• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I am sure the no standing is due to when you shoot a handgun standing, at a target at 15 yards, you are shooting downwards. this is due to the concrete slab being 6 inches higher than the grade of the range, and the target stands are of a height that makes them correct to shoot from the height of the benches. thus the odd "berm" on the right half of the range. a better use of dirt would be to raise the first 15 yards of the range about 8 inches so when you put the target on the ground its higher. then if you had a target pinned to the top half of the target stand your standing handgun shots would be able to hit the berm at the end of the range. if you have your target center of the target stand as it is, you are probably having your standing handgun shots land about 40 yards downrange (thus someone's idea for the 30ish yard berm)

I understand the purpose of the range, I also understand that you hunt and shoot not sitting at a bench just right. I also understand that people have and shoot handguns, and most of the time you want to stand and shoot a handgun like you would in real life. but what can you expect for 20 bucks a year.

Feb 20, 2016
    I have not had chance to get there since they reopen. But if what you say I'd correct it is totally bull shit! How can hunters practice off hand shooting or defensive shooters practice on a bench! Need to stand up to them and show this s not an acceptable rule change. It can harm more then it solve.

Did they do away with the rock encrusted dirt mounds at the far end of the range?

That was also something stupid and very dangerous because of all the rocks. We can't shoot a steel target because they are scared of ricochet but they intentionally put a dirt berm full of Hard Rock's 30 yards out that will Ricochet back of the shooters.

Yeah, I did feel a little silly sitting down while shooting a handgun. But everyone else was doing it, and I'm not one for civil disobedience at a range.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    What do we expect for $20 a year
    Quite a bit. that money was supposed to help maintain the shooting range.
    Take my $20 and x it be the thousands of permits sold a year then add the day permits and you get a nice chunk of money every year.

I do agree they should raise the dirt in the shooting lanes to make it even or just little higher then the platform. They have the gravel pit just to the left of the range.a team of loafers could have it done in one day.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    They did away with the so called pistol berms but the put staggered smaller berms downrange. As for the no off-hand/standing rule Dan did explain the reasons for it but I wasn't paying attention. He also said something about only allowing 10 rounds to be loaded at a time but he said they did away with that for now.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    I went on Saturday to dial in my new optic on my MK18. Didn't stay long. After doing some searches on this site I think I found out who Crazy Al is. Main reason I didn't stay long.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Honestly it is a higher chance of ricochet from sitting at the bench then standing. Sitting the angle ls less and will allow the bullet to bounce better. Standing is a sharper angle and less chance of bouncing. And it is better aligned to the center of the backstop.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    What did he do now? Lol

Let's just say he didn't believe me when I told him my weapon was empty when we went cold so he took it upon himself to pick up my weapon without asking permission and cycle it to check. I didn't appreciate it.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Good way to get your fingers broken.

First rule never touch another person weapon with out permission.

I hope you yelled at him.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    I did. But all he would say was, "It's for safety sir." I didn't want to cause a scene so I shot one more mag to finish zeroing the optic and left.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Let's just say he didn't believe me when I told him my weapon was empty when we went cold so he took it upon himself to pick up my weapon without asking permission and cycle it to check. I didn't appreciate it.
    There were too many close calls in that range. If in fact he can't see the chamber being empty. Why didn't you show him it is. Or carry a chamber flag with you.

Just my 2 cents.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I did. But all he would say was, "It's for safety sir." I didn't want to cause a scene so I shot one more mag to finish zeroing the optic and left.

I was mad for you, I'm the guy you borrowed the remoil from
    You shouldn't touch someone's firearm with out asking first.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Nope.. first rule is keep chamber open so it's visible that it is in fact unloaded.

Well then let me show you. Don't ask me if it is unloaded then take it upon yourself to check it. He clearly saw me finish shooting, unload the weapon then sit behind the line on the board for about ten minutes waiting for the line to go cold.

I was mad for you, I'm the guy you borrowed the remoil from
    You shouldn't touch someone's firearm with out asking first.

Appreciate the assist there bud. My CLP decided to leak out into my ruck on the drive over. Haha.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Well then let me show you. Don't ask me if it is unloaded then take it upon yourself to check it. He clearly saw me finish shooting, unload the weapon then sit behind the line on the board for about ten minutes waiting for the line to go cold.

Once again.. If you left the chamber up and it is visible to someone else it will make it easy for everyone on the line and rso to see it is in fact empty.

If you follow what I suggested life goes on.

Numerous times.. people handle firearms while somebody is down range. Yes including sighting in their scopes. Hence the regulars are a little "jumpy".

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Once again.. I'd you left the chamber up and it is visible to someone else it will make it easy for everyone on the line and rso to see it is in fact empty.

If you follow what I suggested life goes on.

Numerous times.. people handle firearms while somebody is down range. Yes including sighting in their scopes. Hence the regulars are a little "jumpy".

I wasn't sitting at the table. He asked me if it was empty, I said it was and stood up to walk to the table. I guess that two foot walk was too far for him so he took it upon himself to handle my firearm. That is my point of discontent. I had no problem locking the bolt to the rear for him. He didn't give me a chance. I don't feel comfortable with strangers deciding they can just grab my weapons because they feel like it. I don't know him and he doesn't know me.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    I don't see the pissing contest here, lx1x. There was no argument. He asked me a question, I answered him, and then he took it upon himself to handle my property. All he had to do was ask me to pull the bolt back which I was walking to the table to do from the two feet I was sitting behind it. We can just agree to disagree on this I guess.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Good way to get your fingers broken.

First rule never touch another person weapon with out permission.

I hope you yelled at him.

I don't see the pissing contest here, lx1x. There was no argument. He asked me a question, I answered him, and then he took it upon himself to handle my property. All he had to do was ask me to pull the bolt back which I was walking to the table to do from the two feet I was sitting behind it. We can just agree to disagree on this I guess.
    Not here but at the range it sounds like.

Al isn't a bad guy. He was probably just got caught in the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom