• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    I bought a Savage 10 GXP3 a few years back and have been thinking of setting it up with a heavy barrel and a chote stock any reason I shouldnt and just sell and get my self a factory setup like a model 10 FCPK ? I dont use it for much hunting mostly targets and plan on getting into a little competitive shooting.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My question would concern your ability to do the work yourself. If you're going to need a gunsmith to do the work, I'd just sell it and but the one you want as you're probably not going to save a pile of money. I may be dead wrong though.

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    Its a good gun, why not just leave it as it is?

Now whats the fun in that, been a great rifle very accurate but I cant keep well enough alone.

That 10 FCP-K is sweet!!!! Keep it and buy the FCP.

The more I look at the FCP I want it just trying to figure out any major diferences between it and mine in the reciever and trigger. Also if I dont sell the one I have now I probably couldnt get the Mod 12fv in .223 I was looking at today.

My question would concern your ability to do the work yourself. If you're going to need a gunsmith to do the work, I'd just sell it and but the one you want as you're probably not going to save a pile of money. I may be dead wrong though.

I could do everything but the barrel but looking up the prices of that barrel and not including what it would cost to have it installed I'm thinking it would be better to sell and by a rifle with all the fun stuff included.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Now whats the fun in that, been a great rifle very accurate but I cant keep well enough alone.

The more I look at the FCP I want it just trying to figure out any major diferences between it and mine in the reciever and trigger. Also if I dont sell the one I have now I probably couldnt get the Mod 12fv in .223 I was looking at today.

I could do everything but the barrel but looking up the prices of that barrel and not including what it would cost to have it installed I'm thinking it would be better to sell and by a rifle with all the fun stuff included.

I would go with the others and get the FCP, though I am thinking .300 Win Mag

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Economically I don't think it makes sense to do the kind of work on that rifle you're describing. I think it works out better in the end if you just sell it as is for most of what you paid for it and then buy a new rifle that already comes with the features you're looking for.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Caliber? I have the same exact rifle, stock, scope, rings are all junk. I'm not sure why I bought a package rifle just to replace everything but the action and barrel.

I would say go with a stripped down Stockade Stock, they are fantastic, albeit a bit expensive but they are hand made for Savage guns and you won't hear anything bad about them.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    Caliber? I have the same exact rifle, stock, scope, rings are all junk. I'm not sure why I bought a package rifle just to replace everything but the action and barrel.

I would say go with a stripped down Stockade Stock, they are fantastic, albeit a bit expensive but they are hand made for Savage guns and you won't hear anything bad about them.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

.308, yeah got a good deal on it new and while it has been decent it hasnt been what I thought it would be. Im about to buy that mod 12fv in .223 to have some fun taking out some varmit this spring and if I can sell the .308 ill probably get a new 308 with some tax return money just havent decided which one.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Pimp that gun. Like JSW said you can get a stock,barrel,wrench and gauges from Brownells and set up the custom gun of your dreams and you have the option of getting a barrel in any caliber that will work with your bolt for any application you can dream up.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Pimp that gun. Like JSW said you can get a stock,barrel,wrench and gauges from Brownells and set up the custom gun of your dreams and you have the option of getting a barrel in any caliber that will work with your bolt for any application you can dream up.

I have the the tools to change the barrel minus the headspace gauges (I only have 30-06 family go/nogo). PM me if you would like to borrow them.

Walt

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    So I've Decided to re barrel the 308 after doing some more research and non wanting to go through the hassle of selling it and buying another gun. I'm going to keep the factory stock on there for now and invest in a better scope.

I have the the tools to change the barrel minus the headspace gauges (I only have 30-06 family go/nogo). PM me if you would like to borrow them.

Walt

Thanks but the kit im looking at comes with the set up kit.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    If you go through and upgrade the barrel, etc. I woiuld make sure to replace the recoil lug. The factory ones are thin stamped steel.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    And you can get extra barrels in the 22/25cal range for varmints and a 33/35 range for extra thump as well. Modularizing is really cool I have 3 barrels for my Dan Wesson and can go from unlimited class to box stock in minutes. The same for my EAA Witness. I know handguns are different but the principal is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom