My letter to the editor made it into two newspapers!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Very well put and with the simplicity that even a lib SHOULD be able to understand. I am willing to bet though that most will not read past the first sentence once they see you actually support those "evil thangs".

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    [snip]

Some among us will never click the link, recommend you paste the entire letter here.

Are we allowed to do that? I thought the mods frowned upon that? Maybe I'm thinking of a different forum ....

I'll be watching for it in the Cumberland paper.:thumbsup:

I'm actually going to ride out there Monday so I can buy a copy. :D

Great job! One thing I would like to be able to determine is the 3 "murders" committed with a rifle were murders or a homeowner defending themselves. It was either this year or last year that someone was killed with a rifle by a homeowner in PG county. It was considered self defense, but I believe there was reference to how that death by rifle would be counted as a murder by rifle in the crime statistics. It would be interesting if there were a way to further decompose the FBI statistics to determine how many of the deaths by rifle and pistol were ruled self defense.

Great job on the article!

I'm trying to find those numbers as well. Here's what I have so far for 2011

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc....-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-15

Unfortunately, that's nationwide. The digging continues....

Edit: Keep in mind though, that the numbers in the link above are for justifiable homicide. The other numbers floating around are relating to murder. Since there is a difference between homicide and murder, I'm willing to bet that the numbers from the link I posted above aren't included in the number of murders committed with rifles.

Even if it is national information, compare the relative frequency of rifles used in crime vs. defense when compared with all guns. Just as rifles are under-represented in crime, they are almost over-represented in home defense.

Simple logic -- you're a criminal, do you want to carry around a Remington 700? You're a homeowner who hunts, maybe that's all you have.

Thanks again so much for the support guys. I'm trying to take everyone I know shooting, trying to increase the number of lawful gun owners. It took 62 years, but my dad finally figured out that a gun in the home, properly secured, is a boost for safety. After tearing his rotator-cuff he has figured out that in a few years, he may not be able to wrestle with a home invader anymore. Now my gun-phobic father wants a Glock and an AR-15. One win at a time, and more wins than losses.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    JMangle

Great job!

Letters in the Sun, Post,and the local newspapers are apt to be carefully read by most politicians.

There are many good letters that have been posted on this forum which I hope the authors will send (volume is important) to these links: marry.Corey@bal.com martin.baron@wash.com

If the links do not work,Google: "Balto. Sun editor email address" and "Wash. Post editor email address." The same method will work for local papers. At a minimum the letters will soften editorial resistance to our views.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Regards
    Jack

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Read it in the paper today. Well-written without the venom and emotion that detracts from the importance of the message

Well done!

and thanks!!

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The 'usual suspects' are attacking ...

elcid89 (the progressive CPA from Hartford Cty) trotted out Scalia's Heller majority opinion, "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited", even though Scalia himself also used the term "common use". Scalia also noted elcid89's 'sensitive areas' argument, but left the door open for armed and trained security as a state and local issue.

And, gsnorris plys his typical drivers license analogy, the tries to defend it as a right and not-a-right at the same time.

Many times smokey118 and I jump on these two, so I'm glad to see others slamming them for their tired old progressive 'chestnuts'. It's almost like they are paid liberal commentors on BaltimoreSunpapers.com because they turn up almost immediately. I think that they keep their responses stored in their cut'n'paste buffer, ready to slap down any pro-2A opinion that is posted. And the more that additional and different pro-2A people comment on BaltimoreSunpapers.com, the more it drowns out the limited voices of the left and presents our views as MAINSTREAM. Use Ctrl-Left Shift-P for In-Private comment posting.

Good job JMangle !!! Keep those cards and letters coming.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Even Slick Willie agrees ...

Bill Clinton Warns Dems: Don’t ‘Patronize’ and Look ‘Down Your Nose’ at Gun Culture

Bill Clinton to Democrats: Don’t trivialize gun culture

Clinton warned, the issue of guns has a special emotional resonance in many rural states — and simply dismissing pro-gun arguments is counterproductive.

“All these polls that you see saying the public is for us on all these issues — they are meaningless if they’re not voting issues,” Clinton said

By the turnout in Albany and Annapolis yesterday, I wouldn't call 2A just a rural issue either. Just wait until Feb 8th.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    James,

Since I am seeing more Anti-2A letters and opinion pages in the Carroll County Times, don't you think you should also post it there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom