• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bfreeder00

Apr 27, 2009
    Delaware/ Iraq
    Not sure what this is worth or what I should ask for when selling it, so I was hopeful I could get some help from you all.
    Mossberg 500 with three barrels. There is a slug, modified, and full choke. The full choke is the thicker goose barrel for use with steel shot. The body and stock have been painted cammo (not by me) but on the side of the body there is a duck/waterfowl engraved on it.
    DSCF1068.jpg

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Barrels are worth probably 60 bucks if they are used.

New the gun is around 350.

The paint job will hurt the value substantially unless you find someone who really likes it.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'd have to say the paint job is up to an individual's taste, but significantly hurts the value of the gun. I paid $200 for a decent condition Mossy with nice wood furniture that was only 17 years old.

Guessing with the engraving, it was some kind of "non-typical" model, as the average ones had none, the paint is a considerable detriment. EDIT- Engraved receivers were available on 1960's models. Normally scrolling. Is this the Ducks Unlimited model, or the 1969 50th Anniversary perhaps?

I would say $175 for the gun itself (with a plain 28" bbl), and $60-80 a piece for each separate barrel.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am not trying to inflate my post count, or break any other forum rules, I was just interested in how much this is worth.

The Mossy 500 is my favorite "modern" pump shotgun. Infinitely configurable, easy to disassemble and fun as hell to shoot.

I would say the only downside to it is the camo. Depending on the age, without the camo, It would be in the $200-250 range easily. If the camo was only on the stock and forend, they could be replaced. Unfortunately, the camo covers the engraving. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I cannot find a lot of Mossy 500s with the engraving. Most of the ones I can find had scroll work only and they were from the '60s.

Would make a nice utility gun, as is. A beater hunting gun or a decent HD gun.

bfreeder00

Apr 27, 2009
    Delaware/ Iraq
    Here are some pictures of the engraving. I was able to clean the paint off of these parts with out damaging the underlying finish. Have not cleaned everything thing yet, but wanted to see if anyone here had evern seen one like this.\
    DSCF1113.jpg

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1119.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Looks to me as if someone had the engraving done....I've been googling this and cannot find any instance of a canvasback drake engraved on a factory issued Mossy 500.

bfreeder00

Apr 27, 2009
    Delaware/ Iraq
    The slide has a rail on both sides. After looking around online I only found one factory engraved 500 and its bolt assembly had the same engraving as mine. Hopefully someone here can shed some more light on this.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    keep cleaning that thing up, it will be more desireable original, with that engraving of course. You could check with shot gun world.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom