• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    What are your opinions on scope/red-dot combos like this one?

Looking for a scope/red-dot combo for a new AR. Opinions on this?

3-9X42 Ultimate AR-15 Scope

Getting rdy to buy an AR this week and need some optics @ $200. Want magnification of atleast 6x, so I can reach out, but would like something with CQC capabilities also.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Buy once, cry once, and pass on the one you have picked out.

Why not get a leupold Mark II now or a Vortex and save more cash for a red dot to go on top or on the rail if you really think you want one

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    What are your opinions on scope/red-dot combos like this one?

Looking for a scope/red-dot combo for a new AR. Opinions on this?

3-9X42 Ultimate AR-15 Scope

Getting rdy to buy an AR this week and need some optics @ $200. Want magnification of atleast 6x, so I can reach out, but would like something with CQC capabilities also.

Wow, that is almost exactly what I have been looking for. Scope and red dot. Bookmarked the page for when some funds loosen up :thumbsup:

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Buy once, cry once, and pass on the one you have picked out.

Why not get a leupold Mark II now or a Vortex and save more cash for a red dot to go on top or on the rail if you really think you want one

because its out of my price range, and I dont subscribe to the necessity of a overpriced scope theory.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    For that price range, get yourself a Millet DMS-1 or Leatherwood CMR , for about 250.00, I would go with a Leatherwood CMR.

These are proven platforms that should fit your budget.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    You get what you pay for with glass. Some goes with optic mounts. Cheap out if you want, but it will fail in one fashion or another.

Leupold, Aim Pint & Trijicon are the standard for a reason.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    What Jeep said...

Buy cheap optics and you will find yourself taking it in the shorts later trying to sell it to someone else when you get a clue and but what you should have in the 1st place. :sad20:

What rifle are you putting it on? what distance are you normally shooting at? What length barrel is on the gun? Is it a Heavy Barreled Match Gun?
    What weight Bullet are you planning to shoot?

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    What Jeep said...

Buy cheap optics and you will find yourself taking it in the shorts later trying to sell it to someone else when you get a clue and but what you should have in the 1st place. :sad20:

What rifle are you putting it on? what distance are you normally shooting at? What length barrel is on the gun? Is it a Heavy Barreled Match Gun?
    What weight Bullet are you planning to shoot?

I'll answer as I am interested as well. I have an M4gery (Stag 2ht upper with a Spikes lower, standard trigger) with a 16" barrel and plan to shoot mostly 55gr. If I have to engage over 250 yds. I plan to use a different weapon.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm cheaper than most, but the work on that combo is horrible. Looks like airsoft grade junk.

Try www.primaryarms.com that have expensive stuff and inexpensive stuff. The inexpensive stuff is chinese mostly, but picked for its quality.

AWOL

Jul 28, 2010
    Help with adding optics to my AR!

I am brand new here :)

I am also a complete and total n00b when it comes to modifying any kind of gun. Using it (the basics) and cleaning it I've gotten down; now I want to do a little more.

Here is the gun that I have (sort of...)

BCWA3F%2016M4.jpg

Mine is a semi-auto version of the M4A3 (Bushmaster, same manufacturer). I have this HUGE front sight and no extra rails to do much with.

My goals:

1) I want to put an EOTech holo sight onto the gun
    2) I want a flip-over 3x (or 4x) magnifier that can look through the holo sight
    3) I want to have my iron sights as backup if my optics were ever to go kaplooey on me.

Some recommendations that were made to me:

EOTech® 557 AR223 Holographic Sight

XPS2 - this is smaller, takes up less space

Eotech With 3x Magnifier/Flip-To-Side Mount Md: G23FTS

The problems I have:

1) Not enough rail space; the handguard is the standard "A2" style.
    2) A HUGE front sight that seems like it is going to mess with my holo and my scope.
    3) How do I affix a rear iron sight that will allow me to co-witness without completely obscuring my holo and my scope?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    First, welcome to the site.

Second, get rid of the carry handle. Mount your EOTech there. You can find a back up iron sight, aka BUIS, for use in case the optic dies.

Don't worry about the front sight. You see it, but it doesn't really mess with you.

BTW, handguards are replaceable. You might need an extra hand, but they come off.

What part of the state are you in?

Others will chime in with suggestions and places to look for parts and bits.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Check to see if you have a proper F marked front sight first and foremost.

The front sight shouldn't interfere with a red dot, and is one less sight to have to flip up if your red dot goes down.

You can put on a flip-up rear sight such as the Magpul MBUS or the Troy Flip up rear or KAC 200-600 flip up rear sight.

You may also want to consider getting an Aimpoint instead of an EOTech. They have much better battery life, better customer service, and are thought to be generally more reliable and durable.

Most important with whatever you get, is to get a good mount for it. LaRue makes the best ones out there right now.
    You can get an aimpoint H1 on a tall mount
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=399
    and combo it with the 3x magnifier on the pivot mount
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=131

or get an EOTech XPS and a magnifier from them as well.

The aimpoint takes up a lot less rail space, so you don't have to worry about that as much.

Just my 2 cents.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    What ever you do, don't go cheap. You'll just spend more in the long run.

I prefer Aim Point, but to each their own. Look at battery life of the optic, and the other features, such as auto shut off.

Hit a few stores to put your hands on the optic, a pic online may not give you the best idea of size.

There are other options that may save you from using a flip magnified, such as a 1-4x scope. It may be more expensive up front, but more durable.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have a similar set-up on my Colt

Believe it or not. There is enough rail space on there to install an Eotech 552, Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a LaRue FTS mount and a Matech 600m BUIS. All in Co-witness configuration.

Also, If you have the standard CAR handguards ( M4 handguards are bigger/ oval) The Eotech can mount on the forward section of the upper to make space for the magnifier and BUIS. If you get the newer Eotechs with the side buttons, you can pretty much butt everything together.

At 100 yards, this set-up keeps up with the Bolt-guns

Attachments

• DSCN3543.jpg
      DSCN3543.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 487

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I-4 optics like the DMS-1 while being a good idea. Is still slower to get on target at CQB ranges than the Eotech. This is due to reason that all magnified optics still require some kind of Eye relief while the RDO does not.

Attachments

• DSCN3124.jpg
      DSCN3124.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 574
    • DSCN3126.jpg
      DSCN3126.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 491
    • DSCN3542.jpg
      DSCN3542.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 465
    • DSCN3541.jpg
      DSCN3541.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 468

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Similar Colt with a millet DMS-1 ( 1-4x scope)
    BUIS is totally useless ,unless the entire scope is dismounted. At low power the front sight post becomes a distraction.

If you go this route, spend some money on a flip up front sight.

Attachments

• silent partners1.jpg
      silent partners1.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 478

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I reallly, really like my DMS-1 as an all around general use optic. At the last 3-gun it was a huge advantage over most other optic set-ups. Having said that, if you do not need magnification then go Aimpoint. You will not be sorry. If you wanna spend some money and upgrade to a better 1-4x scope then ou have even better options than the DMS-1, but for 220$ it's a good quality scope. If you wanna fo it right the first time then get the Nighforce 1-4x or the S@B Speed dot 1-4x, but both will cost more than your rifle did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom