• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Any recommendations for a place to chop my REM 870 barrel from 18" to 12" and install a bead? Possibly port it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but what you propose is illegal unless you have a tax stamp, no legitimate gun smith will do it.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Good frikkin luck with a hacksaw. Better buy the best blade and saw frame you can. I recently shortened my 10g to 18.5 and it was TOUGH steel. Resorted to a cutting disc on an angle grinder and even then.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Not a joke. Why would it be? I want to SBS a shotgun and want a smith to install a new bead for me. Figured they might as well cut it too to ensure it's not off kilter at all. With the barrel tapering it's easy to screw up.

Did my OP say I was doing this without a stamp? Why is it so many people here assume "that's illegal!" before asking questions.

I've been reading about Vangard. I was told by a local smith that Briley is good as well. Just wanted to hear if anyone had any other good recommendations.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Good frikkin luck with a hacksaw. Better buy the best blade and saw frame you can. I recently shortened my 10g to 18.5 and it was TOUGH steel. Resorted to a cutting disc on an angle grinder and even then.

Everyone who hasn't done this says hacksaw. People who've used a hacksaw and actually done this never seem to recommend it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nope. But your useless reply is.

It's not a useless reply. Shotguns must have a barrel length of at least 18" to be considered legal without falling under a Class III classification. I'm guessing you may not realize this perhaps? It's only been that way since 1934.

Here's some light reading for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/shotgun-firearm-subject-nfa

On a side note, maybe it's not the best thing to announce that you are preparing to create an illegal shotgun that can earn you prison time on a public forum.

That's not a joke.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Any recommendations for a place to chop my REM 870 barrel from 18" to 12" and install a bead? Possibly port it as well.

When I get off work tonight, I'll see if I can find the name of the guy I used. He was reasonable and had good turnaround time.

Or, you can search for "barrel services" or "shotgun gunsmith" on the shotgun world forum. That's where I found him.

Scott at Scott's gunsmithing also chopped a barrel for me and did a fantastic job, as usual. But, his work load is usually pretty substantial.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah... I don't get why everyone jumps on the illegal bandwagon right away. It is perfectly legal to do... you just need the tax stamp before you do it. OP has been here a long time... he is neither a fool nor a criminal.

Us 13ers have to stick together.

Damned ‘13’ers.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Cut down with an old hacksaw and a $5 plastic miter box from home depot. Walt Frear installed the bead

ETA; yes I have a stamp for it.

Attachments

• 4669C2F2-D5F0-4DC8-9D1B-FA25D075B5B4.jpg
      4669C2F2-D5F0-4DC8-9D1B-FA25D075B5B4.jpg
      20.7 KB · Views: 314

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads