• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Wondering how their destroyed warehouse and two employee fatalities play into their decision.

Not much at all, I'd imagine. We're talking about office space, here. Nothing to do with their distribution operations. Main draw for the MoCo or NoVa locations would be proximity to the federal cloud business they're increasingly pursuing.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Like the DC area needs even more traffic and lack of infrastructure for. The city and state that gets the Amazon HQ will have tons of bragging rights but will also take a hit on supporting needs which everyone gets to pay for.

It's a double-edged sword...if I owned property where they want to locate and they offered me tons of money for it I'd be quite happy. If I owned property nearby where the taxes would skyrocket but my income wouldn't...very little joy. Either way...the commuting time for everyone in the area will get even worse. But...they will have bragging rights to Amazon's second headquarters.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Charles Payne (FBN) reporting that the word now is that the second HQ will be split among two cities. So, actually a two-fer. 2nd and 3rd "HQ."

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Charles Payne (FBN) reporting that the word now is that the second HQ will be split among two cities. So, actually a two-fer. 2nd and 3rd "HQ."

Dallas, CC, and New York are the 3 cities left on the table, 2 will be picked.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    On Channel 9 News this morning at 4:30am they said Amazon most likely will split it between NYC on Long Island and Crystal City. How many people who work for Amazon and would have to move would want to go to NYC? They are just as bad as Cali in every way, IMHO in someways worse then Cali,such as parking, rent and or trying to buy a home, gun laws well you get the idea....

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    "the company has promised 50,000 jobs" ... What does that mean, 50,000 more leftists voting in VA? While not everyone who works for amazon is going to vote D, this is just another thumb on the scale tipping VA into the blue.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I work in Crystal City, and I can definitely say that the road system here is NOT up to accommodating 50k more workers. Traffic is friggin' awful on the nearby highways past 3PM as it is. Wish they would have more seriously considered White Flint.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    was hoping it wouldn't be anywhere near DC, we have way more than enough traffic, but at least glad it's pretty far east of leesburg.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I work in Crystal City, and I can definitely say that the road system here is NOT up to accommodating 50k more workers. Traffic is friggin' awful on the nearby highways past 3PM as it is. Wish they would have more seriously considered White Flint.

Has CC expanded into the old railyard or are they looking at NC1,2,3 the old
    Nav Sea Systems buildings? It was FUBAR over 30 years ago.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Amazon will announce today they have chosen two locations for HQ2

Crystal City, VA
    Long Island City in Queens, NYC

Mont Co MD thanks for playing

krucam

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      71 KB · Views: 237

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So she wants to tax dead people?

I love people too lazy to spell out words.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Not much at all, I'd imagine. We're talking about office space, here. Nothing to do with their distribution operations. Main draw for the MoCo or NoVa locations would be proximity to the federal cloud business they're increasingly pursuing.

Amazon Web Services (AWS), is already a $20 billion/year business unit of theirs, and at last check was somewhere around 15x larger than a pile of other cloud services, combined. The cloud and data centers is a huge business for them. But as you've stated, Crystal City would be office space for them; not product distribution or data centers.

this is great for crystal city. some developers are licking their chops. local construction is happy to have the influx of money.

JBG Smith began pulling vacant office space out of the rental market recently in preparation of this announcement. Very big deal for JBG Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom