• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Nice to see that this loaded mag thread didn't get jacked and fall by the wayside like all of the others that the OP mentioned. :rolleyes:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Continental will never get any of my money.

I'm a few minutes away and refuse to go there unless in a huge bind.

They treat you like you are wasting their time. They prices are WAY HIGH. It's more fun shooting outside anyway.

If I NEED targets or something cheap I'll suck it up and grab some targets. I'm not spending my money there.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I got the lecture, seen it given to others. Still, I like Continental. Maybe I'm not as sensitive and don't let my feelings get hurt as easy. Maybe it's cause I'm a bit grumpy myself and I understand those types better than you. I'm just glad you guys are freeing up those lanes for when I wanna go shoot...Thanks! :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Jeepdriver, adodson and i think gibby(although i mistake the third all the time) are all terrific people and especially jeepdriver(chad) contributes much more than most of the members of this board to the gun community. Their store policy is no loaded mags...they also don't allow headshots(it drops the line) or realistic targets...not all of those are the store's fault. they DO have to buy insurance and are dragged by the gonads into some policy. I understand that i may not bring loaded mags there and i don't because of the hassle i've gotten in the past from the roadie-lookin worker there.

if you abide by their rules, they're a good bunch of guys and the facilities are nice. As a whole the store is very good...but there are one or two workers that give the store a bad name. One old bald guy there used to have terrible customer service, but after seeing a thread here became MUCH better. His ability to take feedback and change rather than get pissed earned a lot of respect from me. Don't write off the range or the store just because of one policy...just know it ahead of time and read the sign on the door as you walk in and you should be fine. It pisses me of too, but it is what it is and they're not exactly hiding it...it's on the entrance door before you come in. if you came in with loaded mags, that's on you if you have to unload them.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    How about some documentation on the "no stopping anywhere with guns in the car" law.

Well, the handgun law says it is illegal to "transport" a handgun . . . unless engaged in, on the way to, or returning from, certain activities. There are several approved "Activities," including the commonly cited one about "informal target practice":
    http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.

(a) Prohibited.-

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

. . .

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

. . . .(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

I think FPS or someone else copied the California law (or somewhere else) and showed how it differed from MD law by saying the exception only applied while you were "actually in the act of traveling" or something similar. The implication was that the MD law may have some wiggle room for stops. It sounded reasonable to be, but I'm no MD lawyer.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Well, the handgun law says it is illegal to "transport" a handgun . . . unless engaged in, on the way to, or returning from, certain activities. There are several approved "Activities," including the commonly cited one about "informal target practice":

I think FPS or someone else copied the California law (or somewhere else) and showed how it differed from MD law by saying the exception only applied while you were "actually in the act of traveling" or something similar. The implication was that the MD law may have some wiggle room for stops. It sounded reasonable to be, but I'm no MD lawyer.

I'd like an answer.

Last week the wife and I were coming back from a range and had to get milk for the baby at the store. We couldn't stop due to the guns, so she had to execute a tactical roll-out from the moving vehicle. I drove around the block twice and she hopped on the hood and climbed in through the sunroof to get back in.

It would have been nicer to just idle in the parking lot like normal people.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

IIRC (which is not always the case!) The California law had the word "directly" in the law. The point being discussed was that if Maryland meant directly they would have put it in there.

I'd like to think that's the case, but it would be nice to have it clarified in favor of errand running.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    That's true, Patrick, but even non-gun people understand this. I was driving back from Tom Perroni's course and got stuck in traffic on I-95. It came to a grinding halt a few times, so I just took the shoulder and went along slowly until traffic picked up. I didn't want to break the gun transport law, as I understand it. A few people were honking and flipping me off, and one guy even swerved at me. But, when I yelled "I have guns in the car!" they left me alone. It's like the automatically understood.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    That's true, Patrick, but even non-gun people understand this. I was driving back from Tom Perroni's course and got stuck in traffic on I-95. It came to a grinding halt a few times, so I just took the shoulder and went along slowly until traffic picked up. I didn't want to break the gun transport law, as I understand it. A few people were honking and flipping me off, and one guy even swerved at me. But, when I yelled "I have guns in the car!" they left me alone. It's like the automatically understood.
    :lol::lol2:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Jeepdriver, adodson and i think gibby(although i mistake the third all the time) are all terrific people and especially jeepdriver(chad) contributes much more than most of the members of this board to the gun community. Their store policy is no loaded mags...they also don't allow headshots(it drops the line) or realistic targets...not all of those are the store's fault. they DO have to buy insurance and are dragged by the gonads into some policy. I understand that i may not bring loaded mags there and i don't because of the hassle i've gotten in the past from the roadie-lookin worker there.

if you abide by their rules, they're a good bunch of guys and the facilities are nice. As a whole the store is very good...but there are one or two workers that give the store a bad name. One old bald guy there used to have terrible customer service, but after seeing a thread here became MUCH better. His ability to take feedback and change rather than get pissed earned a lot of respect from me. Don't write off the range or the store just because of one policy...just know it ahead of time and read the sign on the door as you walk in and you should be fine. It pisses me of too, but it is what it is and they're not exactly hiding it...it's on the entrance door before you come in. if you came in with loaded mags, that's on you if you have to unload them.

I didn't intend on flipping this thread into a Continental bashing. As previously posted, "That was my first and only time on that range. Other than the loaded mag confrontation, everything else was fine." The guy that I dealt with at checkin was firm with his position, but still courteous and professional.

I honestly never noticed a sign on the door about no loaded mags. Probably was just too excited to get inside and shoot my friend's Macs. And I can respect any business owners right to make the rules in their establishment. Being told to unload 20+ mags just came as an unpleasant surprise. But, after about 50 rounds in full auto.........life was good again.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Our ride home from the same course went through Amish Country. Those horses are lucky they didn't stop us, or I'd have had to euthanize them under MD gun transport laws.

Which brings me to my real question: "What goes clop, clop, BANG!"

Answer: An Amish Drive-By Shooting

I'm so glad I started drinking early today.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

I have zero issues with their rules. Heck make it a green gun only range if they wish. That's up to them.

My issues are several poor customer service experiances, very high prices, being treated with general disrespect, and been giving the "dont know" and walked away from. A few buddies have had the same experiance recently which is ashame.

This is usually an expensive hobby. To lose several local buyers for more or less "stupid" reasons is poor business. Store policy has nothing to do with my dislike for them.

I'm sure there are several workers between the two stores who are great. I've wanted to like the shop but have left with a bad taste in my mouth each time. To those who work there and are nice guys I mean no disrespect to you.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you for the letter. I have made a copy for myself and one to post in a location I know LEO's frequent.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Join AGC, no one looks at any of your equipment there and the RSO's are friendly. Many options for the handgunner. I'm thrilled I gave up on those indoor ranges that want to handle and check my firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom