• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    A few months ago I was considering joining the IWL, either the Rockville or Bethesda/Chevy Chase chapters, but then I saw that the League had joined in a lawsuit against the Trump administration regarding the Waters of the United States regulation. The League is wrong on the law, fwiw, and I was not interested in joining a group suing a Republican administration, so I didn’t join then.

But... I’m trying to keep an open mind. What are your impressions of the group? I am all for conservation but not interested in joining an environmentalist group that thinks that Rs are the bad guys. Is that what they’re like? Or is it mainly sportsmen/sportswomen and that lawsuit is an outlier? Would appreciate your input.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    I have been a member of the Harford County Chapter for about twenty-five years and overall it is a good group of people working hard for the environment. Most of the local group didn't agree with the Waters of the United States lawsuit which was done at the national level. As with any organization (the NRA comes to mind) there has to be consensus so I don't always agree with everything, but on the whole they are willing to put on work boots and gloves and get dirty when it will make a difference. The local chapters have provided hunter safety courses to thousands of kids, both of mine included, and they host all sorts of events for both the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Both of the chapters you mentioned are very active and involved. It's probably worth your time and money.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I’ll second that, more pluses than minuses in my opinion but it’s been a good while since I’ve been a member. Conservatism and environmentalism are worthy efforts. The problem is that a lot of the movement has been too hijacked by liberal agendas. Conservatives working within the movement are needed.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I’ll second that, more pluses than minuses in my opinion but it’s been a good while since I’ve been a member. Conservatism and environmentalism are worthy efforts. The problem is that a lot of the movement has been too hijacked by liberal agendas. Conservatives working within the movement are needed.

This^^^^ we have ceded far too much to liberals at every level in our communities-- eventually we find ourselves clawing and scratching to stay at a table just to have a voice that no longer matters because...meh, you're one deep and you no longer matter.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I am a long time BCC member, past Board Member... It is a great organization. I call it right wing green which in real life should be pretty centrist. Its generally fishermen & hunters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Think of IWL as a Conservation Organization that also frequently has a gun range , rather than a gun club per se .

Before there was an Environmental Movement which subsequently became leftist , the Conservation movement was largely neutral to conservative . IWL remains a sane Conservation Org .

Having a concern for wildlife habitat doesn't preclude being a Conservative .

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your input. I am leaning towards joining. Over the past year I’ve spent even more time than usual out in nature with my kids and have come to feel pretty strongly about the importance of conservation. And I agree there should be more of a voice on these issues from the right. Plus I hear the IWL members-only lake in Seneca Creek State Park actually has fish, unlike Clopper. :)

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Damascus iwla

Before becoming a refugee from Rockville, I was a member of the Damascus chapter. They do good work and have nice ranges. http://damascusiwla.org/

I leave up the street from the rockville chapter- in Germantown!!! Lol. My good friend Outrider goes to Damascus and likes it better than the Rockville one. I will more than likely join the Damascus one soon

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I leave up the street from the rockville chapter- in Germantown!!! Lol. My good friend Outrider goes to Damascus and likes it better than the Rockville one. I will more than likely join the Damascus one soon

I never looked into it, or even thought about it, but does membership in one site, like Damascus, confer any membership rights to others? It is all supposed to be IWLA, correct?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I never looked into it, or even thought about it, but does membership in one site, like Damascus, confer any membership rights to others? It is all supposed to be IWLA, correct?

Unfortunately there’s no reciprocity between the clubs. As a member of a local chapter you also belong to the state and national IWLA.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll second the upvote for Damascus. Nice handgun range. Very nice rifle range. Frederick IWLA is considerably smaller but, equally well-kept and shooter-friendly. I'm impressed with IWLA's facilities. They're nothing fancy but, they definitely get the job done.

Gliderkit1

Aug 8, 2019
    Frederick county
    Joined the mt airy chapter last yr. got tired of going to hap baker and not being able to get a lane. It’s a long process to join application orientation and taking the RSO class. But after that great facility’s (300 yard rifle range) good ppl and a good time. Nvr knew anything about the law suite. But like stated they are a conservation group iam a strong conservative but don’t always Agee with everything the republican party does. It’s also a strong group of pro 2A shooters as well. Nvr seen a Burnie Bumper sticker in the parking lot so......

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any opinions on which is better between the Rockville and Bethesda/Chevy Chase chapters?
    BCC has a good bit of land you can hunt on. Rockville had a little land you could bow hunt back when I was a member there, but it was quite a few years ago. Damascus has no huntable land as of now.

Both Rockville and Damascus' rifle ranges are 100 yds. I am not sure about BCC's.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    BCC has a good bit of land you can hunt on. Rockville had a little land you could bow hunt back when I was a member there, but it was quite a few years ago. Damascus has no huntable land as of now.

Both Rockville and Damascus' rifle ranges are 100 yds. I am not sure about BCC's.

It’s 100 yards too. BCC and Damascus have more positions/tables than Rockville’s 3. No shotgun shooting at Rockville anymore either.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s 100 yards too. BCC and Damascus have more positions/tables than Rockville’s 3. No shotgun shooting at Rockville anymore either.
    I'll add, WAC(Damasus) has a pretty strong skeet range. I'm not into that so I always forget to mention it.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    When I was in Monkey county I looked into BCC and Rockville but didn’t pursue it. Now that I live in Coward county, I’ve thought of joining Damascus as it’s not too far and a nice drive. This was after attending the Veteran’s Day shoot they did several years ago. That was awesome! Great time. My only reservation was volunteer hours. I don’t have an issue with that but my job demands too much. No extra time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom