• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I've been googling the past hour or so on how to install the new handguard the GFU got me for Christmas onto my Mossberg 500. I'm still coming up empty. Here's the foregrip she got me:

http://www.zahal.org/FAB/PR870.htm

And I've disassembled the shotty by removing the barrel, trigger guard, and bolt. Call it what you'd like, but I've slid the foregrip/forend/handguard with the two rails out and set everything else aside.

From my googling and owner's manual, it looks like the factory "action slide assembly" (the tube with two legs) should come free from the factory handguard by removing the "action slide tube nut", the two-notched ring at the business end of the handguard.

I have a piece of metal that fits nicely in those grooves on the action slide tube nut to assist in the unscrewing, but when I turn the makeshift screwdriver, the action slide tube nut doesn't come off of the action slide assembly. In fact, the whole action slide assembly turns (that is, the whole tube except the two legs) inside the factory handguard.

How do I get this factory handguard off of the slide tube assembly?

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    That video gets me to the point where I am now. It'll help me get the slide assembly off, but not disassemble the handguard itself and that's what I need.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have a specific install tool for them. It came with my Surefire forend.

If you can wait till Tuesday evening and are willing to take a drive I'll be at Continental and can have it there for you.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    That'll work, I'll see you Tuesday.

Keep in mind that I'm not entirely sure this is working right. The nut turns (but only because the tube turns with it - the leg attachment is the only part that doesn't move). I think the nut is supposed to turn without either the tube or the leg bit moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom