• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Depending on where this 400 acres is, I am guessing Harford Co., a fair price is $20 an acre for a relative, IMO. If he were advertising this for lease to a stranger he could probably get $30+ for it.

Even at $20 an acre that would be outrageous for only 3 of you. I would try to get away from the per acre price and just try to make a flat offer to your Uncle. Maybe he would take $2500 from his Nephew????

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Maybe it is me. I would never charge a family member to hunt my land. All I ask is that they respect the property.

Maybe I should have charged my mother in law when she called me for a ride when her car broke down. Or when my sister needed help moving. Or my uncle when he needed help with shipping something to Switzerland. Or my brother in law when he needed some work done to the house.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    One way to battle the hunters who think they can bring their buddies with them is calling DNR if you see this. Whoever doesn't have their written permission slip gets in trouble. Whoever does gets booted for being an ******* for doing what you told them not to do! I know of landowners who get so tired of the nonsense that goes on that they decided no one can hunt their land anymore or they start to ONLY lease and charge ridiculous prices and only for a very small # of people.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I wouldn't charge family but there's also family that I wouldn't offer the opportunity to hunt. Some people are jerks despite the fact they are related to you. We all have them in our families.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The farm is down in cecilton

Hmmmmm....

Refer to my post about that area. We hunted Warwick/Earleville a few times this year, the area is absolutely PACKED with birds, major fly over zone. Very very common to see $2k+ per season for goose pit rights ONLY. I don't know where some of you guys are getting these per acre quotes, but they don't hold true in Southern Cecil Co.

Hossfly

Feb 6, 2013
    Keep in mind that not all 400 acres may be "huntable acres". If there is a house/barn, cows, road frontage etc., this cuts into how much land you can can actually hunt on.

However, that does help you negotiate the price a little bit. It could be that there are only 300 huntable acres, or some such, once you look at it on a map. There may be certain areas where you can only shoot in one direction, safely, so that also plays into it.

Check it out and make sure you sign an actual lease/contract that gives you exclusivity for hunting. A hunting lease is a lot like a rental agreement. He can't rent you a house and expect you to let his friends sleep on your couch, the same should go for a hunting lease.

The following is a blog I wrote on the subject. I have been around the block a time or two on this subject.
    http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/journals/38888/Land-Owners-Hunters-and-the-Deer-Lease-

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    I would definitly try to get your uncle to quote a price first to see what he thinks its worth. If he won't, I'd start at $2000 for all three of you and work up to $3000 tops. I'm not sure I'd pay more than $1000 a man, but its up to you of course.

That said, most private leases for that amount of acreage and for deer and waterfowl, generally would cost more than $3000. The waterfowl rights are getting more money now a days than deer hunting rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom