• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I’m in the market for a Maryland legal precision gas gun in 308 ( also considering 6.5cm)

The field has been narrowed down to;

La Rue OBR 20”
    HK MR762A1
    FN Scar20s
    Lwrc Repr
    Drake Athens 308

I’m looking for a sub moa shooter.
    3500-4000 price range.

Which one should I get? Your input is greatly appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    AFAIK, all .30 gas guns are Merryland legal. The world is your oyster!

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I believe the M1A is legal in 6.5cm if that is among the choices.

I was looking into an LWRC REPR around when the fsa2013 crapstorm happened. Got other guns instead. Have a M1A SOCOM 16 but still would like a 308 AR.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't have any of them but I'd heard great things about the OBR, that is what I'd choose.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    You should add POF to your list as well https://pof-usa.com/. I know several PRS gas gun guys that love their POFs.

I had the LWRC REPR in 308, it was a great gun, but I sold it it fund another project. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again in 6.5 since that is my go to choice now.

Tstras

Not a Junior Member
    Jan 16, 2010
    Harford Co.
    The OBR only comes in .308 I believe, however the Predatobr comes in several large frame calibers. If I were buying today, I'd look at the LaRue ultimate upper kits in the caliber of your choosing and buy a lower with the kit. I think the kits are considerably less money for potentially the same accuracy as the OBR and Predatobr.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You should get on SnipersHide and ask this question. As others have said, MD legality is not going to be a big part in this decision. Accuracy will be.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’m in the market for a Maryland legal precision gas gun in 308 ( also considering 6.5cm)

The field has been narrowed down to;

La Rue OBR 20”
    HK MR762A1
    FN Scar20s
    Lwrc Repr
    Drake Athens 308

3500-4000 price range.

Which one should I get? Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Last I looked that SCAR 20s may exceed your top end budget by a little. So will the HK I think. Also, I’ve been reading good things about Seekins Precision ($2k roughly) gas guns. I have a DPMS LR-SASS ($1800-$2k), it’s pretty accurate that I’ve found so far. Unfortunately I haven’t been out past 200 yds yet, but I plan to stretch it this spring. It has a very good reputation of being accurate at distance, and many SWAT teams and some military outfits allegedly deploy them regularly. I’ll find out and let you know.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Last I looked that SCAR 20s may exceed your top end budget by a little. So will the HK I think. Also, I’ve been reading good things about Seekins Precision ($2k roughly) gas guns. I have a DPMS LR-SASS ($1800-$2k), it’s pretty accurate that I’ve found so far. Unfortunately I haven’t been out past 200 yds yet, but I plan to stretch it this spring. It has a very good reputation of being accurate at distance, and many SWAT teams and some military outfits allegedly deploy them regularly. I’ll find out and let you know.

I’m probably going with the HK MR762A1. These are around the 3400 price range. The scar20 is around 3800 if you look around.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    sounds like you decided, but if not, look for a les baer. i have one in .308, super accurate. they stopped making but i've seen a few for sale on snipershide.

also, i had a dpms 24" heavy barrel .308 that was easily sub moa out to 600, the furthest i measured, after i put in a nice geissele trigger.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, maybe we need to clarify: are you looking for a PRS precision gas gun, or just a gas gun that's accurate to blast on the range? Because there's a lot of the latter, but I'd be much choosier about the former.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    I’m inclined to recommend the LWRC. If not for any reason other than to support a darn good Maryland company. I interned there and it was a pretty amazing experience.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, the latter, which is fine. LaRue OBR 7.62, LWRC REPR MKII, FN SCAR20S, GA Precision GAP10 G2, and JP Enterprises LRP-07 are all good choices.

What some people don't really understand is that there are a lot of examples of 308 rifles that can shoot a sub-MOA group once in a while with excellent ammo. The trick is finding one that can consistently do it on demand, which is much harder.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Precision Firearms is one I didn't see mentioned. A friend has a 260 and 308 from them.They are very accurate and are 1/2 moa with a decent shooter. Both have high dollar Krieger barrels that Precision chambered.
    I built my Grendel with a barrel and receivers from them. The fit and finish were really nice. They are at local shows all the time so you can check them out.
    The only disadvantage would be resell a MR762 or SR25 are going to hold value better.

And if you are a shop to you drop type I would look at the LMT MWS

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have a couple of old school m1a rifles that are sub moa shooters. But it took a lot of money , research, gunsmithing to get them to that state.

I think an FN Scar20 , OBR, REPR etc. can deliver the same accuracy for less money , if you factor in all the tweaks that are required to make other platforms into sub moa shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom