• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No, but they make a KS47 which is neither copycat or banned by name. It's an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and takes AK mags. The AK mags are cheaper and more reliable. I tried twice to order one, in two different ways, no dice.

They won't let civilians order their completed firearms or completed lowers and have them shipped to FFL. An FFL has to order them directly and then transfer to you, which is what I plan to do.

I prefer the modularity of the AR platform and the AK mags take care of any feeding reliability issues. you can also order the KS47 lower(when in stock) and build it that way.

Food For Thought

Unfortunately not with the KS47. See from this post onward in another thread ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4423294

There's similar information at ar15.com, on Youtube, and even in the comment section on the PSA page for the KS47.

With many of their KS47 lowers/builds, one is relegated to using PMAGs as the bolt face often rides on AK-47 mag feed lips (especially if one grips the mag while firing or rests on a support). With the polymer mags, they get shaved down to a point where the rifle will run. With bakelite or metal mags, one gets a lot of stoppages.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Unfortunately not with the KS47. See from this post onward in another thread ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4423294

There's similar information at ar15.com, on Youtube, and even in the comment section on the PSA page for the KS47.

With many of their KS47 lowers/builds, one is relegated to using PMAGs as the bolt face often rides on AK-47 mag feed lips (especially if one grips the mag while firing or rests on a support). With the polymer mags, they get shaved down to a point where the rifle will run. With bakelite or metal mags, one gets a lot of stoppages.
    I read that as well, but compared to retrofitted, goofy looking AR mags, that nose dive and bind, I'd still rather be willing to work with AK mags.

Would a bit of Dremel work not remedy that on a steel mag? What about contouring the parallel rails on the underside of the bolt carrier?

I skimmed the post, didn't want to read the whole thing, it's long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    While I'm an out-of-stater now, I'd much rather go the PSAK47 route, but the PSA one (the G2) hasn't established itself yet as to users being satisfied with the way it is manufactured. The blem price is right, but other factors are uncertain, based on my readings. Dang!

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD

PSA should implement this on their KS47 lowers if they don't have a gen 2 change that negates the issue.
    PSA haven't had their Stripped KS47 lower in stock for a long time, it occurs to me that they may be gearing up for a redesign. I hope so. I want one.

And you're right, it would be nice if one could be able to apply pressure to the mag without causing reliability issues.

I did take that into consideration. I've used ones with AR mags and had many many feed issues.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's a fun rifle otherwise - relatively lightweight and very pleasant to shoot with the AK-47 PMAGs. I refuse to part with mine despite the issue, and probably will eventually go the route of the Erwos linked fix to use the bakelite and other mags that I've stocked (unless PSA offers a similar fix so as to not void any warranty, with a reasonable turnaround period on the repairs).

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Really? It was that Bad? You're killing my dreams here.

when it ran right, it was fun to shoot. I liked it a lot because you could run any cheap ak ammo you could find though it if you shot outdoors.

The deal breaker for me was it was just undependable. For what that rifle cost, especially when they first came out, I expected wayyyyyy better.

I'd advise on waiting for a gen 2 before buying one. PSA is WELL AWARE of the issues on that rifle, yet has done nothing but sidestep them and claim they don't exist. They flat out used their customer base for their R&D.

I wont buy from them again.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    My earlier comments were directed towards the PSAK47 (Gen 2) rifle that PSA occasionally has for sale, not the KS47. As to the PSAK47, its first version had some cast parts, which users objected to. I believe that G2 model has corrected this (not sure) with forged parts, but now users are complaining about how the rifle is assembled - rivets etc. Has anybody had a good experience with the PSAK47 (G2) rifle?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Oh, I definitely agree that waiting for a Gen2 version that solves the magazine overinsertion issue is a good idea. I would not be surprised if they solved it via a new upper, though... it seems to me like that would be the easiest place to solve over-insertion issues. Just mill out the upper in a couple places so you can put in a steel or aluminum insert to keep that magazine from pushing upwards. That's exactly how Sig solved the problem on the Sig 556R, and it worked like a charm.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I sooooo want a AK47. It's too bad they are banned though. So I guess I'll never own one unless I leave this state.

Are there any AK type of rifles that aren't banned? For under 7 hundred bucks? I really want an AK to add too my rifle collection im trying to build but I don't want to spend a ton. I want to keep it under 7 hundred.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I sooooo want a AK47. It's too bad they are banned though. So I guess I'll never own one unless I leave this state.

Are there any AK type of rifles that aren't banned? For under 7 hundred bucks? I really want an AK to add too my rifle collection im trying to build but I don't want to spend a ton. I want to keep it under 7 hundred.
    The MSP are currently telling people that non-7.62x39 AKs are good to go, apparently.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Are there any AK type of rifles that aren't banned? For under 7 hundred bucks?

I've been looking myself, for under $700 you're ) likely to find lower quality or heavily used. I've been looking for 2 months. Especially something that takes AK mags, they tend to be more specialized and there's a premium. There are a few out there that run between $900-1100 that are nice. But if you find something in that range let me know. I want the KS47 so badly because I will only be running cheap steel ammo and want to kind of keep it simple and cheap all around.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...sba3-brace-big-igloo-aloha-custom-finish.html
    Boogtastic
    Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 23.58.50.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 23.59.18.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom