• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I never tried this. When I took a hunter safety course back in the late 60's the instructor told us he used to shoot .22's with a BB gun. He stuck the .22's in a board and tried to hit them with the BB. He said they made a loud pop and a whizzing sound when you hit one. He said they always found the lead bullet but never the brass case.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    ahhhhhh .....

I never tried this. When I took a hunter safety course back in the late 60's the instructor told us he used to shoot .22's with a BB gun. He stuck the .22's in a board and tried to hit them with the BB. He said they made a loud pop and a whizzing sound when you hit one. He said they always found the lead bullet but never the brass case.

Reloaders know that gunpowder does not explode, it burns very quickly. If you do not contain the case and bullet inside the barrel of a gun, it will not build up enough pressure to be dangerous.

But, Probably NOT a good idea anyway.

Which remnds me of the old Bill Cosby 'Shop' routine about putting a bullet in the furnace from Why Is There Air?

"a guy throws a bullet in the furnace, it reflects on his mother.”

I LOVE old Cosby bits ...

:lol:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Here's a target I just found on the JPFO website. Will be taking it to the range later today. I'm not endorsing the organization, just using the target for motivation.......:party29:

Enjoy!

Attachments

• hitlertarget.pdf
      252.5 KB · Views: 106

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    at our proving grounds we use propane tanks (full size) as targets.....good torso simulators and they stand up to full auto rifle calibers. I like 'em cuz at 100 yards you can plink em with a pistol and hear positive feedback from your impacts. as previously stated, don't do things like this near anything resembling a civilized area. we are off in the mountains a few miles from a paved road and have a downhill range cut into the next hill over. IF you have a place like this, appliances and propane tanks are good targets. Engine blocks are NOT safe for anything less than high powered rifles (.223 and other intermediate calibers DO NOT qualify) but can be a lot of fun for .50BMGs, 300WM and the like with AP heads, or other big bores like some of the higher pressure dangerous game rifles or the new big bore "tactical" calibers.

For a challenge, I recommend the old 4x4 trick. buy one of those mailbox spikes. cut a four foot tall section of 4x4 post. bolt to mailbox spike that has been driven into ground. single shooter or teams. fastest time to cut it in half with gunfire at X distance wins. I recommend 10mm hollow points if you are like me and like to cheat.... they have banned me from using my .44 even though I swear it takes me longer to reload.....We tried it with rifles once, but realized that with teh caliber related cheating (read dangerous game rifles being used) we would have to start using treated railroad ties as targets to make it last any time at all.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have used paintballs glued to cardboard backers. Make for a Jacksomn Pollack target at end of the day (assuming you use different color paint ball ink).

I have my students shoot them after getting through the regular NRA qualification targets.

BigBlaze

FX4life
    Jul 26, 2009
    Huntingtown
    Usually we just shoot the contents of the recycling bin or old beer that we shake up... we shot bowling pins with 12ga game load one time and wont be doing that again the bbs come back!

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I did the milk gallon jugs for years with the twist of putting food coloring in, then shooting. Only problem is that you shoot it once or twice it's gone.

Found that when I get the gallon G-ade jugs from Wally World put various food coloring in and then freeze, the target will be reactive for hours depending on what cal you are using. Free targets you just have to drink the G-ade.

LARRY

Feb 28, 2011
    Hey all,
    Gonna be planning a range event with some friends in the near future and thought it would be fun to kick around some ideas for targets or drills or even courses. What have you guys seen, tried, liked...what didn't work for you?
    Throw out some ideas and let's discuss.
    Thanks in advance for your participation!!

I guess to get things starts...stuff we've used before:
    Bowling pins
    clay pigeons
    paper...duh
    ping pong balls
    gold balls
    gold tees
    balloons with powder
    steel
    ...I'm sure we've shot plenty more, but that's what come to mind right now.
    Aaannnnddd...discuss!
    Sniper training balls are great, bullets pass thru and its a different shot every time

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    you need a tennis ball thrower or a mechanical pitcher. have a target mounted to a lever that throws a switch to stop the machine. but, from the firing line, the thrower or pitcher is making direct hits to your area. put up a concealment window and have the pitcher throw right at yer head when you peek around. sounds fun!

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I've been thinking about this for our kids club too..... Actually tried a raw egg from 10 yards with a bb gun, and "it blowed up real good"... cool enough for 9 and 10 year olds....

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Probally the most fun and avalible targets are beverage cans. Filled with water explode with 22 hollow points. Heck, anything filled with water is fun.
    We still shoot little plastic armymen with scoped 22's at 75 yards.
    There are several apple trees on the property. Once they start falling off the trees, we line them up for some explosive targets
    Probally can't use any of these at public ranges tho:)

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Empty soda/beer cans
    Full soda/beer cans (yeah Wallmart store brand)

I wonder how kids sidewalk chalk would work? Maybe colored cloud puffs?

Beer cans make a NICE foam cloud! I did that with some old Budweiser in a can someone left at a BYOB party I had. We are all beer snobs, so the Busd went untouched and sat in my basement for years, till I put them in my hatchback and drove on a sunny day to PA, where we shock them and shot them off old stumps on a hill side. A .35 Remington makes a massive foam cloud!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I'm going to be the 800 pound gorilla in the room here....

If you are having a private shooting event, please designate someone as a Range Safety person. Whether its someone not shooting or you guys all chip in and hire an RSO for the day. Just someone to watch out and make sure that everyone stays safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom