MOCO,Can we pop off bb guns in the backyard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yeah, but when the MoCo SWAT team comes out, you flash your badge and they let your dog live.

Only the police and military can get away with shooting BB guns in their back yard in MoCo.

And... people who are neighbors with the police. I feel sorry for myself living in MoCo, but I feel more sorry for those living outside of the Ag Reserve in MoCo. Conservative holdouts + friendly five-oh = do whatever you want in your yard, just keep it in your yard.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah, but when the MoCo SWAT team comes out, you flash your badge and they let your dog live.

Only the police and military can get away with shooting BB guns in their back yard in MoCo.

Lol if they shoot my dog that will be intentional as chit. He will run to them tail wagging.

Christmas 1992 i got a 10 pump daisy. 2nd shot i took down a dove. Still feel kinda bad about that lol. When i was a kid we had a cherry tree in the back yard. After about 6 months the birds knew “We don’t eat those cherries between 9am-6pm”.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm reminded of the quick back yard video I posted in the COVID lockdown skills development thread from last year (you know, back when we were all sure we were just, you know, bending the curve for a little while). All the ranges were closed, and I got antsy. First time in probably forty years I'd picked up a wrist rocket, but it really scratched the itch there for a bit. Those clay projectiles allow me to abuse lots of yard targets I'd otherwise have to leave alone. But now that I know I'm in for it with Johnny Law, I'll have to ... get it back out again and do it some more.

[vm]406677351[/vm]

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Lol if they shoot my dog that will be intentional as chit. He will run to them tail wagging.

Christmas 1992 i got a 10 pump daisy. 2nd shot i took down a dove. Still feel kinda bad about that lol. When i was a kid we had a cherry tree in the back yard. After about 6 months the birds knew “We don’t eat those cherries between 9am-6pm”.

Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    And... people who are neighbors with the police. I feel sorry for myself living in MoCo, but I feel more sorry for those living outside of the Ag Reserve in MoCo. Conservative holdouts + friendly five-oh = do whatever you want in your yard, just keep it in your yard.

Grew up in the Ag Reserve in MoCo in the late 80s-late 90s. Learned to shoot in our back yard. Shotgun, rifle, handgun, archery when grandma came to visit. No neighbors ever cared because they were all the same way as us. Doubt that it’s the same way there now other than a few generational farms. Too many libs have been buying property there

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Grew up in the Ag Reserve in MoCo in the late 80s-late 90s. Learned to shoot in our back yard. Shotgun, rifle, handgun, archery when grandma came to visit. No neighbors ever cared because they were all the same way as us. Doubt that it’s the same way there now other than a few generational farms. Too many libs have been buying property there

Depends on where you're located. Olney/Laytonsville? Yeah, too many libs. Damascus/Hyattstown/Barnesville, you're probably still in the clear by and large. I take out any whistle pigs that wander into the yard and nobody complains.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I have a friend who a while back thought it would be a good idea to pop off some rounds with his BB gun in his backyard. Neighbors called Montgomery County's finest. He had to fight off gun related charges and hire an attorney. I'm sure it costs him probably close to 10 - 20K fighting the charges. What's funny to me is people actually pay to do this to themselves. Living in Montgomery County isn't cheap! Come for the taxes stay for the illegal immigration.

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    I remember growing up in Wheaton and we use to shoot BB guns all the time in the backyard. Of course the Nazis and Commies started taking all the fun out of being a boy here in Maryland as a whole. Can't wait to get out again to vote these imbeciles out of office ie: Jamie Raskin

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Typical MDS, 4 pages and only a couple correct answers.
    If you’re inside what is defined as the Urbana area, No. Google it. Otherwise you’re gtg even with CF up to .25 caliber.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Depends on where you're located. Olney/Laytonsville? Yeah, too many libs. Damascus/Hyattstown/Barnesville, you're probably still in the clear by and large. I take out any whistle pigs that wander into the yard and nobody complains.

Poolesville/Dickerson is where I grew up. From what I’ve heard, the area has been going left for a while since.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Poolesville/Dickerson is where I grew up. From what I’ve heard, the area has been going left for a while since.

Yeah, Poolesville isn't what it used to be. Now it's the original town surrounded by million-plus-dollar McMansions on postage-stamp lots. Rich folks move there for the school district. The irony is, it was their leftist-progressive policies that made the school districts where they lived before go downhill. What was once the land of the agrarians and self-sufficient has become the area where the new "locals" bitch about the fact that they can't go walk their dogs through McKee-Beshers during hunting season. They love taking pictures of their Vinyard Vines-bedecked families in the fields of sunflowers and think that is the reason they're planted...:rolleyes:

@Pale Rider, even your answer is incorrect. There's way more to it than that including the size of the property where you are conducting the activity and distance from the nearest occupied dwelling.

OP. MoCo consideres airguns/bb guns "Firearms"

[quote MoCo Code:]Gun or firearm: Any rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is
    designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic.[/quote]

As such, you cannot lawfully fire one inside the "urban area"

The map attached to this post in the "weapons law summary" is still a good reference overall but may be out of date on the eastern part of the county. If you live outside the "urban area" you're likely GTG to shoot a bb gun so long as you get the written consent of your neighbors if their houses are within the specified range (150' IIRC). If you're in the urban area, it doesn't matter and you can be arrested.

I've also attached the MoCo codes on "weapons" for your perusal.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Weapons-Law-Summary.pdf
      958.9 KB · Views: 101
    • MCode-Chapter 57-Weapons.pdf
      97.5 KB · Views: 95

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Typical MDS, 4 pages and only a couple correct answers.
    If you’re inside what is defined as the Urbana area, No. Google it. Otherwise you’re gtg even with CF up to .25 caliber.

You’re good with any caliber rifle you want to shoot outside of the urban area as long as you are shooting at legal game or a target on the ground that will not deflect the bullet.

Look up the actual law, not the pamphlet moco published that leaves out the hunting and target shooting exemptions to the .25 caliber restriction. I’m sure that omission wasn’t intentional.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You’re good with any caliber rifle you want to shoot outside of the urban area as long as you are shooting at legal game or a target on the ground that will not deflect the bullet.

Look up the actual law, not the pamphlet moco published that leaves out the hunting and target shooting exemptions to the .25 caliber restriction. I’m sure that omission wasn’t intentional.

What is the purpose of specifying .25 caliber and breach loading rifles then?

“Outside the Urban Area
    Outside the urban area, a person must not discharge fixed ammunition from a rifle or pistol of any caliber higher than a .25 caliber, or discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from any gun. Fixed ammunition is defined as any ammunition composed of a projectile or projectiles, a casing, an explosive charge, and a primer, all of which shall be contained as one unit. Hunters are advised that breech loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Montgomery County pursuent to Maryland hunting regulations. For more information on the proper weapons and seasons for hunting consult the Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping published annually by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and available on-line at www.dnr.state.md.us/ huntersguide/deerregs.asp.”

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    They banned sparklers decades ago, I think when I was a teenager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I think you're right. I've mentioned it on this board a few times since 2013, to drive home the point of MoCo's longstanding, extreme excesses. It still blows my mind. Kids can't even hold sparklers there on Independence Day. How ironic, eh?

When I was a kid in Michigan, little kids routinely were given and encouraged to waive sparklers and participate in the Independence Day celebration on July 4.

Plenty of Maryland counties haven't banned sparklers (and much more blasty fireworks :shocked::omg: ) to this day. I wouldn't live in one that doesn't. It not only played too big a part of my fonder, early childhood memories, participating in (not just watching) patriotic, celebratory July 4 activities with family and community, but it symbolizes the irrational, controlling nature of Maryland politicians.

After moving to Bethesda as a youngster, I learned immediately that MD in general, and MoCo specifically, were, and are run by a bunch of controlling, tyrannical killjoys. The past 55+ years, with respites in a few free states, have merely confirmed it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yea, I think you're right. I've mentioned it on this board a few times since 2013, to drive home the point of MoCo's longstanding, extreme excesses. It still blows my mind. Kids can't even hold sparklers there on Independence Day. How ironic, eh?

When I was a kid in Michigan, little kids routinely were given and encouraged to waive sparklers and participate in the Independence Day celebration on July 4.

Plenty of Maryland counties haven't banned sparklers (and much more blasty fireworks :shocked::omg: ) to this day. I wouldn't live in one that doesn't. It not only played too big a part of my fonder, early childhood memories, participating in (not just watching) patriotic, celebratory July 4 activities with family and community, but it symbolizes the irrational, controlling nature of Maryland politicians.

After moving to Bethesda as a youngster, I learned immediately that MD in general, and MoCo specifically, were, and are run by a bunch of controlling, tyrannical killjoys. The past 55+ years, with respites in a few free states, have merely confirmed it.

I've NEVER driven into DC and bought fireworks to bring back to Merryland. NEVER!
    I've also NEVER stopped at South of the Border, visited Fort Pedro and took Pedro's advice.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Pedro

I've NEVER driven into DC and bought fireworks to bring back to Merryland. NEVER!
    I've also NEVER stopped at South of the Border, visited Fort Pedro and took Pedro's advice.

But did you vote for Pedro? Napoleon Dynamite smiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom