• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wow... I'm not used to shooting .45-70. Got my rifle and yesterday spent some time with it getting the scope sighted in.... 20 rounds later, I said, that's it... I'm done. I'm not a recoil wimp, but that baby packs a punch.

Welcome to manhood :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Wow... I'm not used to shooting .45-70. Got my rifle and yesterday spent some time with it getting the scope sighted in.... 20 rounds later, I said, that's it... I'm done. I'm not a recoil wimp, but that baby packs a punch.

What ammo were you shooting???

The 300 grain Winchester and Federal JHPs are rather mild.
    The 405 grain Remington JSP are even more mild.

My 'pet' load of a Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolit and Hercules RL-7 powder is fairly mild.

Stepping up another 2.5 grains, and after 5 rounds, I've had enough.

I broke my neck in '01, and the doctors have all cleared me to shoot whatever I want, but, IF it hurts....... stop.

You also might consider a Simms Laboratory "Limbsaver" pad.
    That is the FIRST thing that I did to my 1895G.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I was shooting Remington Express 300 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point.... it was an older box that I had lying around. I just ordered reloading dies for it so I will start playing around (now that I have a few empty brass) :-)

The recoil pad on the rifle is like a brick too... that was no-doubt part of the problem.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    What ammo were you shooting???

The 300 grain Winchester and Federal JHPs are rather mild.
    The 405 grain Remington JSP are even more mild.

My 'pet' load of a Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolit and Hercules RL-7 powder is fairly mild.

Stepping up another 2.5 grains, and after 5 rounds, I've had enough.

I broke my neck in '01, and the doctors have all cleared me to shoot whatever I want, but, IF it hurts....... stop.

You also might consider a Simms Laboratory "Limbsaver" pad.
    That is the FIRST thing that I did to my 1895G.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reload my own... 405GR, 460GR and 520GR FN

Attachments

• 20160730_152429.jpg
      20160730_152429.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 104
    • 20160901_222709.jpg
      20160901_222709.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 109

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Those are some beautiful pictures, folks. Really.

I own a few trapdoors and do not consider the 45-70 to be a rifle round....more like artillery. It is a
    beautiful thing.

Here's hoping Marlin is coming back...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I was shooting Remington Express 300 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point.... it was an older box that I had lying around. I just ordered reloading dies for it so I will start playing around (now that I have a few empty brass) :-)

The recoil pad on the rifle is like a brick too... that was no-doubt part of the problem.

Oh yeah.
    The factory "brick" that was on the back of my Guide Gun buttstock had the same softness as concrete or brick.

I fitted a Limbsaver pad to my Guide Gun and it makes all the difference in the world!!!!!!!

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Hickok45, a Youtube shooting legend, recently posted a great video on the long barrel Cowboy 1895. What timing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diO62p2sMWw

I own several Marlin 1895's, including a GBL. That is the short barrel, 6 round magazine with the big loop lever and nice brown laminated stock. It is a Remlin gun but the best one I have seen. I looked through over a dozen before I settled on mine. My early 80's 1895GS is a far slicker, better finished gun but my new one ain't too bad.
    Take a careful look at Hickok's Cowboy gun, he compares it to an earlier 1894 just to show the differences between Marlin and the Freedom Group guns. Lots of shortcuts, wood to metal not too good, odd contrast in the blueing. The gun does though, seem to shoot good. You can tell by watching the video that the action is rough and kind of clunky. Yes, it is a new gun, but it should not be that bad.

BTW, I shoot the Hornady Lever-evolution 325grain bullets, great for south Georgia wild hogs. 45-70 is probably the easiest rifle round you can handload for.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Who's boolits are those????? Did you cast 'em??????

I've had GREAT results from the Cast Performance LWNGC.

HARD boolits. Even after an afternoon of shooting, there's no leading.
    I REALLY like 'em! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I use a number of manufacturers such as Oregon Trail Laser Cast with homemade gas checks, Cast Performance with brass gas checks, and also cast some of my own. Good results with all 3. The ones in the photo are Cast Performance 460gr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom