• live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    I think the three basics are
    1.12ga w/slug&bird barrel
    2.30-06
    3.22lr

I belive I need more but i was asked a hypothetical question to pick 3 i chose my three for versatility ammo cost and availability i would lile your input and this is not a shtf apocalypse question just a general basic needs

Mar 12, 2011
    2.30-06
    3.22lr

I belive I need more but i was asked a hypothetical question to pick 3 i chose my three for versatility ammo cost and availability i would lile your input and this is not a shtf apocalypse question just a general basic needs

honestly i would go with:

12ga security & choked barrel
    mosin nagant
    9mm pistol

because the "bird barrel will essentially replace the 22 for small game and a mosin is cheaper to buy and shoot than an 06. i have both and my 06 only comes out for whitetail then it goes right back. with the mosin i can shoot for .19 per round running that russian surplus or switch to some slightly more exspensive soft points for medium/large game. then pistol backup and for concealability. But hey thats just my .02:innocent0

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    honestly i would go with:

12ga security & choked barrel
    mosin nagant
    9mm pistol

because the "bird barrel will essentially replace the 22 for small game and a mosin is cheaper to buy and shoot than an 06. i have both and my 06 only comes out for whitetail then it goes right back. with the mosin i can shoot for .19 per round runningependable that russian surplus or switch to some slightly more exspensive soft points for medium/large game. then pistol backup and for concealability. But hey thats just my .02:innocent0

You are right i forgot about the pistol and 9mm is a great choice cheap accurate dependable but when it comes to the rifle i still prefer my 06 if i shop around i can find it 15$ a box so about .75 a round not to bad cause in reality i dont shoot my high powers that often anyway and i know if i go on a trip i can find ammo at any small town middle of no where store

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I don't think I can narrow it down to three but if I had to I would choose:

.308 bolt
    AR15

.40 is a nice balance (for me at least) between stopping power and having enough rounds in the mag. Also, cheaper to practice with than the .45. .308 bolt because longer distance shooting is fun and a nice skill to have. 5.56....just because everyone should own at least one AR. Next two on the list would be an HD shotgun and 9mm for cheaper practice.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    Everyone should own at least good shotgun and a .22
    I haven't really ever seen anyone try to argue that much at least

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I would say for only 3, it would be:

12 gauge - gereral close range hunting (bird, deer), home defense.
    .308 - hunting/defense outside of the shotgun's range.
    .22 LR - target practice, plinking, small game hunting.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    for when the SHTF

12 g
    AR15
    9mm

those are the with the most plentiful ammo and depending in what gun you pick in that caliber, the most parts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The basic requirememts :

Shotgun , 12ga unless picking a 20ga on purpose.

.22rimfire rifle.

Centerfire rifle of your preference that you consider relatively versatile.

Centerfire pistol of medium size , of .38spl or 9mm unless you feel very strongly about another cal.

To get to three arbitrarily eliminate one of above.

To add one more , add either rimfire pistol , or heavy cal handgun suitable for hunting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    for when the SHTF

12 g
    AR15
    9mm

those are the with the most plentiful ammo and depending in what gun you pick in that caliber, the most parts.

:thumbsup:
    If I need to carry something without it being seen, it's hard to beat a handgun. It's also the firearm I can ALWAYS have on me as a first line of defense(firearms wise) should I need it. It's hard to carry around an ar all day, while shaving or cooking or driving. For sport, it's easier to find a range close by to shoot the handguns than the rifles. I drive 2 minutes to get to on-target. I've got to drive an hour or so to get to hap for the rifles.
    p99 on m855 color fixed.jpg
    The shotgun is both one of the simplist and most complicated firearms systems. I can load it with #7.5 for birds/squirrels..whatever, all the way down to buckshot and slugs for bigger game/2-legged varmints. When the biggest drawback the lack of capacity, I'm glad mine holds 10.
    870.jpg
    The AR is the go-to general purpose rifle. Mine is set up with a red-dot and co-witnessed flip-ups. It's easy to make quick hits from 300 and in. If the optic takes a crap, flip ups and I'm back in the game. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and the gun can take most game around here. I've got plenty of 30-rnd magazes all loaded up and ready, and it's easy to carry 300 rnds with you should you need to(substantially more difficult with dirty-ought. Parts are all over the place should anything break.
    boom.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would go with a simple bolt action .22. If the SHTF forever, you don't want to be out looking for parts/magazines etc. A .22 is invaluable. You can stockpile and easily carry thousands of rounds of ammo. This would probably be the weapon that gets the most use. I think you need a good rifle for defense. AR or AK would do. A good pump shotgun. Mossberg 500 or 590.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For strictly long guns, the three the OP mentioned pretty much cover everything if you are wanting a day to day arsenal. The 30-06 will take anything up to and including a moose. The .22 is for shooting all day and the 12 gauge for HD and bird hunting. Being who I am, I didn't get a 30-06 until I was 43 and a .22 until I was 40.

ETA A friend of mine mentioned why he got a 30-06 rifle instead of another caliber. He stated, every podunk gun store out west has at least one box of 30-06 hunting ammo on its shelf.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    For me the must have 3 are

Remington 870 12ga W/26 inch rem choke barrel and 18 smooth barrel for HD
    T/C Encore rifle with 308 and 556 barrels
    Glock 17

I would be willing to trade the Encore for an AR-10

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Basic 5
    1. Pistol 9mm or .45 (fowdy if you really must)
    2. 12ga auto or pump.
    3.AK or AR
    4. Full caliber rifle- .308, 30-06,7.62-54.
    5 .22 rifle AR-7 or Marlin or 10-22.
    AMMO for all the above.

Each of the above is a tool for specific purposes. There are other tools, and some of these have overlapping capabilities - but IMHO a basic tool box should start with these 5.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    If SHTF, and I need ammo...it will most likely be attached to a weapon. So...I don't care about caliber.

FN57 & PS90. I can carry 1,000 rounds in addition to my BOB. This gives me short and long range support. The FN57 can be accurate to 100yds with practice. The PS90 is solid to 300yds. Seriously...why would I need further than 300yds?

Last would be Saiga12. Semi with mags or drum. Wifey loves it and carries it well. Thinking about adding a slide-fire.

Won't lie...giving up my long range steel will really kill me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    2.30-06
    3.22lr

for when the SHTF

12 g
    AR15
    9mm

I would go with a simple bolt action .22. If the SHTF forever, you don't want to be out looking for parts/magazines etc. A .22 is invaluable. You can stockpile and easily carry thousands of rounds of ammo. This would probably be the weapon that gets the most use. I think you need a good rifle for defense. AR or AK would do. A good pump shotgun. Mossberg 500 or 590.

If SHTF, and I need ammo...it will most likely be attached to a weapon. So...I don't care about caliber.

FN57 & PS90. I can carry 1,000 rounds in addition to my BOB. This gives me short and long range support. The FN57 can be accurate to 100yds with practice. The PS90 is solid to 300yds. Seriously...why would I need further than 300yds?

Last would be Saiga12. Semi with mags or drum. Wifey loves it and carries it well. Thinking about adding a slide-fire.

Won't lie...giving up my long range steel will really kill me.

Please read the bolded part.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Please read the bolded part.

I got that, but that isn't how life works. My answer stands today and beyond.

And for my answers, my ammo costs would be reduced - making the more expensive ammo a non-issue. Unless there is another pistol that shoots rifle rounds (I'd like to see) I can't imagine carrying a pistol chambered rifle. Rather go the other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom