• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    What would have happened if he dropped the guys weapon and broke the scope or damaged it!

The first rule is do not handle someone weapons with out permission. No matter what you personally think, it is not alright to touch a person weapon with out asking. The moment he picked it up he took a very big risk.

What if he grabbed it and for some reason it did fire and striking someone. It is the one holding the weapon that is at fault, not the owner!

I would not have been so polite to him when he said it was for my safety.

I get the idea about being safe but some of the self entitled range officer take things to far.

If a weapon is proven safe and not pointed down range there is no reason that it can't be handled.
    People want to clean muzzleloader change out guns and even look at what others are shooting during the break and there isn't anything wrong with that as long as the weapon is proven safe and pointed in safe direction.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    If you've ever been to myrtle grove on a busy day you'd know there isn't really a safe direction.
    Straight up is safe

Someone cleaning a muzzleloader with butt plate on the ground and barrel straight up is safe

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Lot of people do
    And some even bring single shot pistols and change barrels during break.

Some pistols have interchange slide and people may want to change them.

People also bring more then one weapon and use the break to switch them.

All these actions can be accomplished with the weapon pointed up.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Of coarse they can. It's getting everyone on the same page of doing it in a safe manner. Everyone has different opinions on safety. My opinion is classic, "better safe than sorry". And let's be real, muzzle loaders are not as popular there as the semi auto pistols and rifles.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    It depends on the time of year. In the next few weeks you will see lot more as muzzleloader season comes in October.

You kind of hit the nail on the head.
    Just because you don't think something is safe doesn't mean that it isn't safe. People have different points and experience levels.

Case in point about the guy picking up someone's weapon with out asking. The owner knew 100% it wasn't loaded and was waiting on a break. Thete is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is grabbing someone else weapon with out permission.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I've herd several people complain about this guy he's not park police, ranger just a person that polices the range to keep himself busy I haven't run into him yet so I cant say first hand .I agree range educate is fire arm pointing down range chamber open safety on hands off when range goes cold. If he wants to ask someone to complete these procedures in the name of range safety even stand their until shooter complies if he wants but you do not touch another shooters weapon :sad20:

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    "range educate" means different things to different people.
    Just because you or him thinks something should be a certen way doesn't mean that it is the only way to be safe.
    You say it woukd be ok for him to stand thete and watch you until you comply with his will, what if the shooter doesn't agree with him and refuses to obay him.

As I said before you do not need to be 10% hands off to still be safe
    You say you want weapons pointed down range, but think of this. During a break you go down range and you can have 10 or more weapons pointed at you. That isn't the safest place to be. The range really needs gun racks on the bench so during a break any uncased weapon is put in the rack and pointed up and not in the direction of people.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Picking up someone elses weapon with out permission is a big NO GO. If he wanted to make sure it was unloaded he could have asked to be shown but as he is not offically the range officer he has no authority. If it was my gun he picked up there would have been alot of words exchanged.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    "range educate" means different things to different people.
    Just because you or him thinks something should be a certen way doesn't mean that it is the only way to be safe.
    You say it woukd be ok for him to stand thete and watch you until you comply with his will, what if the shooter doesn't agree with him and refuses to obay him.

As I said before you do not need to be 10% hands off to still be safe
    You say you want weapons pointed down range, but think of this. During a break you go down range and you can have 10 or more weapons pointed at you. That isn't the safest place to be. The range really needs gun racks on the bench so during a break any uncased weapon is put in the rack and pointed up and not in the direction of people.

No I don't think its ok for him to stand their this guy has been doing this for years shooters have complain nothing has been done to change his actions. If you refuse you refuse I think the ranger lives on property. Any range I have been to in the past the procedures I made in my earlier post are the rules you followed I believe it to be safer then someone fondling their weapon while people are down range use this time to reload empty mags its possible the person at the table next to you could be their first time ever at a range

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    What you are saying is you don't trust the other shooters to handle their weapons safe or component enough to ensure that the weapon is cleared when you are down range.

But you take no issue with the same person shooting beside you. You have total faith that they will keep all shots down range. You have faith that the ammo they have is the proper for the weapon they have.a nd that their weapons is functioning properly.

The majority of"accidents" happen when the range is active. If you do not have enough trust in other shooters to be able to preform the most basic operation (such as making sure weapon is unloaded) maybe you should rethink the pass time you have chosen or look for a place you can be totally alone.

I personally fell the ones screaming this is for your safety is on a ego trip and want to push what they consider to be the only safe way to do things is their way onto others. They think they are the only ones that know how to be safe.

As I said before there is no reason someone can not clean muzzleloader. Remove slide/ upper to change calibers , or switching out weapons during a break.

When the range is full shooters only have an hour to shoot before they are supposed to relinquish the bench to people waiting. This is an effective use of the idle time.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I went on Saturday to dial in my new optic on my MK18. Didn't stay long. After doing some searches on this site I think I found out who Crazy Al is. Main reason I didn't stay long.

Shorter Filipino guy? Has a couple of rifle drag bags with him? Wearing a dark blue shirt (most of the time)? If yes, then that was possibly Al.

If it was a slightly heavy set white guy with hat and whistle, then you likely met 'Yogi'. He's "interesting".

If that was genuinely Al that handled and cycled your weapon w/out permission - I'll apologize for him right now. Although after shooting with him for years, I find it odd for him to do that - he normally won't do that with strangers firearms.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Shorter Filipino guy? Has a couple of rifle drag bags with him? Wearing a dark blue shirt (most of the time)? If yes, then that was possibly Al.

If it was a slightly heavy set white guy with hat and whistle, then you likely met 'Yogi'. He's "interesting".

If that was genuinely Al that handled and cycled your weapon w/out permission - I'll apologize for him right now. Although after shooting with him for years, I find it odd for him to do that - he normally won't do that with strangers firearms.

I know the Al you are talking about as well, and am sure he is not the "crazy Al" being disscussed.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am glad somebody cleared this up. I have shot beside "Al" many times, him being the short Filipino man that has some real nice rimfires. Has always been a real nice guy that I enjoy talking .22's with. Never took him as someone who would act out of line, like I said one of the much nicer fellow shooters to share the range with. Now about that red headed fellow with the whistle, I thought he got banned from the range for his behavior. I was at the range one day with wife and youngest daughter. He came strolling over to offer advice to them, I told him politely to scram, and he strolled off to bother someone else.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am glad somebody cleared this up. I have shot beside "Al" many times, him being the short Filipino man that has some real nice rimfires. Has always been a real nice guy that I enjoy talking .22's with. Never took him as someone who would act out of line, like I said one of the much nicer fellow shooters to share the range with. Now about that red headed fellow with the whistle, I thought he got banned from the range for his behavior. I was at the range one day with wife and youngest daughter. He came strolling over to offer advice to them, I told him politely to scram, and he strolled off to bother someone else.
    That's yogi. Always wearing white shirt.. likes to hog lane etc.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I know the Al you are talking about as well, and am sure he is not the "crazy Al" being discussed.

We've discussed 'crazy al' plenty of times, he got the nickname due to light-hearted shenanigans - and the occasional "here, hold my beer and watch this" moments. For lx1x, SCARCQB, and myself - we mean no insult when we refer to Al as crazy al.

Yogi (aka Henry) was banned for a year, that was the extent that DNR could go for his behavior. While he may mean well, his demeanor rubs a lot of people the wrong.

**Again, if testudo had Al handling/cycling his rifle w/out permission - I'll be the first to apologize. That isn't kosher, period. The only people I can think of that would do such a thing, are Dan or Ronny (both DNR employees that maintain and over see the range). They are both taller (late 40's to late 50's) white guys with good sized beards - and if it was on a weekend, they wouldn't be wearing anything with DNR on it since the DNR won't pay for them to officially maintain a presence on the weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom