• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Do you have any info on the 223 subsonic? I've never seen that.

I've got some. It's quiet, but really more of a novelty. You basically end up with the ballistic equivalent of a .22LR for $1 per round.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Spectre II or SS Sparrow. IMO they're the only two worth considering. Just remember, you're gonna have it forever. Buy the best you can and don't skimp on a couple bucks here or there.

And my suggestion would be to use a 4.5" barrel. The reason is, a barrel of 4.5" or less will keep bulk pack high velocity ammo like Federal or Winchester at subsonic velocity. Anything over 4.5" will let it go supersonic and then you're stuck buying standard or subsonic ammo to take advantage of the suppressor. Anything less than 4-4.5" will suffer in reliability from lack of back pressure.

The perfect setup, from my testing, is a 4.5" barrel with a 7" rail and 5-6" suppressor.

Here's mine. It consists of a 4.5" dedicated 22lr barrel, CMMG dedicated 22lr bolt, 7" Troy Alpha rail, and SS Sparrow suppressor. It runs 100% with all the ammo I've tried through it except for CCI Quiet which doesn't run in any semi-auto's anyways. But Federal, Win, and Rem bulk run 100% as well as CCI Standard, Subsonic, Mini, etc....

IMAG0282.jpg

That's one sweet looking setup. Did you put it together yourself?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Sparrow is FA rated and rated for all rimfire, 5.7 and .22 Hornet.
    I would stick with a Sparrow or Spectre if I was buying another. Spectre has less first round pop. Can't comment on if it's FA or not. And yes, an ultrasonic cleaner makes life a lot easier if shooting .22, both for the baffles and bolt. FWIW, I found that Engage had the best prices on cans. And a lot in stock usually. They've been a joy to work with, just a long drive is all.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I have a Sparrow and I think it might be misaligned, I might have to send it back to Silencerco. At 7 yds, my rounds drop 7 inches!! It might be shaving. I have 3 different factory threaded guns with the same results. I was told by Silencerco not to use the Sparrow for anything other than 22LR. It can not handle the pressure. Of course they want to sell another can.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a Spectre II and would highly recommend it. I used the dip to clean the baffles and it was easy. It is hollywood quiet on all of my hosts and NO FRP to speak of. It seems to be heavier duty that the Sparrow. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    That's one sweet looking setup. Did you put it together yourself?
    Sure did. After seeing similar ones on AR15.com I had to have my own. I had a custom barrel made and when it showed up everything went together easily. I absolutely love it!
    What kind of ultrasonic so you guys have
    I have a Hornady 2L. I chose it because it has both heat, and the ability to set it to 30 minute cycles while most other ultrasonics can only be set to 8 minute cycles.
    I was told by Silencerco not to use the Sparrow for anything other than 22LR. It can not handle the pressure. Of course they want to sell another can.
    They warranty it for life when used with the listed calibers. There's a reason for that.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    since it's a snow day.. i'm gonna do some can research...

i just ordered the whole upper assembly from taccom...

4" barrel
    Enhanced firing pin
    Extreme Extractor
    High Perf recoil spring
    TACCOM upper
    TACCOM bolt

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a Sparrow and I think it might be misaligned, I might have to send it back to Silencerco. At 7 yds, my rounds drop 7 inches!! It might be shaving. I have 3 different factory threaded guns with the same results. I was told by Silencerco not to use the Sparrow for anything other than 22LR. It can not handle the pressure. Of course they want to sell another can.

The instructions that came with my can say it is only FA rated for 22LR, but says it can be used for any smaller RF cals and 5.7 assuming they mean semi auto in other cals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom