• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 19, 2008
    Greetings :D

All of my family and friends in Upper Marlboro have sold their farms, so there is no Dove hunting left.

Where can I subscribe to a Dove shoot this season, and what is the $ per shooter?

Thanks

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Check the hunting section in the MD DNR website, I remember seeing something about public dove hunting there.
    Kings Landing NRMA (formerly Huntingtown)- 960 acres -
    Forest game, upland game, deer (bow, muzzleloader and shotgun),
    waterfowl lottery, dove. Hunting allowed only north of Cocktown
    Creek. Daily sign-in required. Free permit required for blinds.
    Disabled accessible.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/2008_2009_guide.pdf
    Page 43,

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Suffice it to say, it's considerably different than in SW Nebraska where I grew up. Back there, we knew a guy with a farm (possibly due to the fact that we also owned a farm until 1972) and we'd set up by his windmill stock tank. When the doves would come in for water in the late afternoon, that's when we would get them.

Nothing was organized about it, and you didn't have to go to any authorized area - just hunting out on a farm, the way it should be.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Around Baltimore and DC you can hunt "urban doves"

pigeon.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area

Anyone ever Dove hunt here? Any insight? I’m kinda just looking fir reassurance as public land scares me.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area

Anyone ever Dove hunt here? Any insight? I’m kinda just looking fir reassurance as public land scares me.

That place is a literal war zone for doves. We’ve come off the river from fishing and couldn’t believe what we saw. Maybe the back fields are better but the main planted dove fields by the main entrance are jam packed.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That place is a literal war zone for doves. We’ve come off the river from fishing and couldn’t believe what we saw. Maybe the back fields are better but the main planted dove fields by the main entrance are jam packed.

You are who i wanted an opinion from. I shouldn’t have thought any different i was just praying.

I’ve got private land i can hunt on but this would be a good evening real quick kinda thing.

Wow, 13 year old zombie thread resurrection!
    :bowdown:

You can honestly thank google lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Apparently my back deck. We usually get a few per day coming in. My wife would not forgive me if I put an ounce of #7.5 in to one of her bird feeders though.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Apparently my back deck. We usually get a few per day coming in. My wife would not forgive me if I put an ounce of #7.5 in to one of her bird feeders though.

Ive got them too but haven’t been on a proper dove hunt in a while. Topic came up when i was planning a pheasant hunt today. Also i found out Hopewell phesantry shut down operations and their guide skip passed. We had a lot of fun with him. It’s been 2 years but boy do i have my favorite hunting story from that place.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Also i found out Hopewell Phesantry shut down operations and their guide skip passed. We had a lot of fun with him.

This was very disappointing news, it was close and cheap for me and the fields were nice. Perfect place to take the dogs for a true half-day hunt.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Lol, I went there once. I didnt realize you had to get there at sun up to claim a spot. What a mess.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Lol, I went there once. I didnt realize you had to get there at sun up to claim a spot. What a mess.

You should see what the sunflower fields look like now when they're blooming. 8,000 mommies with kids getting selfies, cars lined up and down Hunting Quarter all the way out to Seneca. I kid you not. The WaPo ran an article just ONCE explaining that it was a secret hidden treasure for social media mavens, and ... blammo. Do NOT go there on a sunny day while the sunflowers are yellow. It's crazy. CRAZY crazy. And all the Karens are trying to run off all the OTHER Karens because they want a shot of their precious Tiny Karen in the field all by herself. It's the Karening!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You are who i wanted an opinion from. I shouldn’t have thought any different i was just praying.

I’ve got private land i can hunt on but this would be a good evening real quick kinda thing.

You can honestly thank google lol

It is pretty much the same thing there with early duck season.

I have hunted public land for deer, but that was nearly 30 years ago when I was in undergrad. Trying to save up for a farm of my own now and hunting whenever I get the chance on private land.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    You should see what the sunflower fields look like now when they're blooming. 8,000 mommies with kids getting selfies, cars lined up and down Hunting Quarter all the way out to Seneca. I kid you not. The WaPo ran an article just ONCE explaining that it was a secret hidden treasure for social media mavens, and ... blammo. Do NOT go there on a sunny day while the sunflowers are yellow. It's crazy. CRAZY crazy. And all the Karens are trying to run off all the OTHER Karens because they want a shot of their precious Tiny Karen in the field all by herself. It's the Karening!

How many Karen’s can you hunt per season? I guess the young ones are off limits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom