• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A good friend called me and asked me to take a look at an old revolver that he discovered, while cleaning out his Dad's house. (His Dad recently passed away.)

It's a S&W top break .38 S&W (hammerless), and it looks like at some point, 'someone' has tried to remove some rust from the outside surfaces, and now this old revolver is "in the white".
    The rollmark on the right side is almost gone, and the stamping on the left side of the barrel is virtually gone.
    (At least the serial number on the bottom of the butt is still in good shape!)

The reason for needing a gunsmith, the hand does not rotate the cylinder, and the trigger seems to be 'stuck'.

I haven't taken the side plate off, yet. I need to investigate/study up on the action, before I'll open it.

Any suggestions for a 'smith that will be willing/able to fix this old revolver????

My friend lives in Brooklyn Park, but, he's willing to travel a realistic distance.

Thanks.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Forgive me, but are you sure it's a Smith and Wesson and not a Webley chambered in .38/200?

byf43

Forgive me, but are you sure it's a Smith and Wesson and not a Webley chambered in .38/200?

Hi Jim.

Yes, it's a Smith & Wesson. The S&W rollmark is still partially visible on the right side of the frame, and the S&W logo is still very visible on the grip panels.

I 'think' this is a Model 2, "auto ejector" - hammerless.

I looked online last night, trying to see exactly what it was.

Who/whomever worked on the finish, did a GREAT job of getting the bluing off.
    The daggone engraving/stamping of the cartridge info on the barrel is all but gone.
    Just a very faint "ctg" remains.

I've got a partial box of .38 S&W ammo in a drawer, in my loading room and the ammo does chamber, perfectly.

I'm 100% certain that it's S&W.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    A good friend called me and asked me to take a look at an old revolver that he discovered, while cleaning out his Dad's house. (His Dad recently passed away.)

It's a S&W top break .38 S&W (hammerless), and it looks like at some point, 'someone' has tried to remove some rust from the outside surfaces, and now this old revolver is "in the white".
    The rollmark on the right side is almost gone, and the stamping on the left side of the barrel is virtually gone.
    (At least the serial number on the bottom of the butt is still in good shape!)

The reason for needing a gunsmith, the hand does not rotate the cylinder, and the trigger seems to be 'stuck'.

I haven't taken the side plate off, yet. I need to investigate/study up on the action, before I'll open it.

Any suggestions for a 'smith that will be willing/able to fix this old revolver????

My friend lives in Brooklyn Park, but, he's willing to travel a realistic distance.

Thanks.

What exactly does the hand does not rotate the cylinder mean?
    You can't rotate the cylinder by hand?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The internal part that rotates the cylinder is called the hand.
    It's the little spur that protrudes through the recoil shield and pushes up on the ratchet teeth on the back of the cylinder.

byf43

Follow-Up

Here are some photos of the revolver.

Drove to Brooklyn Park yesterday, and I opened up the sideplate last night, and it appears that the mainspring is broken.

Somebody also tried to shove it under another spring to make it work. :sad20:

Gotta try to find a mainspring for this old revolver. Maybe Numerich Arms.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom