• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So I have an early Gen 2 Glock 17. I've about reached my limit with trying to focus on my front sights (age). I love red dots but really don't like anything with batteries. Today I saw a RMR that just used ambient light. I was amazed at the efficiency of its light gathering. Even with my hand closely shadowing the sight, there was still an easily visible dot.

Soooo, I think I'd like to try this but I don't want to mill out my slide if I end up not liking it for some reason. I've looked around and I see a lot of customized slides, but I'd really like to get an OEM slide for it and take that and the sight to a gunsmith and let him have at it. Where can I find just a plain old slide? Brownells was a source apparently but not any more it seems.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Might be able to get a MOS slide, but they are gen4, won't work on a gen2 frame. You could pick up a spare slide, then mill that one, but it can take a bit of work to get it to run with the extra bulk and weight. For the money might be better off just picking up a new pistol.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Be careful about the new Glock MOS slides. They are made to supposedly accept any type of red dot optic, regardless of manufacturer, size, cost, quality, etc. The design is a compromise trying to be a jack-of-all-trades in order to sell more pistols, not to provide a robust platform specifically milled for your chosen sight.

The interface plate's thickness adds to the height of the red dot on the pistol, and in many cases this excessive height prevents co-witness of the red dot and the pistol sights. Co-witness of the red dot and sights is an integral part of the red dot concept to begin with.

While the interface plate's thickness is an issue for the height of the red dot sight, it is also too thin for reliably securing the red dot sight. The interface plate is mounted to the slide, and the optic is only mounted to the plate. Optics that are mounted in a slide specifically milled for them are mounted deeper and more securely into the slide itself, and not dependent on a weaker double-mount system to keep them secure. I have already heard (secondhand) of RMR optics coming loose and falling off of the MOS mounting plates during shooting courses.

If you want to do it right, buy a quality optic and have an OEM slide milled for that specific optic by a competent gunsmith who is familiar with that type of work, and who will guarantee his work.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Good info. Thanks!

Be careful about the new Glock MOS slides. They are made to supposedly accept any type of red dot optic, regardless of manufacturer, size, cost, quality, etc. The design is a compromise trying to be a jack-of-all-trades in order to sell more pistols, not to provide a robust platform specifically milled for your chosen sight.

The interface plate's thickness adds to the height of the red dot on the pistol, and in many cases this excessive height prevents co-witness of the red dot and the pistol sights. Co-witness of the red dot and sights is an integral part of the red dot concept to begin with.

While the interface plate's thickness is an issue for the height of the red dot sight, it is also too thin for reliably securing the red dot sight. The interface plate is mounted to the slide, and the optic is only mounted to the plate. Optics that are mounted in a slide specifically milled for them are mounted deeper and more securely into the slide itself, and not dependent on a weaker double-mount system to keep them secure. I have already heard (secondhand) of RMR optics coming loose and falling off of the MOS mounting plates during shooting courses.

If you want to do it right, buy a quality optic and have an OEM slide milled for that specific optic by a competent gunsmith who is familiar with that type of work, and who will guarantee his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom