• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So when the MDSP comes back and says "ONLY COLT HBAR" we are screwed. Can we PLEASE write more letters asking for verification of vague laws?

They can't.

AG already put out an official letter about what a COPY is. So COPIES of Colt HBAR are OK.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Way back when the original law was passed, "H-BAR" was a Colt trade mark. I am not certain but, I believe it still is. MSP has historically interpreted the term to include barrels that are heavier than mil spec. contour in the portion of the barrel covered by the handguard to be "H-BAR".
    Imagine the multitude of law suits that could happen should they ban all but one company from selling their product in the state, especially when the only realistic difference is nothing more than a trademarked stamp on the barrel. IMHO, Bushmaster should have filed suit when their products were banned by name. Especially since the only difference is the company name stamped in the receiver. I can only presume that they didn't think the cost of the suit would be justifiable due to the market share or that they just don't care!
    You can thank those who are competitive shooters that you can at least buy an "H-BAR". We showed up while everyone else stayed home!:sad20:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    RRA

Check out the Rock River ARMS AR15 Rifle Special A4 20" Varmint Special. With no substitutes, it is on special price right now for only $1085, and it gives you a 2 stage trigger, and a 3/4" MOA gurantee at 100 yards. Overall, I think it is a better quality gun and would carry a more desirable and higher resale value for the future. JMHO

Oh, and it has a Wylde chamber with a 1:8 twist, cryogeniclly treated SS barrel. And there is another one, AR1520M for only $985 with all the above and a Free Float hand guard, Hogue pistol grip.

They also have a mid length HBAR marked for only $725!! But check out the whole website.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i got a reply. i really didnt expect it that soon.

Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>

8:47 AM (8 hours ago)

Mr. Lee,

AR-15 heavy barrel rifles are not regulated in Maryland and therefore can still be purchased. This particular rifle has not been reviewed by the firearms review board but if there is any documentation from the manufacturer stating that this is a heavy barrel rifle then it would be legal to purchase in MD.

Please let me know if you require further.

Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr.
    Maryland State Police

Licensing Division
    Firearms Services Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465
    Fax: 410-653-4036
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R's Only)

looks like i will need a letter from DPMS stating its a heavy barrel instead of a bull barrel.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    i got a reply. i really didnt expect it that soon.

Donald Pickle -State Police- <donald.pickle@maryland.gov>

8:47 AM (8 hours ago)

Mr. Lee,

AR-15 heavy barrel rifles are not regulated in Maryland and therefore can still be purchased. This particular rifle has not been reviewed by the firearms review board but if there is any documentation from the manufacturer stating that this is a heavy barrel rifle then it would be legal to purchase in MD.

Please let me know if you require further.

Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr.
    Maryland State Police

Licensing Division
    Firearms Services Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465
    Fax: 410-653-4036
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R's Only)

looks like i will need a letter from DPMS stating its a heavy barrel instead of a bull barrel.

:sad20: They don't get much heavier than that!!!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I bet they chuckle every time a letter requesting information is sent and while sending out a canned reply.

Now folks will wonder if a four and a half pound, 24 inch, unfluted barrel can be installed on a post 2013 lower.

The law was written and passed with mocking us in mind.

Maybe it's time for Governor Hogan to step in and insist on some clarity and definition of what a heavy barrel is and what a heavy barrel isn't.

As others have rightly stated, I'm not a fan of writing letters to law makers, but this insanity needs to be dealt with post haste.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Makes about as much sense as Maryland firearms laws...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      39.9 KB · Views: 558

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    ....if you end up in court, it will probably a case to set precedence and force MSP to come with a real legal definition.

Has anyone ever heard of, or can anyone recall, someone ever being arrested for having a post 2013 lower pinned together with a non HBAR upper?

I mean who carries around their receipts or printed out Web pages? Whether to "prove" your lower is PRE 2013, or to prove your POST 2013 barrel is HBAR?

For the life of me I cannot imagine in what scenario a random Md LEO asks to see your rifle, then arrests you because you cannot prove, on the spot, that it is 100% legal by everyone's standards...all my stuff is "compliant", but like I asked...who carries around receipts of their AR parts with them? I know I dont...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If a serialized lower was born and bought after the False Safety Act became law, they'll know.

4473s, 77Rs, etc. is the paper trail.

And the registration that we all know isn't taking place. :rolleyes:

I'm curious what the lurkers down below think about this.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Has anyone ever heard of, or can anyone recall, someone ever being arrested for having a post 2013 lower pinned together with a non HBAR upper?

I mean who carries around their receipts or printed out Web pages? Whether to "prove" your lower is PRE 2013, or to prove your POST 2013 barrel is HBAR?

For the life of me I cannot imagine in what scenario a random Md LEO asks to see your rifle, then arrests you because you cannot prove, on the spot, that it is 100% legal by everyone's standards...all my stuff is "compliant", but like I asked...who carries around receipts of their AR parts with them? I know I dont...

IIRC the burden of proof lies on the state. If the AR-15 was purchased out of state, then the owner moved to Maryland before October 2013, Maryland registration was not required.

Yes, the state could subpoena records from the manufacture to the first FFL 4473, but after that it could prove impossible since many states allow FTF sales.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I thought you have to still use a heavy profile barrel even when building a post FSA'13 SBR. Did something change?

SBR's aren't on the "assault long gun" list, therefore can't be copies of ALG's. As of right now, they are still subject to OAL and copycat (evil feature) tests.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Not that I can imagine MSP just randomly going around to check the diameter of barrels, I can PERCEIVE of them arresting someone for having the wrong barrel, yet, the Federal government, according to Vice President Biden, doesn't have time to arrest the 80,000 felons who illegally attempted to buy a restricted firearm. :-)

What a douche O'Malley is as I can only suspect he passed these incredulous restrictive and non performing laws, just to promote his name for recognition to run for president. I love how well that is going :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom