• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Does anybody load subsonic expanding projectiles for their 300 Blackout, if so which pill are you stuffing in your cases?
    I’m looking at these from Hornady but as for now they seem next to impossible to find.
    https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-.308-190-gr-sub-x#!/

I found some Hornady factory rounds so I bought a few to try and see how they do but I wanted other reloaders input on what they might be using while staying subsonic for hunting.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Does anybody load subsonic expanding projectiles for their 300 Blackout, if so which pill are you stuffing in your cases?
    I’m looking at these from Hornady but as for now they seem next to impossible to find.
    https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-.308-190-gr-sub-x#!/

I found some Hornady factory rounds so I bought a few to try and see how they do but I wanted other reloaders input on what they might be using while staying subsonic for hunting.

Those sub x are what you want. I tried the nosler 220gr ballistic tips designed for sub use with bad results. The sub x is the bees knees for cost per bullet. If you wanna get really fancy go to the Lehigh defense site and check out their subs. I've never shot em but people swear by em for killing critters with a subsonic load. They're about a buck a bullet however.

Edit: I haven't shot anything alive with any of the above yet. But the gel tests online for the sub x are very promising looking. They also sound great out of a boot gun with a can.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Buff,
    What you shoot them out of matters a fair amount. I haven't found any that stayed sub out of a 16in bolt gun aside from the Silencerco Harvesters (which I don't think are made anymore). Seems most are made for AR platforms and are just a bit too fast for bolt guns.

I handload mine with Sierra Game Kings, think they are 220gr. Likely not really expanding but should "rivet" some with the exposed lead on the end. Accurate and right around 1000fps.

For me, it is a short range option. Better BC than a 45acp but about the same thing.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Those sub x are what you want. I tried the nosler 220gr ballistic tips designed for sub use with bad results. The sub x is the bees knees for cost per bullet. If you wanna get really fancy go to the Lehigh defense site and check out their subs. I've never shot em but people swear by em for killing critters with a subsonic load. They're about a buck a bullet however.

Edit: I haven't shot anything alive with any of the above yet. But the gel tests online for the sub x are very promising looking. They also sound great out of a boot gun with a can.

The gel tests are what caught my eye, expansion looked about perfect.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff,
    What you shoot them out of matters a fair amount. I haven't found any that stayed sub out of a 16in bolt gun aside from the Silencerco Harvesters (which I don't think are made anymore). Seems most are made for AR platforms and are just a bit too fast for bolt guns.

I handload mine with Sierra Game Kings, think they are 220gr. Likely not really expanding but should "rivet" some with the exposed lead on the end. Accurate and right around 1000fps.

For me, it is a short range option. Better BC than a 45acp but about the same thing.

I guess I should have listed the platform. :o 16” AR with a form 1 home brewed titanium 8” baffled can.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm loading Lehigh .308 194g Maximum Expansion bullets over 11.7g A-1680

Super accurate, no feeding or ejection problems. I'm shooting them through a Rainier Ultramatch 10.5" barrel suppressed.

I've been trying to try them on deer, but I have yet gotten the shot I want(basically a bow shot distance) so...maybe this will be the year.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Super accurate, no feeding or ejection problems. I'm shooting them through a Rainier Ultramatch 10.5" barrel suppressed.

I've been trying to try them on deer, but I have yet gotten the shot I want(basically a bow shot distance) so...maybe this will be the year.

Ugh, not that it's my business but how are they legal for deer? You hunting out of MD?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Good luck to you. I’ll be trying mine in West Virginia this year also, assuming I’m done with work by then. :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good luck to you. I’ll be trying mine in West Virginia this year also, assuming I’m done with work by then. :sad20:

Same to ya Buff! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna try and sneak out your way before then. I'll give you a heads up if I do...

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Ugh, not that it's my business but how are they legal for deer? You hunting out of MD?

What makes them not legal for Md?
    Serious question.I am thinking of getting a can for deer hunting.It would make the neighbors happy.The property lines are close,so I would want the best killing bullet for behind the shoulder shots if that's possible with subs

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Serious question.I am thinking of getting a can for deer hunting.It would make the neighbors happy.The property lines are close,so I would want the best killing bullet for behind the shoulder shots if that's possible with subs

Must have 1200 ft-lbs of muzzle energy for MD. Unless it's an air rifle...

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Or a pistol....then you only have to hit 700 ft/lbs.

And unless it's an SBR, a 10.5" barrel would be on a pistol build.

Unfortunately, that combination doesn't make enough energy either to be MD legal, not that I care anyway as I have seen ethical shots made with much less energy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Beyond Maryland legal questions, I’d want what is likely to drop it. Which isn’t going to be a sub unless you drill it through the spine, brain pan or maybe shoulder (I’d question an expanding subsonic bullet being able to drill both shoulders and only breaking one shoulder might not drop it, probably could)

If you are obeying safety zones and/or the neighbors have signed off on you hunting from within them I’d go for what’s the most likely to stop the deer as fast as possible if escape to a neighbor’s property is a possibility with a small property.

A supersonic rifle round (well supersonic) is what’s most likely going to do that. A subsonic round is going to behave not too much different than a cross bow bolt of similar cross section.

It just doesn’t have the velocity to cause any significant tissue disruption outside of what’s actually crushed or cut as the bullet passes. A supersonic round will disrupt tissue outside of the direct bullet ripping and crushing as it passes. Why when you hit a deer with, say, a stout .308 and open up a deer it’s vitals tend to be pretty will torn apart. Open up a deer from a crossbow bolt or a slower pistol round and it’s basically a distinct wound path through the animal.

Especially if you are in the woods, a can is going to significantly reduce the report. Unless you are really close or know better, you’re likely just to ignore it as someone hammering something or what not. It’s still fairly distinctive (not that I’ve been at a medium distance from suppressed supersonic shooting much). But way quieter. Might not hear it indoors 200yds away unless it’s pretty quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom