• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    New to the forum Just curious how 22-250 would work on deer back it cecil county if any one here has used it this has been asked before on other forums butbut not from people who actually hunt in MD I use it out here on yotes but the deer are a lot buyer here than back east im planing on moving back that's why I ask

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Im having a hard time interpreting what you're asking, but as long as it produces over 1200 ft/lbs of energy at the barrel it's legal. What ammo are you using, i can tell you the ballistics for it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    A 55gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip puts out around 1652 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle going 3680 fps.

A 62gr Power Point puts out about 1739 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle going 3500fps.

Just curious why .22-250? Only bc you already have it?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    My honest opinion is stick with the .06. What are you trying to prove using the .22-250? That you can do it? Yea, you can, but why risk the chance of making a bad shot and wounding/losing the deer? You have IN MY OPINION one of the best calibered rifles for hunting deer with ever created. Blackbart would probably agree, .30-06 just kills deer PERIOD.

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    I love the 30-06 round but not the rifle I have I made the mistake of buying the Remington 770 it ok and it works I put down a decent mulie this year with it but the action is real sloppy and the gun its self is a little cheesy but my 788 in 22-250 is dead on and cycles with out flaw

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    especially if you have .30-06, use it and not .22-250. we owe it to our game animals to harvest them in the most humane way possible, and the '06 clearly has more diameter, mass and energy to do that.

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    I agree I will not take a shot that is not broad side or quartering away I try to be as ethical as humanely possible and never do I attempt a headshot whether im doe hunting for meat or not I've seen deer who some one attempted a head shot on and hit it to far to the right and it took off deer brain are very small easy to miss needless to say I no longer hunt with said person

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It works. I've killed a pile of deer with a 22-250. Shot placement is very important, but it works.
    Agreed. Inside 300 yards with correct bullet placement = lightning.

The problem you and I are aware of though is that deer hunting isn't always standing deer and open fields, which is the only place a .22-250 is 100%.

There is also the singular problem of having a deer dead on his feet, but NO blood trail.
    especially if you have .30-06, use it and not .22-250. we owe it to our game animals to harvest them in the most humane way possible, and the '06 clearly has more diameter, mass and energy to do that.
    I'd have to agree. The one issue is that if his .30-06 doesn't shoot well, I'd rather have a .22 in the right place than a .30 in the wrong one.
    I agree I will not take a shot that is not broad side or quartering away I try to be as ethical as humanely possible and never do I attempt a headshot whether im doe hunting for meat or not I've seen deer who some one attempted a head shot on and hit it to far to the right and it took off deer brain are very small easy to miss needless to say I no longer hunt with said person
    That all sounds good right now. :thumbsup:

The problem is that during a fleeting opportunity, decisions are made quickly and don't always go the way we think they will from our easy chair. The threat of going home empty handed sometimes changes our way of thinking too. Were this not true, there would be no hunting accidents, right?

Like PoPo3, I have killed a LOT of deer with my .22-250s. 95% of these deer were taken during the off season, under crop damage permits. I had standing shots at undisturbed deer, and if I didn't get a good presentation, I could afford to wait for one and there was never a need for less than perfect placement. This is very seldom true during hunting season.

While shooting deer with a .22-250, I saw deer show no response whatever to a good lung shot, but fall out shortly thereafter. I've also seen deer shot marginally too far back, and drip not one drop of blood. Had they not been standing in the middle of a hay field, this would have been a MAJOR problem. I have also had these small bullets disappear entirely in the woods, with no indication of what was hit or where the bullet went, just me and the deer standing there confused...

If I wanted to maximize my chances of success, I'd use the right tool for the job.

A rifle with a good margin of power, along with a bullet heavy enough to penetrate vital areas from any angle and/or clip a twig or two on the way in is actually the right tool here. Anything else requires too many decisions from a new hunter and inhibits success.

This sounds like your .30-06 is the right tool to me, and if it doesn't shoot well, you have 11 months to find out why and remedy the problem.

Could be the shooter, the ,22-250 IS a lot easier to shoot well than a light .30-06. Could be the 770 itself. Might be the trigger, bad ammo, or maybe the barrel touches someplace, or maybe the action screws are not tight, or the scope is faulty, or it's a fit issue, or, or, or.....

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    I never compromise on my shots that way I never have "hunting accidents" I've been in moments were it was shoot now on the fly or pass I always pass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom