• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What's the benefit of this one over the 3-prong?

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick

The only thing I can think of is that it could be less likely to snag on something and might kick up less dirt when firing prone. But for most of us, is that it is just another option that we might like the look of more than the 3-prong. Maybe someone else has more insight.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The only thing I can think of is that it could be less likely to snag on something and might kick up less dirt when firing prone. But for most of us, is that it is just another option that we might like the look of more than the 3-prong. Maybe someone else has more insight.

OK, thanks.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    3 prong = faster, this = slightly better / more contact points (surface area of threads to threads). Disadvantage is potential to back off on threaded vs 3 prong and a few other small things that are basically personal preference.

My $0.02 and it's worth about that (or less).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

3 Prong tend to do a bit better on reducing flash. However they have considerable down sides. They snag on things. This is huge and why the moved away from this design in pretty much every military, ie M16. They hurt if you run them into your body or hand. Many 3 prong "sing" but silencerco do not. I find they tend to be sharper cut. Also, there are no holes in the bottom of this bird cage, so it does not kick up dust.

Not really concerning but I think the bird cage looks a lot better. I never liked the look of the 3 prong. If I had not sold my Omega, I would be buying a few of these.

3 prong = faster, this = slightly better / more contact points (surface area of threads to threads). Disadvantage is potential to back off on threaded vs 3 prong and a few other small things that are basically personal preference.....

I don't see the more contact points, or any real chance in the way the system locks up. Neither will pack off has its locked on. If it backs off, you have bigger issues. Usually cbrd cage system can have more contact points if they use the front edge of the bird cage. The 3 prong don't allow for this, however I doubt Silencerco does this anway.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    3 prong = faster, this = slightly better / more contact points (surface area of threads to threads). Disadvantage is potential to back off on threaded vs 3 prong and a few other small things that are basically personal preference.

My $0.02 and it's worth about that (or less).

Unfortunately absolutely none of what you just said is correct. How is this faster vs any other ASR mount?

The thread system on the ASR mounts is identical regardless of what is forward of it, whether the 3 baffle brake, single baffle brake, 3 prong, or this A2 style.

I think the other points folks have made here is correct, in that an A2 style is less likely to snag on things vs a 3 or 4 prong.

Some prefer the ASR brake mounts because they act as a "sacrificial baffle" within the can, but if you plan to shoot unsuppressed, a brake is generally not ideal.

Either way, I bet these will go up in value, at least temporarily, if these are in fact a limited run.

snickers

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for posting this or I would have missed it. I just ordered this, looks neat. I run everything I "can" on the ASR mounts so more options are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom