• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Did you find yours locally? I should check with my LGS proprietor if he can order one for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Yes. They had one and it only lasted a few days. It's a piece of work, that's for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks everyone.
    Based on this thread and my research I am going to look for a LCR or airweight.
    Now to find a couple and try then out...

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    LCR my friend. Easier to service and it has a fantastic trigger.

S&W make great fullsize revolvers but their snubboes are nothing special.

The SP101 is the best snubby there is after a bob and action job, but they are heavy.

Do you work on these? I have one of the factory "bobbed" models, but wonder what an action job would do for the gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the question was best * small frame revolver * , I would likewise sing the praises of SP101. Yes, with action smoothing the DA trigger is quite nice.

But since the thread was specifically for Pocket Revolver, the weight and lesser degree size tradeoffs inherent for pocket carry give advantage to an Airweight J Frame.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    This

Attachments

• 163062_01_lg.jpg
      163062_01_lg.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 186

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Thanks everyone.
    Based on this thread and my research I am going to look for a LCR or airweight.
    Now to find a couple and try then out...

I own the LCRx in .38. I am very happy with it.

I shoot it fairly well, for a snubby, too. Of course, if I ever have to use it, there will be no time to aim. Sure carries easily! I suggest a front pocket holster. Avoid anything "Uncle Mikes," as they come right out with the gun.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Ruger LCR but in 9mm instead of 38 Special

No need to worry about speedloaders like the 38 since Ruger gives you 3 Full Moon Clips in the box.

Feed it the same quality JHP ammo that you use for your other 9s.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Not to hijack, and along the same lines, I refuse to get my HQL, and would like a C&R gun that could be pocket carried. I already have a S&W Combat Masterpiece (pre model 15), but much to big to fit the bill. Any suggestions?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Not to hijack, and along the same lines, I refuse to get my HQL, and would like a C&R gun that could be pocket carried. I already have a S&W Combat Masterpiece (pre model 15), but much to big to fit the bill. Any suggestions?

So the model 10-5 2inch started production in 1962 and while I'm not super C&R knowledgeable that would make it over 50 years old as long as it's in original configuration. They were also made up until the 70s so you'd have to do a serial number look up to ensure. Some of the Model 36s (chief special) should qualify as well being as though production started 1950

Someone with better C&R knowledge could correct me.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The S&W Model 38 just above that.... is the winner. The front sight blade is tapered so it will never catch on in your pocket. The hammer sits in a channel, so you can cock it, but it won't grab anything. Look close and you can see the hammer pad right at the top of the shroud arc in that small picture Bob A. put up.

A Model 38 or Model 49 was what I was going to say.

The first handgun I can remember firing was my dad's M49, which was his carry gun.

Also, they started production on the 38 in 1955, and the 49 was officially named that in 1957 I think. That means there are a bunch out there which are more than 50 years old.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For C&R pocket guns :

Most numerous S&W in circulation is M36 and pre-M36. Airwieght Bodygaurds ( eventual M38) were introduced in early '50s, Not sure without checking when the steel framed M49 introduced. Centinials ( later M40) were introduced back in '50s, but 1st gen production was low, and they bring $$$ from S&W collectors. Multiple models of .38S&W(not spl) and .32S&W Long , but probably not what your looking for.

In Colts , Detective Special, Cobra, Agent ( essentially a Cobra with shorter butt). Police Positive Special was same frame size as Detective Special. Some were made with 3in bbl, and enough of them out there in not really collectable condition that bbl replacement or shortening is economically feasable.

Not really a pocket gun, but 2in M10 are really nice. Mfg from '30s until ('90s ?). Everything up thru 10-4 is C&R , first cpl years if -5 snd -6 , consult SCSW for shipping date of specific s/n.

In semiautos, most will be .380 or .32 . ( In this context I like .32, and think .380 is highly over rated, but thats me, YMMV.) The usual suspects from Colt and Browning. Walther PP, PPK . I used to see Mauser HSc fairl commonly, so they should still be in circulation somewhere. Various models of CZ checking for mfg date. The various Llamas that look like shrunken 1911. I'd have to look up specific model numbers, but Astra made a bunch in C&R era, and most of the ones I've shot and handled were decent.

Not quite pocket guns, but Star was ahead of their time with compact 9mm single stacks in both steel and alloy frame. Would have to research model numbers and s/n ranges if any make C&R cut off yet. But be poised in next cpl years as more of them age in.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    LCR my friend. Easier to service and it has a fantastic trigger.

S&W make great fullsize revolvers but their snubboes are nothing special.

The SP101 is the best snubby there is after a bob and action job, but they are heavy.

I can't comment on the 1st or 3rd statement, but the one in the middle is pretty bold. I'd be curious to know why you said that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    J frames have coil mainspring instead of the leaf springs of the larger frames.

On the other hand , I frames are sweet .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom