLs.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Nope. If you read the strict exemption in the law, only FFL-03 to FFL-03 for C&R long guns. You can’t buy it from anyone according to the law without a background check. Only another FFL-03.

HOWEVER at the start of the law it says all holders of federal firearms license are considered dealers under the law. Later it says all dealers as defined under the law are exempt from the new law.

I suspect that wasn’t intentional.

So as I see it someone needs to get clarification from the AG. I hate uttering those words but it's less than clear. Huge difference between 03 to 03 only and all 03 holders are exempted entirely.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So as I see it someone needs to get clarification from the AG. I hate uttering those words but it's less than clear. Huge difference between 03 to 03 only and all 03 holders are exempted entirely.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD

C&R guns transferred between MD residents only go through an 01 if either the seller or buyer are not 03 holders. If both hold an 03 they can transfer long guns directly between them as MD residents without going through an 01.

C&R handguns transferred in Maryland have to go through an 01 even if you are an 03 holder. That's state law.

Transfers of C&R handguns and rifles interstate can come to the 03 holder directly. The new law did not change that.

An 03 license holder has more purchase and transfer privileges from out-of-state than they do in-state in Maryland. Hence why almost all of my 03 acquisitions are interstate. But I have done 03-to-03 transfers in Maryland post-change of the private transfer law. All in accordance with the change.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom