• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad, when I actually get some money together to start reloading, can ya school a brutha? :D

I'm no expert, but I can show you how to safely roll your own. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thats what I need.. I hate trying to read first and go solely off that. I like to get some hands on so I make sure Im not doing something wrong, especially when it involves stuff that can go boom..

Having someone tutor you is the way to go. Some fools (:innocent0 / :o) go it alone and have to learn some lessons the hard way.

Your going to go thru a fair amount of consumables (esp. powder) loading the .50BMG, and the 338LM isn't exactly cheap to reload either. But it'll still be easier on the pockets than buying loaded rounds. Likely more consistent and accurate too.

The .45ACP, beginners dream. That's where you can really make your money back on equipment and consumables. It's a pretty easy/forgiving round to roll out.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I looked at the primers on the ones that stuck, completely flattened out. S&B 250gr rounds, definitely loaded on the warm side.

So that may be something other people would want to keep in memory.

Mine were factory Hornady out of the box that would not extract . The reloaded lapua and ppu brass ran fine .

It's gone now , I'll stick with the 300wm .

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Having someone tutor you is the way to go. Some fools (:innocent0 / :o) go it alone and have to learn some lessons the hard way.

Your going to go thru a fair amount of consumables (esp. powder) loading the .50BMG, and the 338LM isn't exactly cheap to reload either. But it'll still be easier on the pockets than buying loaded rounds. Likely more consistent and accurate too.

The .45ACP, beginners dream. That's where you can really make your money back on equipment and consumables. It's a pretty easy/forgiving round to roll out.

I can only imagine how much I'll go through with the big rounds haha... Def worth it though

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can only imagine how much I'll go through with the big rounds haha... Def worth it though

Example:

750gr A-Max: max load is roughly 233gr of H50BMG, or 250gr of US869.

IIRC, there's 7K grains of powder in a 1Lbs. jug - so you can quickly figure out a pound of powder isn't going to go very far wit da fiddy. ;)

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So not saying I'm buying in the near future, but I am looking at what are good 338 Lapua rifles because at some point I am getting one. I know Barrett makes one that I like, but also with that comes teh Barrett price tag lol... What are your favorites when it comes to this caliber. I definitely like the more "tactical" look versus the traditional bolt rifle look, if that makes sense.. What do you guys like/recommend..

Accuracy International is the standard to go by.

A less expensive option may be a GA Precision rifle.

Honestly, if you want to shoot long range (farther than .308,.30-06 and .300 magnum) look into .260 remington.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    TRG or AI.

You have priced .338 Lapua ammo? Good commercial stuff is about $5 PER ROUND. And reloading is not cheap either. Somewhere close to $3 per round.

But I want one also. :)

Personally, I want the TRG-42.

Yep, the Sako TRG-42 is what I have been lusting over for a decade now. Almost as much as a Barrett though. Been contemplating a custom build off of a copycat Remington action.

Another really nice rifle is the Surgeon. Pretty much as tactical as you can get, but again with a Barrett like price tag.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Blackheart International makes a pretty nice action and rifle too.

http://www.bhiarms.com/gallery.html

If you are interested in custom actions that are interchangeable with the Remington 700 action, let me know and I'll list those too.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Yes , I am a enabler :innocent0

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yep, the Sako TRG-42 is what I have been lusting over for a decade now. Almost as much as a Barrett though. Been contemplating a custom build off of a copycat Remington action.

Another really nice rifle is the Surgeon. Pretty much as tactical as you can get, but again with a Barrett like price tag.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Blackheart International makes a pretty nice action and rifle too.

http://www.bhiarms.com/gallery.html

If you are interested in custom actions that are interchangeable with the Remington 700 action, let me know and I'll list those too.

Those surgeon rifles look nice....:thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Continental Arms has a surgeon or 2 and another custom build I can't remember, out of GA. Extremely nice guns but expensive. Maybe worth a trip to check them out.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    DTA SRS. Extremely accurate and in under a minute you can swap calibers to something cheaper to feed. I have no need for a 338 but I have a DTA with a 16" barrel that works great to 600 yards and a 260 rem barrel that gets me out past 1000. I almost dropped coin on the 338 conversion a few times but that is just getting started at 1000 and it's hard to find anywhere to shoot further.

00 Del

Jan 1, 2012
    The Dena, MD
    I am absolutely a Sako fan, I love mine, but you might also consider a Surgeon Remedy. I've also heard it said that the best .338 Lapua is a .340 Weatherby. There is an argument there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom