• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’ve been getting back into reloading (and casting) and I have a few odd rounds I’d like to reload for. Aside from A few standard rounds, I want to load for for some atypical rounds like 9mm Makarov, 7.62 Tokarev, and 38 S&W.

I have a fair amount of books (Lyman, Hornady, Sierra) for reference. However, some cartridges like the 38 S&W aren’t as well documented. Lyman 49 and 50 have a few loads, but the Lyman books from the 50s and 60s have more bullet weights and powders listed. For example, the older Lyman books say 2 gr. Red Dot is a starting point for 158 gr. 38 S&W. However, the new Lyman books don’t even list Red Dot as an option.

Long story short, is it safe to use old load data as a starting point to work up a load? I’m guessing today’s Red Dot is the same as Red Dot from yesteryear?

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I would say that yes, you could use it as a guideline, but with certain caveats:

1) Recognize that pressure testing methods have improved over the years and old data, originally considered fine, may actually be unsafe. I've been handloading since '71 and have seen some pretty big changes in data.
    2) Components and packaging methods can/do change, and small manufacturing and storage changes can affect loading considerations.

In lieu of the normally recommended 10% reduction, I would probably start at 15% below the maximum charges shown and carefully work up to the desired performance level.

Being a little overly cautious won't hurt for what seems to be a limited selection of cartridges, and it's not like all of your data has to come from old sources.

There is also a large number of data sources online, such as Hodgdon.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thanks!

I even managed to find the 7.62 Nagant (7.62x38R) in one older book (it only has one recipe though).

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    The above caveats are spot on and important. Been pumping a press for 45 years and have manuals dating back that far and further. Charges are generally higher in the older manuals for just about everything. One consideration is the formulation of some powders has changed over the years making old data possibly dangerous. Blue Dot is one that comes to mind as a recent such powder.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’ll add that, if you’re using powders by Alliant, the fellows down at Radford, VA are awfully obliging and accessible - all’s they ask is that callers / emailers don’t expect “same day” answers or replies - all the people YOU WANT answers from all have full, FULL time jobs none of which actually include “talking to hobbyist reloaders.” And yet, they do make time (just GIVE them time).

Best o’ Success!

(If you’re lucky enough / happen to get him on the line, tell “Paul” that “Thor” sends his best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom