• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Hi,

I am new to bow hunting and have decided to start with a Crossbow, I don't have a large budget as I cant go hunting but a few times a year. I know this is a very vague question but I would just like opinions for a new hunter. I have zero knowledge of brand reputation or even differences in styles. My plan is to use this to target shoot and mainly hunt Whitetail Deer. I have narrowed it down between 1 used bow and 2 new bows. Sorry if this is too broad, TIA.

USED - Horton Legend XL 175 - Owner says he bought it new 3 years ago and has only shot it a few times. From pictures it looks in good condition. - $250

NEW - Barnett Jackall package - https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/barnett-jackal-crossbow?a=681070 - $179

New Center Point Sniper 370 - https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...b-draw-weight-4x32mm-crossbow-scope?a=2055645 - $269

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ^^^This. What he said.

I hate myself for saying this, but check out the Horton Legend first and see what kind of shape it's in. Not a fan of used xbows, but if it is in good shape, it will probably be the better bow.

The second link didn't work.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have a Horton from just before their bankruptcy, of the three it is probably the best bet. Do like earlier mentioned run a cotton ball over the limbs and examine the string. If it looks good it will do what you need.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You can get a PSE Fang crossbow for $299 on Amazon. I used the same one last season and it's a great, inexpensive bow. Buy a set of broadheads and you're good to go.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    For the price you really cant beat the jackal package. I got it for 240 and was happy. Accurate and no issues.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    what are the distance requirements regarding shooting a crossbow?

Like how far away from another house etc..

County specific

•It is illegal to hunt or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Anne Arundel County and 50 yards in Calvert, Carroll, Frederick, and St. Mary’s counties. In Harford and Montgomery counties, the distance for archery hunters is now 50 yards, however, archers must use a tree stand when hunting between 50 and 100 yards of an occupied dwelling or other building.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And also that is for hunting. Distance for practice or whatever either don't exist or will be in the county ordinances. Of course that doesn't mean if you piss off your neighbors you won't get a cop or DNR officer citing you for unsafe discharge/safety zone violations and you finding out how friendly the judge is.

Frankly all counties should go to 50yds, at least for hunting from a tree stand and 100yds for non-tree stand archery (or just 50yds for everything).

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have an Excalibur crossbow and paid decent money for it....my stepson bought a wicked ridge and to be honest, it shoots just as well and has a better trigger than mine does. No need to spend big $ on a crossbow, I'd give wicked ridge a hard look.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I traded a used sidelock muzzleloader for a crossbow and took that into the woods once. Did not get anything with it but It had a red dot on it. I personally don't like red dots for hunting. I don't want to have deal with it. I like the extra light gathering of a low mag scope with the elevation lines. My first harvest with the Barnett and the fixed scope was about 10 minutes before end of legal hunting time. I appreciated the fact that the low mag scope made things look brighter in the dark of the woods as it gathers more light than your eyes do.

Inventory up all the accessories you may need (better quality bolts, broadheads, target(s) for broadhead or field points). If you buy on the low end of a xbow, your accessories and targets may be almost the same $$.

My input. Good luck

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Look for micro cracks on the limbs.

Take a cotton ball and lightly rub it against the limbs. If any cotton strands stick to the limbs, it is starting to crack.

The older horton cross bows are not supported by the new company. This is a buyer beware situation.

The Horton recall notice: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Recall-Notice-Horton-Crossbows-/10000000001915796/g.html
    Good tip. Might've saved me last year opening day. 30 min prior to legal hours, sitting in my tree waiting for light. Heard a crack real close to me, not sure what it was. When it got light enough I could see the lower-left limb on my brand new (cocked & loaded) Carbon X-press Covert XL cracked in half all by itself. Had less than 20 shots in it - brand new last summer, sighted in probably 5 bolts plus few more practice then practiced a little more next weekend. Never got to shoot at a critter. Lowered it to ground & sat there watching 20-25 deer within 20 yds of me all am.

I hunt with guys that have Wicked Ridge, and Excalibur xbows and they love it. I had a Parker Cyclone previously for 5-6 years & LOVED it, until I broke a limb my dumb self shooting at a deer behind my tree without making sure of limb clearance.

So I recommend Excalibur, Wicked a Ridge, & Parker. Carbon X-press not so much.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Good tip. Might've saved me last year opening day. 30 min prior to legal hours, sitting in my tree waiting for light. Heard a crack real close to me, not sure what it was. When it got light enough I could see the lower-left limb on my brand new (cocked & loaded) Carbon X-press Covert XL cracked in half all by itself. Had less than 20 shots in it - brand new last summer, sighted in probably 5 bolts plus few more practice then practiced a little more next weekend. Never got to shoot at a critter. Lowered it to ground & sat there watching 20-25 deer within 20 yds of me all am.

Wow, that's nuts!

I hope they replaced it for you or refunded your money!

I have my old Horton checked every year prior to use (likely needs a new string this year) especially since it was the model subject to a partial recall (this one was a simple recall that added a buffer washer to the limb bolts). It's been good, but it is HEAVY compared to stuff you find out there these days.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not yet, Carbon X-press told me to take to a licensed service location & it would get fixed for free. FYI, Bass Pro is one. "Luckily" I'm a World Class Procrastinator, and haven't taken it in yet, it's only been 11 months:innocent0

NOW FOR THE OP Seriously tho, I wanted to get back to vertical bow hunting anyway, last year gave me that opportunity. Had to x-bow years ago due to torn rotator cuff, as fate would have it that happened the 1st year that x-bows were made legal statewide without a doctor's note anyway. Shoulder's been good for last 2 years, so I'm not that concerned with it. I want to fix it tho, so my Dad can use it sometimes and I'll still use it some. Some of the shorter walks/easier hunts I like using it.

Make no mistake, if you are new to it and haven't used one before, they are a PITA to carry with a climbing tree stand strapped to your back, and even more a PITA sitting up in that tree with it as there really isn't a purpose-built holder so you'll have to hold it all day, clanging off your stand and such. I encourage you to sit up in a tree a few times with it ahead of opening day to get used to it and figure out your own best way to hunt with it. Even a decent gun rest/holder doesn't work well as only part of the x-bow runs "north-south" while the front runs "east-west", taking up leg room in your tree stand. You could use a tree-hook hanger (like the Realtree version) but it'll kinda swing around on you and you'll never have it in a decent position to grab it when that critter shows up suddenly. X-bow hunting IS a great way to fill your freezer, but be prepared to change or at least alter the way you hunt if you hunt from the air (at least from an enclosed climber - other stand types or ground blinds are much easier to deal with)...

Seriously tho, I wish the very best of luck to you this year, and welcome to the brotherhood.:party29:

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
      IMG_0422.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 233
    • IMG_0420.jpg
      IMG_0420.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 236

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Make no mistake, if you are new to it and haven't used one before, they are a PITA to carry with a climbing tree stand strapped to your back

Never, ever climb into a tree stand with a gun/bow/crossbow on your back.

That is what a "haul line" is for. 550 cord or clothes line works in a pinch.

If you have the misfortune of falling, that will make a bad situation worse.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Never, ever climb into a tree stand with a gun/bow/crossbow on your back.

That is what a "haul line" is for. 550 cord or clothes line works in a pinch.

If you have the misfortune of falling, that will make a bad situation worse.
    Wasn't advocating that. Walking 1 to 2 miles on public land with a 25 lb tree stand on your back plus pack, you have to carry the x-bow with one hand (at least) at an unusual angle or position. The bow keeps hitting the part of your stand that sticks out to the sides, so you can't carry it in a comfortable manner. Strapping it to the stand only promotes games spooking rattling & clanging w/possible damage to the bow. I wasn't advocating climbing with anything on your back, just how walking is a PITA with an unwieldy weapon in your hands & 25-35 lbs of junk on your back. Not impossible or really a deal breaker, but you better get used to it & develop a system that works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom