• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampybuck

Mar 8, 2009
    Close to the ocean
    So attempted a very simple install of a magpul stock to my 700, used the wrong torque wrench to screw the action screws in, yes you guessed it i used ft #, so hold on it gets better, I then once I realized my screw up ,I stripped the Allen screw, so go buy a extractor and that breaks inside the hole, . Please any recommendations on a gunsmith that could handle this.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Mechanic here. Stripped allens suck. Broken extractors are cause for retirement. Unless you know the trick to them. They're extremely hard and in steel, hard means brittle. Take a punch and a heavy hammer and schwack it. Wear safety glasses and a face shield if you have it. I also place a rag I've punched a hole through to slow down any debris.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Mechanic here. Stripped allens suck. Broken extractors are cause for retirement. Unless you know the trick to them. They're extremely hard and in steel, hard means brittle. Take a punch and a heavy hammer and schwack it. Wear safety glasses and a face shield if you have it. I also place a rag I've punched a hole through to slow down any debris.

Don't encourage swampybuck, just let him take it to a 'smith. It's hosed up enough as it is...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Depending on what exactly it is, I tend to grab my hardest HSS drill bit and drill press if it'll fit in it, and just drill all the things out, then re-tap for the next size up bolts and call it a day.

Now that's on NOT guns. That's on engines, transmissions, other mechanical bits.

My last fun one was breaking a bit off in my F-ing impact driver. Then the extractor broke off in it. Took me about 2hrs, but I finally got that B out and didn't destroy the impact driver's bit holder in the end.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Must have just missed you. We were there for our first time to inquire about a pin and weld job.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    My wife once had Ford van with a sticky Bendix in the starter. She was with a friend when it stuck again. When she raised the hood and got a big Cresent wrench to whack it, Her freind said "does that REALLY work" the Wife said "ONLY if you know WHERE to hit it"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom