• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I don't know why this took a week to click in my head --

I stopped by walmart to get some gun cleaning supplies, and I decided to pick up some ammo while I was there.

I got IDed for the .40cal ammo. This is the norm (and I am over 21). I always make a point that the 21 for pistol ammo is dumb because there are rifles (carbines) that shoot .40. How do they know what it will get shot out of.

Anywho, the lady behind the counter said, "Oh believe me, I know. I have to ID though because the police send in underage people to try and buy ammo."

I then said bye and left.

Only later did it occur that I should have pressed her further to figure out which department.

Anywho, my bad for not getting more intel, but I figured I should at least share what I learned.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    People say all kinds of schit. She's probably repeating what some other misinformed employee told her.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    dont know why you afraid to show your id. they just want to see the date of birth. now if the lady took a book out and writes them down then thats when i leave. just me.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    They can lose their job if they dont ask to see ID if you appear under 40, just like alcohol. I always show the clerk my ID even when they dont ask for it because some jerk manager may be watching on camera and id hate for someone to lose their job over something stupid.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I've heard that WalMart uses the information from the credit card transaction to keep the Ammo Log for the MSP. This was from the manager who rang me up.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Call BS on that also.

Agreed, I figured the guy was blowing smoke up my ass, but it is possible. Credit card transactions get logged, by the processor's agreement with the retailer. These logs have to be maintained for a period of time determined by the agreement in place with the processor and the store's policy. It wouldn't be hard to run a SKU search on the back end and pull all the ammo purchase information. Many large retailers keep all transaction details forever.

Something to consider.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    This happens across the nation. Gun stores, liquor stores, anything. I don't know of a department who DOESN'T do this except maybe MDTA.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I've heard that WalMart uses the information from the credit card transaction to keep the Ammo Log for the MSP. This was from the manager who rang me up.

I pay for ammo with cash all the time. I don't have a debit card ('cause I'm old fasioned), so if I can't afford to pay for ammo with cash, I don't really need it.
    So just the other day I was at WM and bought 4 boxes of 45 acp, and paid cash. The woman did not ask for ID. Then again, I am 54, and some people think I look older.
    So the point is if they were recording ammo purchases on a credit card, how would they record any info in my case? So.....pay in cash!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    A Friend used to part time at a liquor store and was told by the owner that Police Academy "Students" will come and try to buy. The owner told it like it was Browny Points with the AA Police.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yeah, I really don't care if they log it or not.

I just thought it was interesting, just like when I bought beer and they scanned my DL into some machine that, according to the cashier who looked like she was maybe 19, contacted the MVA and checked the validity of the ID. I asked her if it was logged anywhere, and she said that they don't log anything.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I don't mind being ID'd in a bar or for purchase of ammo ,
    AS Long as my information is not written down or photo copied.
    Since I turned 65, I'm delighted to be ID'd

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    My wife yells at me all the time when I buy sudafed, for her, and they ask for my ID. I state how I hate being treated like a criminal to by a pill that will clear ny wifes head. I also agree that it is nutty that I need an ID to pay for a bullet but not to vote when voting is much more dangerous to the community.

NOBODY

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    My department doesn't send underage persons to the Walmart to try to buy ammo in Frederick. We send underage persons into convenience stores and liquor stores to make sure the people working behind the counter stay in compliance with state law, and that is set up though the state.

Don't believe everything a Walmart expert tells you.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Maybe I should have put my flame-suit on.

Just relaying information to the masses that I figured was pertinent -- I am not drawing any conclusions. I leave that to the older and wiser.

Either way, Walmart is my semi-last resort for gun purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom