• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Are muzzleloaders, of any kind, 4473 items?

Is anything required to transfer Muzzleloaders from person to person?

Thanks

Last edited:

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'm Embarassed to ask, but.....

Most are not. The Thompson Center Encore need a 4473. Not sure if there are others that do as well. Do you have a particular one in mind?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If the firearm in question is the frame/receiver of a centerfire or rimfire with a muzzleloading barrel installed, it's legally treated as a firearm (see the specific ones mentioned above). If it's designed as a muzzleloader, it's legally an "antique" (regardless of actual age), and not controlled for transfer.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    rifle actions are tricky , as they could be converted back to centerfire , just like the encore . i type to slow.lol

Last edited:

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Most are not. The Thompson Center Encore need a 4473. Not sure if there are others that do as well. Do you have a particular one in mind?

Similarly, the NEF/H&R handi-rifles had interchangeable barrels and could easily be fitted with a ML barrel. But the frame is still a "firearm".

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Clear as mud...as usual, directly from an ATF publication.

"The following is a list of weapons that load from the muzzle and are classified as firearms, not
    antiques, under the GCA, because they incorporate the frame or receiver of a firearm:- 2 -
    • Savage Model 10ML (early, 1st version)
    • Mossberg 500 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
    • Remington 870 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
    • Mauser 98 rifle with muzzle loading barrel
    • SKS rifle with muzzle loading barrel
    • PB sM10 pistol with muzzle loading barrel
    • H&R/New England Firearm Huntsman
    • Thompson Center Encore/Contender
    • Rossi .50 muzzle loading rifle"

So, they indicate the existence of a later model by saying that the early version IS a firearm.

Savage forum discussions indicate that they changed the gun to no longer be easily converted.

Sounds like a question for 13 lawyers.

Just my luck!

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Clear as mud...as usual, directly from an ATF publication.

"The following is a list of weapons that load from the muzzle and are classified as firearms, not
    antiques, under the GCA, because they incorporate the frame or receiver of a firearm:- 2 -
    • Savage Model 10ML (early, 1st version)
    • Mossberg 500 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
    • Remington 870 shotgun with muzzle loading barrel
    • Mauser 98 rifle with muzzle loading barrel
    • SKS rifle with muzzle loading barrel
    • PB sM10 pistol with muzzle loading barrel
    • H&R/New England Firearm Huntsman
    • Thompson Center Encore/Contender
    • Rossi .50 muzzle loading rifle"

So, they indicate the existence of a later model by saying that the early version IS a firearm.

Savage forum discussions indicate that they changed the gun to no longer be easily converted.

Sounds like a question for 13 lawyers.

Just my luck!

If your question is specifically regarding the Savage 10ML II, it does NOT require a 4473; the 10ML was redesigned specifically because the original version used essentially the same action as a savage centerfire bolt action and BATFE required a 4473.

The gross majority of muzzleloaders do not require a 4473, and your likelihood of finding one that does require FFL transfer is very low. Having said that, I have a 10ML II and if you can find one, I highly recommend them. Being able to use smokeless and not worry about cleaning or you barrel would be torched is exceptionally nice (plus you can reach out 200 yards with [relative] ease).

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    If your question is specifically regarding the Savage 10ML II, it does NOT require a 4473; the 10ML was redesigned specifically because the original version used essentially the same action as a savage centerfire bolt action and BATFE required a 4473.

The gross majority of muzzleloaders do not require a 4473, and your likelihood of finding one that does require FFL transfer is very low. Having said that, I have a 10ML II and if you can find one, I highly recommend them. Being able to use smokeless and not worry about cleaning or you barrel would be torched is exceptionally nice (plus you can reach out 200 yards with [relative] ease).

It is specifically the 10 ML II I am asking about. I have one, and a friend offered me $200 for it. Just needed to know if it had to go to a ffl/dealer. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom