• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thoughts on this model? Friend from out of state is selling his out of necessity for $700 shipped. Low round count, well maintained. Manufacture date 1978-79.

I saw a couple on gunbroker for that price but I also saw some that were significantly less. Anything I should look for in particular?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Barrel length? Original wood grips or rubber grips? Come with the original box?

Need to check for flame cutting and a crack on the forcing cone.

State to state transfer costs make this a premium price if no original grips or box.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I say good price, and prices on those K-frame magnums are only going up. You can get a new model 66 for that price, but it will have MIM internals, lower build quality, and the internal lock.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Without seeing pictures or knowing what you are exactly buying, I'd say you're doing just okay. He's not giving it away, but it is a K-frame. Of course the condition will determine it's real value. It's up to you, if you really want it, then there's a premium to be added. If it's just another handgun, one that you can live without, maybe haggle on the price. My ball park figure on this handgun would be $550-$600 if it's in nice shape and is in the configuration you're wanting.

Good Luck!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Agree with the above. With effort, I'm sure I could find one in good to very good condition for $550 or less. If you want to help the guy out, maybe $650 for a good friend who needed the cash, but $700 is pricey (unless NIB, unfired, and you were a collector vs shooter).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here's the picture he posted. He's gonna send me more when he's done with his old man dr appts.

13177224_10209576328548915_101931943165743288_n.jpg

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It is a Pinned & Recessed model, which makes it collectible from the get go. (Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder allowing rounds to be flush to the top of the cylinder when rounds are dropped in)

Poor picture quality for this day and age. Grips look OK, with what looks like a little left handed holster wear? Probably no original box and papers ?

It is a Pinned & Recessed model, which makes it collectible from the get go. (Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder allowing rounds to be flush to the top of the cylinder when rounds are dropped in)

Poor picture quality for this day and age. Grips look OK, with what looks like a little left handed holster wear? Probably no original box and papers ?

Unfortunately no original box. I am a collector so collector value is important to me. So the pinned and recessed model adds value?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Damn, just picked up a holster for that M66-1 yesterday at a pawn shop just south of Cambridge. I said to them "this looks like it has something to do with that Ruger Security Six you have in the gun case over in the other side of the shop".

They said "yup, no one's expressed any interest in either one so we split them up." They quoted $10 for the holster (Gould & Goodrich) and I moved so fast I ripped a $20 bill in half pulling it out of my money clip!

I felt bad splitting up gun & holster but the Security Six is still there--with honest wear and dirty barrel, likely from a Brinks guard job--with $549 on the tag.

I think someone can get them down another $50, but they tend to be unrealistic with their prices at this pawn shop. It's about 1.5 miles south of the Hyatt, on the right side if interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      88.9 KB · Views: 434

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Unfortunately no original box. I am a collector so collector value is important to me. So the pinned and recessed model adds value?

Yup, there is a clear dividing line in interest between P&R guns and non-P&R. (don't get me started on how I feel about the internal lock--Hillary Hole--models).

On any day I would buy that 66-1 over ANY new S&W model or any model made since the 90s if I only wanted one. And go shoot it fer Crikey's sake.

You need to inspect the gun in person. Those pics he gave you are like the gauzy pics that old Hollywood broads cherished.

Yup, there is a clear dividing line in interest between P&R guns and non-P&R. (don't get me started on how I feel about the internal lock--Hillary Hole--models).

On any day I would buy that 66-1 over ANY new S&W model or any model made since the 90s if I only wanted one. And go shoot it fer Crikey's sake.

You need to inspect the gun in person. Those pics he gave you are like the gauzy pics that old Hollywood broads cherished.

Yeah he's in Mass, inspecting it in person is out of the question. But he will send me more pics later

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You can practically count the indivdual hreads in the yarn used in the stitching of the holster in my pic. He can certainly do better in his pics.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I believe the factory stocks would have been targets, not magnas. Based on the current market, $600 would be a price that wouldn't hurt you if the condition is good. Check the forcing cone for a crack from excessive shooting of 125 grain, 357 magnum ammo. My no dash 66 would be one of the last to go.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Damn, just picked up a holster for that M66-1 yesterday at a pawn shop just south of Cambridge. I said to them "this looks like it has something to do with that Ruger Security Six you have in the gun case over in the other side of the shop".

They said "yup, no one's expressed any interest in either one so we split them up." They quoted $10 for the holster (Gould & Goodrich) and I moved so fast I ripped a $20 bill in half pulling it out of my money clip!

I felt bad splitting up gun & holster but the Security Six is still there--with honest wear and dirty barrel, likely from a Brinks guard job--with $549 on the tag.

I think someone can get them down another $50, but they tend to be unrealistic with their prices at this pawn shop. It's about 1.5 miles south of the Hyatt, on the right side if interested.

I've handled that Security Six at least 5 different times over the last year. And then put it back. Even though it's been there quite awhile, they aren't interested in moving on it. :shrug: Said it belonged to Sheriff's Deputy, but who knows?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I would like to know if the seller can explain the source of some nasty marring seen on the crane just below the barrel. You can see it in shot #4--something like impact pits right into the metal. Pretty unusual to see marring there.

Forcing cone looks fine and flame cutting is minimal. I would also like to see a close-up of the sights. The rear blade should be nice and square. If one side is rounded off, it's an indication it had been dropped right on the sight . Same for a damage-free front blade sight.

Ejection rod looks good--no plyer marks on it that I can see indicating someone trying to tighten it improperly. In person, you would spin the cylinder while the action is open and watch that ejection rod for waggle--an indication the ejection rod was bent when the gun was dropped.

Maybe the seller can text you a quick video of him spinning that cylinder with the crane open so you can watch that ejector rod.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I gotta say, that's not a $700 revolver. The most I'm paying for that handgun is $575. Your mileage may vary, but that's not a collector's handgun. That's a shooter and that's all it ever will be.

NIS74

Apr 15, 2016
    Those side cover screws and cylinder release screw are kinda chewed up. Someone was in there but they didn't use/have the correct screwdriver, who knows what else is going on. What's going on with the gap between the grip halfs? $700 is too much for what it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom