• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    My dad is looking to get a varmint gun, a small caliber center fire more geared towards foxes and now coyotes as he has already seen a few on his farm this year but still wont mutilate a ground hog. I suggested .223 but I've only shot it in m16 form any suggestions as to what rifle he should look towards? He had mentioned something about a mini 14 I told him id stick with a bolt action though.

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    I just figured bolt action would be a cheaper than a SA, he isnt looking to spend alot I think because he just spent like 3k on a trap shotgun. Are there any other calibers he should keep in mind as well?

That Rem 700 sounds like a pretty good deal Ill let him know.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    CZ 527

He won't even need the heavy barrel version the tapered barrel is just as accurate.

In addition to .223 it's also chambered in .22 hornet, among others.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    A Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a scope already attached (which also means it comes with bases and rings) is a hell of a good deal. I would be tempted just to jump right on that. It would be a lot more accurate than the Saiga, thanks to both the superior design of the rifle and the benefits of using the scope over iron sights.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    CZ 527

He won't even need the heavy barrel version the tapered barrel is just as accurate.

In addition to .223 it's also chambered in .22 hornet, among others.

+1....fantastic rifles out of the box from cz. another option is the varmit rifles savage makes. they make a heavy barreled version with the giant bolt handle for fairly cheap in .223. comes with accutrigger and all that savage out of the box goodness. we had one at basspro around $500.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Gun Connection has a scoped Savage 110 in .22-250 sitting in the rack. Didn't see the tag on it.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Id stay away from the combo package deals. The 500$ combo deals are the cheapest mounts,rings and scope they dig up and sell.

They will work for the occasional hunter. But if your going to be yote hunting or anything serious. Buy a rifle and set it up the way you need it to be. Coyote hunting can be anywhere from 50ft up to 400 yards. Would you trust a 50$ scope out to 400 yards, and take bumps and bruises??

Right now is great time to find a nice used rifle at one of the dealers. Id call around the dealers on MDSHOOTERS. Also check out some prices on some new stuff.

I picked up a LNIB 700 BDL .25-06 for 450$ from Hafers a few months ago. After a Nikon scope i got just over 600$ in it.

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    Thanks, Ill check out that savage too. I bought a model 10 in .308 a while back that was a combo deal and quickly swaped the scope out.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Savage in .223, .22 hornet or .22-250 will do the job too.

As soon as I get dies, case formers and a reloading rig for it a few Coyotes lurking around my property back home may be surprised by the below.

Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME Source
    40 HP IMR 4227 / 14.0 2850 720 n/a
    40 HP 2400 / 12.0 3000 795 n/a
    50 HP IMR 4198 / 14.0 2700 810 n/a

Our of a M1 Carbine.

Though I probably wouldnt be afraid to try and take one with a 17 HMR.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Remington 597 in 22 MAG

I had a customer who bought on of these to go to Texas with for a Havalina hunt. He said it handeled them well. Should be fine for coyote's with a good head shot. Low recoil, lower sound over the 223 & 22-250, cheaper to shoot.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I recommend the savage. .243 is what I hunt groundhogs with. You can get a savage for around 400 and you can't beat the trigger. .243 is good because it is low recoil, readily available ammo and you can also use it for larger game like whitetails. (I also shoot them with the .270 but thats just because it's my favorite rifle and I like to shoot it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom