• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm thinking about setting up a trust for my Class 3 Items and Want to add my dad and wife to the trust both of which are legal to own weapons/silencers etc..

I was looking at the silencer shop one and was wondering how does it work my dad lives in Alabama, I'm military stationed here can I buy the item and anyone on my trust pick it up from the dealer after it has been approved?

Second Question. If you used the silencership kiosk option do you get your trustee's to register one time and they are good for a year? any input on how this works IE the process each trustee signs forms etc...

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    All responsible parties (read trustees) must send in photos and prints. You would need to associate the RP's to your trust. I believe the SS/ kiosk can handle that. You should call the SS for exact and correct instructions on how to accomplish what you want.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I emailed Silencer Shop and this is what I got back.

Yes they can, and yes they will need prints and photo. A yearly photo update if you continue to purchase
    Regards,

Silencer Shop

Sent: Sat Aug 11 2018 07:55:22 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
    To: support@silencershop.com
    Subject: Gun Trust "Trustee" Question
    Hello,
    I want to establish a Trust for myself, father and wife all are legal to own and posse Class III items. I plan on using the Silencershop trust option to make things easier can I purchase and any of my trustee’s pickup the item from the dealer upon dealer receipt of the Tax Stamp? Also using this option do they do the digital prints and picture at a kiosk just like I did under a non-trust? And if they can does anything need to be updated yearly or everytime a new item is purchased?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do NFA trusts take longer for approval?

Can a trust be set up after you already possess an NFA item?

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I thought I read somewhere that trusts no longer work. I thought some law was passed a while back where you can have a trust, but you still can’t transfer them. Or something to that effect.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    You can do a individual trust , and add them after the fact. Arsenal did that on mine. I believe they referred to it as a living trust , and can add or subtract at any point in time.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

Yes. Slightly longer now.

Yes (but you have to pay another $200 stamp when you transfer the item from your personal ownership to trust ownership. That takes another ~9mo but at least you could shoot it during that time.)

If buying several items at once, you could do a trust w just you on it and then after you have the items approved, amend the trust to add your family members. That may /may not be less hassle than the extra photos /prints at the beginning.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Looking for recommendations and a ball park figure on where and how much to set up a nfa/gun trust.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Yes.

If you have already purchased them as an individual, to move them to the trust would require a new tax stamp and $200 per item.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I thought I read somewhere that trusts no longer work. I thought some law was passed a while back where you can have a trust, but you still can’t transfer them. Or something to that effect.

Not correct.

In the past, trusts did not require the photo and prints at all. Now, all trustees must submit.

The advantage is, any trustee can have access to the NFA items. If you own them individually, you need to secure against other members of your household from having access.

Also, trusts allow a beneficiary. So if in the case all trustees die, the NFA items go to someone.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Looking for recommendations and a ball park figure on where and how much to set up a nfa/gun trust.

Only two I've looked at were John Pierce in Virginia, recommended by a staffer at Engage Armament - but his website says he only does Virginia trusts.Then there's the Guntrustguru site in Tx; he claims to have a form that's good in all 50 states; should look at the site to see the differences, and also why he feels his trust is better than silencerco etc.

I'm certain there are NFA-savvy attorneys in MD; some of them are posters and/or IPs here. I don't know what they charge.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    All responsible parties (read trustees) must send in photos and prints. You would need to associate the RP's to your trust. I believe the SS/ kiosk can handle that. You should call the SS for exact and correct instructions on how to accomplish what you want.

I did the single shot trust so I can add my wife and kid later on without prints, pictures, and all the other hassle that goes along with a legacy trust. Caveat is they send you all the legal paperwork for the addendum page but it's pretty in depth. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo. I had to read through it several times to get it.

Off the silencershop.com site:

With the Single Shot Trust there is NOTHING TO NOTARIZE, NOTHING TO FILL OUT, and you do NOT have to worry about uploading documents or dragging friends and family members out to get fingerprinted. Instead, you'll simply sign the trust digitally at the same time you sign your Form 1 or Form 4. It couldn't be simpler! Once your new NFA toy is approved, you can add as many additional family members or friends onto the Single Shot Trust as you want without having to worry about fingerprints, photos, or CLEO notification. To put it simply, the Single Shot Trust NFA Gun Trust gives you all the flexibility of a traditional Gun Trust, with the simplicity of registering as an Individual! Remember, the Single Shot Trust is valid in all NFA-Legal states EXCEPT Iowa and Vermont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom