• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Gents,

I just got divorced from an anti. Then Newtown happened. I'm waiting for my first purchase to clear (26JAN). I bought a LE6920 at the Howard show which is waiting to wait. Of course my collector paperwork was sent in 28JAN and I'm still waiting for that. I put a deposit down on two of the Engage lowers (will get more if the paperwork comes through soon). Rusty Shackleford will start work on my NFA trust this week and once it's back, I will get busy on NFA buying.

So, here's my question. Knowing the above, what would you do with the lowers? Would you complete the lower and buy a complete upper and stick with standard lengths, maybe building a SPR out of one? Would you try to SBR one or both? Would you do custom builds of both since there's a standard LE6920? Finally, regardless of length, etc, what calibers would you choose? I was considering .300 blackout and 9mm or .40. Also, I'd like to suppress them too (hence the trust).

Let's hear your ideas. Money is an object but I can spend a few thousand. Depending on how the law goes and what's available (suppressors and threaded barrels) I can deal with maybe 8k total to spend before the ban hits.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For me, I have a BCM rifle with a 20" barrel. I also have two lowers. One will probably become a 16" mid-length. The other will most likely become a 9mm but there is the chance of going with an SBR and a suppressor.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    300BLK (supressed) and a 5.56 shorty (for the stripped lowers) - get to use the same can if you do a YHM can, there may be quieter cans, but the versatility is hard to dismiss.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Thanks for the rapid input! I forgot to say that these will be my first builds and I'm a newb regarding that despite carrying an M16 and M4 for a year in Iraq. I'm also a total newb with cans. Versatility is good but if I don't buy/can't find a few threaded pistols in various calibers and respective cans, I can get more than one for the ar. I do like the idea of a 300 and a short 5.56. Just have to find a place for the colt.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The colt is a workhorse that will serve you well for years to come.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Colt, in the safe. It's going to hold it's value better than the builds, IMO. If for some reason you ever have to sell something, the Colt will get you more.

Aftermarket threaded barrels are out there for the handguns - what handguns do you currently have?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    At the moment, the steyr m9. Can get a factory barrel for three bills. Planning on buying a .40 and a .45 at min. Haven't decided on brand but want to get threaded for them. Had a Sig 229 with .40 and .357Sig barrels that ex made me sell. Damn nice gun. Saw a Remington .45 with can at Engage last week. Most of my experience is through my life long friend's well stocked safe. Never had to own till getting leaving Texas and getting divorced which coincided with Newtown.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    You should thank the deity of your choice that your ex didn't file a false abuse claim. Damned VAWA. **** Biden. (and now Boehner)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i only plan on SBR'ing one ar lower. can only shoot thru one upper at a time anyway. ;)

the ak's, however, are a different story, since you can't really reconfigure those very easily....so 2 SBR's there for me. ;)

djleepanda

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2011
    Elkridge
    Gents,

I just got divorced from an anti. Then Newtown happened. I'm waiting for my first purchase to clear (26JAN). I bought a LE6920 at the Howard show which is waiting to wait. Of course my collector paperwork was sent in 28JAN and I'm still waiting for that. I put a deposit down on two of the Engage lowers (will get more if the paperwork comes through soon). Rusty Shackleford will start work on my NFA trust this week and once it's back, I will get busy on NFA buying.

So, here's my question. Knowing the above, what would you do with the lowers? Would you complete the lower and buy a complete upper and stick with standard lengths, maybe building a SPR out of one? Would you try to SBR one or both? Would you do custom builds of both since there's a standard LE6920? Finally, regardless of length, etc, what calibers would you choose? I was considering .300 blackout and 9mm or .40. Also, I'd like to suppress them too (hence the trust).

Let's hear your ideas. Money is an object but I can spend a few thousand. Depending on how the law goes and what's available (suppressors and threaded barrels) I can deal with maybe 8k total to spend before the ban hits.

Well if I was in your position (with the divorce and free time) I would definitely build the lowers part by part. It might be a good idea to get your mind off things and spend some time researching and building for a AR project. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom