first time AR buyer. what is legal here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    You might consider investing a little bit more than the absolute cheapest price available and start a relationship with your Local Gun Shop. You can be confident that something your LGS sells off of his rack will be legal. If you have any problems with it, there is a much better chance that he will help you out with a gun you bought from him than one you just transferred through him. After you become a regular customer, you might find that he'll start knocking a few bucks off his sticker prices...and get real competitive to online deals (especially figuring on shipping and transfer fees)...especially if you bring cash.
    thanks for the advice.. yeah I'd like to buy local as long as the markup seems reasonable

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    even both of those choices are high compared to what I've recently seen.

my advice hard pass on both at those prices.

Ruger does make a MD compliant model and it's a decent rifle.

"poverty tier" ARs are back to sub 500. you can get a PSA upper / lower. With shipping and transfer its another probably $80.

personally I would shop around at some LGS outside central MD first and see what you can get. Central MD is high cost of living and the prices are high.
    thanks. i have money to spend, just dont know how much I'll get into it so i dont want to plop down 1k right off the bat

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Don't forget to factor in shipping and transfer fees when comparing online and LGS pricing. Sometimes local turns out to be a better deal.
    yep definitely considering those. thanks for the input

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Building one yourself will save you $$$. Any Mil-spec by Anderson/ PSA lower receiver will be fine, should be less than $100.

Then buy built kit with complete HBAR upper and lower parts from Delton: https://www.del-ton.com/Rifle-Kit-p/rkt101.htm $390 plus Tax/ Shipping currently. They have Free-shipping from time to time, like last weekend.

The most difficult part through this route is putting Lower part kits / Lower receiver together. But if you have friends who had built this before, it will be a no brainer. Youtube is your library.
    thanks I'll look into that. would be cool to build my own

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Simple Answer - Stop looking at the internet , or reading Shotgun News . All the blowout sale prices are for 45 State Legal guns , not Md Compliant version . You will just tease and frustrate yourself .

If it's on the shelf at Md dealer , it's legal .

Check prices at MD dealers with rep for good prices , such as JLowes .

The absolute cheapest may not be best choice , and a mid price @ $8-900 may be better value .

Among Md Compliant AR , the Windom Weapons HBC is your yardstick for both price and quality .

No , in Md you can't get the cool toys at cheap prices as in Free America . It's Maryland . Maryland sucks . Accept the suckage , or relocate across the state line .
    ok thanks. I'll be browsing some more MD shops outside of the metro area and will look into learning how to build one too

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    bca complete upper with 18" stainless heavy barrel, mid length gas, bolt carrier and charging handle $275 plus shipping.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/22...1-8-twist-mid-length-15-handguard-rc-bur.html

Now find a complete lower and you are in business. PSA has one for $130, plus shipping and ffl transfer, if you call around to LGS and see you might do better.

but "the cheapest one I can find." should be sub 500, you just might have to get the upper/lower separately. spend the rest on an optic.

also, I am in no way endorsing these rifles. they will be minute of man accurate to 200 yds.
    thanks for the tips I'll check it out

CrabbyTurtle

Dec 23, 2020
    2A First
    I recently purchased my first ar. I'm very pleased I bought it from a LGS even if I paid a little more. I've learned so much since and would like to build my own in the future.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    everyone has the HBAR covered. But I didn't see mention of the magazine? The adds mention a 30 round mag. You probably won't be able to order a rifle that comes with a 30rd mag. I know with handguns at various places they will not take an order if gun comes with mag that holds more than 10 rounds. if they actually do ship it to MD, the transferring dealer more than likely won't give the mag to you.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    Until We The People Take Back The Republic and #Audit50 There will never be another Republican POTUS, GOP Majority Anywhere from School Boards, and City Councils to State Legislators, Mayors, Governors, and the U.S. House, Senate and POTUS.
    Forget about any fair & auditable elections of any kind until we ban all mail-in ballots for all but the bedridden & deployed military and we melt all voting & counting machines from all vendors into prison bars for the Democrats & Rinos who helped China committ an act of war in stealing the 2020 election, the two georgia u.s. senate runoffs and most recently the California Recall Election...
    We The People did not vote for the coast to coast communist take over of elected offices at all levels, and the loss of our fundamental human birthright of self preservation using equal or greater force than can be brought against us, protected by, not created by the second amendment.
    #SaveAmericaFix2020First then we can restore the unabridged second amendment coast to coast.
    https://www.audit50.org/
    or it's super soakers for everyone, it's only a matter of time, before they go door to door, starting with all the registered gun, ammo owners and concealed permit holders...

Attachments

• 20210915_075404.jpg
      20210915_075404.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 213

ellist

Oct 15, 2014
    Until We The People Take Back The Republic and #Audit50 There will never be another Republican POTUS, GOP Majority Anywhere from School Boards, and City Councils to State Legislators, Mayors, Governors, and the U.S. House, Senate and POTUS.
    Forget about any fair & auditable elections of any kind until we ban all mail-in ballots for all but the bedridden & deployed military and we melt all voting & counting machines from all vendors into prison bars for the Democrats & Rinos who helped China committ an act of war in stealing the 2020 election, the two georgia u.s. senate runoffs and most recently the California Recall Election...
    We The People did not vote for the coast to coast communist take over of elected offices at all levels, and the loss of our fundamental human birthright of self preservation using equal or greater force than can be brought against us, protected by, not created by the second amendment.
    #SaveAmericaFix2020First then we can restore the unabridged second amendment coast to coast.
    https://www.audit50.org/
    or it's super soakers for everyone, it's only a matter of time, before they go door to door, starting with all the registered gun, ammo owners and concealed permit holders...

Just answer the OP question. This crap is exhausting, repetative and divisive. Now, take off the tin foil hat and see if you can recommend an AR that is MD compliant.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    even both of those choices are high compared to what I've recently seen.

my advice hard pass on both at those prices.

Ruger does make a MD compliant model and it's a decent rifle.

"poverty tier" ARs are back to sub 500. you can get a PSA upper / lower. With shipping and transfer its another probably $80.

personally I would shop around at some LGS outside central MD first and see what you can get. Central MD is high cost of living and the prices are high.

Ruger falls squarely into the "poverty tier" for AR's.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    For my own future reference, how is the one listed different than the model listed on the maryland website as banned?

If you would research it you would find it is marketed as an HBAR making it perfectly legal.

The Colt M4A1 SOCOM Carbine returns for 2018. This classic US Military Reproduction closely replicates the markings and configuration of the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine. The lower receiver features PROPERTY OF THE US GOVT, M4A1 CARBINE, and CAL. 5.56 MM. The barrel is a true SOCOM 14.5 heavy barrel with the iconic M203 flats under the Knights Armament Rail System. Extended flash hider has been pinned and welded to achieve a non-NFA length of 16.1". Includes the side sling swivel at the gas block and an ambidextrous safety selector. This reproduction is sure to turn

mariob195

MDS Supporter
    Jul 6, 2021
    Might I suggest Hanover Armory. They are great, they are knowledgeable and have quite an extensive inventory. They cater to anyone from expert to novice buying their first firearm. All built in MD, so MD compliant....

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    If you would research it you would find it is marketed as an HBAR making it perfectly legal.

The Colt M4A1 SOCOM Carbine returns for 2018. This classic US Military Reproduction closely replicates the markings and configuration of the M4A1 SOCOM Carbine. The lower receiver features PROPERTY OF THE US GOVT, M4A1 CARBINE, and CAL. 5.56 MM. The barrel is a true SOCOM 14.5 heavy barrel with the iconic M203 flats under the Knights Armament Rail System. Extended flash hider has been pinned and welded to achieve a non-NFA length of 16.1". Includes the side sling swivel at the gas block and an ambidextrous safety selector. This reproduction is sure to turn

confusing af. its listed as banned.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    confusing af. its listed as banned.

The COLT M4A1 SOCOM is not banned. The Colt 6920 is banned.

Colt did a run on "M4" clone copies with heavy barrels and because they advertised the barrels as such, they are legal.

They are essentially M4 marked 6920's, but the verbiage in how they are described is what makes the difference.

Welcome to MD where gun laws follow absolutely no logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom