• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruGroove62

May 3, 2020
    Abide by rules

I've been to the range being referenced, however, cease fire means stop immediately. I remember when I purchased a new gun and just when I was going to fire it for the first time - cease fire was called. I pleaded with the guy (It was a deagle) to fire at least once. He said, "No". That was that. Rules are in place for everyone's safety!!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I've been to the range being referenced, however, cease fire means stop immediately. I remember when I purchased a new gun and just when I was going to fire it for the first time - cease fire was called. I pleaded with the guy (It was a deagle) to fire at least once. He said, "No". That was that. Rules are in place for everyone's safety!!

You don't want to be "that guy" at the range when everyone's making their weapon safe and you hear a "Boom!".

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Since I was referenced several times in this thread, I thought it appropriate to respond.

1. No matter who -- RSO or Badgeholder -- uses the command "Cease Fire" it is an absolute requirement that every person on that specific range must immediately stop firing and make their firearms safe according to AGC definition: Actions Open, Magazines Out, ECIs properly inserted, muzzles oriented downrange. Our ceasefire protocol exceeds the standard NRA definition of "Cease Fire" wherein NRA states the when anyone gives that command, all shooters are to immediately stop firing and await further instruction.

2. Given the disparity in the numbers of shooters on the different ranges, it is typical that the on-duty RSO will allow the shooters on the 50yd range to self-govern while he or she manages the multiple other ranges on the property, both at the Barnes level and "up top." This is especially true on weekdays when there is only one RSO on duty on each shift. Even so, I and some of the other RSOs make it a habit to walk to the 50yd range as they finish up a ceasefire on the 100yd range just to see how the shooters are doing.

3. There are some times where both the 50-yd and the 100-yd ranges are so populated that the RSO will call a ceasefire on the 100-yd range on the hour and half-hour and then call it on the 50-yd range at quarter-after and quarter-till -- but that is fairly rare. We depend on the cooperation of everyone on the usually less-populated 50-yard range to govern themselves politely and in compliance with the Range Rules.

4. If there IS a confrontation as was described in this thread, the RSO should be contacted immediately and asked to intervene. The phone number for the Barnes Office has been posted here and it's on your badge, but it might be more efficient to send a "runner" to get the RSO.

5. Lastly, I am confused by some of the postings indicating that the problem person was not a current Badgeholder -- if that was so, he could not have brought guests to the range. Only badgeholders can bring guests. If it WAS a badgeholder and it was one of his guests that continued firing, then the Badgeholder would have been cited for the infraction and proper actions taken.

If there is a "bottom-line" to this kind of situation, it is this: Get the RSO involved as soon as possible. That's what we're there for.

By the way: What was the actual date on which this occurred? If he was a badgeholder and he had guests, he will have been logged in to the Guest System and I might be able to identify who he was.

Jim Landerkin
    Supervisory Chief Range Safety Officer
    Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore

GMG66

Apr 19, 2018
    Would kinda make me nervous about putting up a new target, are they gonna cease fire or not.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Since I was referenced several times in this thread, I thought it appropriate to respond.

1. No matter who -- RSO or Badgeholder -- uses the command "Cease Fire" it is an absolute requirement that every person on that specific range must immediately stop firing and make their firearms safe according to AGC definition: Actions Open, Magazines Out, ECIs properly inserted, muzzles oriented downrange. Our ceasefire protocol exceeds the standard NRA definition of "Cease Fire" wherein NRA states the when anyone gives that command, all shooters are to immediately stop firing and await further instruction.

2. Given the disparity in the numbers of shooters on the different ranges, it is typical that the on-duty RSO will allow the shooters on the 50yd range to self-govern while he or she manages the multiple other ranges on the property, both at the Barnes level and "up top." This is especially true on weekdays when there is only one RSO on duty on each shift. Even so, I and some of the other RSOs make it a habit to walk to the 50yd range as they finish up a ceasefire on the 100yd range just to see how the shooters are doing.

3. There are some times where both the 50-yd and the 100-yd ranges are so populated that the RSO will call a ceasefire on the 100-yd range on the hour and half-hour and then call it on the 50-yd range at quarter-after and quarter-till -- but that is fairly rare. We depend on the cooperation of everyone on the usually less-populated 50-yard range to govern themselves politely and in compliance with the Range Rules.

4. If there IS a confrontation as was described in this thread, the RSO should be contacted immediately and asked to intervene. The phone number for the Barnes Office has been posted here and it's on your badge, but it might be more efficient to send a "runner" to get the RSO.

5. Lastly, I am confused by some of the postings indicating that the problem person was not a current Badgeholder -- if that was so, he could not have brought guests to the range. Only badgeholders can bring guests. If it WAS a badgeholder and it was one of his guests that continued firing, then the Badgeholder would have been cited for the infraction and proper actions taken.

If there is a "bottom-line" to this kind of situation, it is this: Get the RSO involved as soon as possible. That's what we're there for.

By the way: What was the actual date on which this occurred? If he was a badgeholder and he had guests, he will have been logged in to the Guest System and I might be able to identify who he was.

Jim Landerkin

Saturday the 14th; I was sitting in the Barnes Range House waiting for a club meeting to start when I saw him come back to sign out his guest. That was somewhere between 15:30-16:15. Yellow wristbands, if it matters.

Just quick credit to the RSOs: There were only two on duty that day; one was handling administrative stuff, the other was supervising the rifle range, which was full; the lady inside, who is always super helpful and polite, told me they had a ton of guests that day for training and walkthroughs, so they were very busy.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for the information.

Saturday the 14th; I was sitting in the Barnes Range House waiting for a club meeting to start when I saw him come back to sign out his guest. That was somewhere between 15:30-16:15. Yellow wristbands, if it matters.

I'll check on it tomorrow when I'm back at the range to see if I can discern who that badgeholder might have been.

Oh ... wait ... YELLOW wristbands? That indicates that he was an Instructor with one of the AGC Certified Instructor Organizations and this situation will be handled differently than if he was "just" a badgeholder. Thanks again. If necessary it would be useful to have your contact information. You can email it to me: jim@landerkin.com.

Last edited:

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I'll check on it tomorrow when I'm back at the range to see if I can discern who that badgeholder might have been.

Oh ... wait ... YELLOW wristbands? That indicates that he was an Instructor with one of the AGC Certified Instructor Organizations and this situation will be handled differently than if he was "just" a badgeholder. Thanks again. If necessary it would be useful to have your contact information. You can email it to me: jim@landerkin.com.

I'll PM you my info.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD

Oh ... wait ... YELLOW wristbands? That indicates that he was an Instructor with one of the AGC Certified Instructor Organizations and this situation will be handled differently than if he was "just" a badgeholder.

I think a tracking radar just went into high PRF target acquisition mode...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    ...He had his wife with the XD, was standing past the firing line with her, coaching her, and they just kept doing their thing; ...

Jim Landerkin

The part in red above, from the OP, was what really got my attention. Yikes! (unless I'm misinterpreting that part)

Oh and have a great Thanksgiving!

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    You are, in theory, a grown man. There are few activities that can become more dangerous than shooting quick, fast, and in a hurry. When someone calls for a cease fire at a shooting range, the mature and responsible thing to do is to put your f*cking gun down and find out why. It's shooting etiquette. People who don't follow it should be shunned.

This^^^

"Cease Fire" or "Cold Range"..... either or means stop.

What a dick.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Bob, I'm not certain what "firing line" he was referring to.

Jim

Hi Jim, I was referring to the white line painted on the downrange side of the concrete pad, right in front of each station in each lane; it's referenced in Section I, C. General Range Safety Rules, No. 21:

"21. The Firing Line on the 50, 100 (lanes 1-90) and 200-yard ranges is the forward edge of the Concrete Pad. In the bench rest area (lanes 91-100) the firing line is in the red zone. (C2)"

I was under the impression that no one except the shooter is to be forward of that line while the range is hot, hence why I pointed it out.

It occurred to me just now that it might've come off like I was saying they were forward of the concrete pad--this was not the case, but she was at her position forward of the line, and he was also forward of the line next to her, at the same station.

Last edited:

Steelteacher

Feb 19, 2020
    PG county
    Ceasefires are mandatory and there’s no excuse. Pull out your cell phone and videotape (dating myself) that person if there’s no RSO and they ignore a ceasefire. Then get an RSO, and offer to show them the video when you bring them over. There’s no excuse.

Jul 16, 2020
    This^^^

"Cease Fire" or "Cold Range"..... either or means stop.

What a dick.

I dunno. On the "grown man" theory. I was at Delmarva last week and the guy next to me started yelling "stop!!!" in a panicked voice when one of my AR's casings flew onto his table.

Public ranges can be special places sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom