• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This was mentioned in my other thread , but I thought I would mention about the knife itself .

For a cpl years I had been contemplating one from their Custom Shop, with the S 30V , but never quite pulled the trigger . Meanwhile , I saw that SMKW has a supply of 110 and 112 so equipped for their inventory . A cpl days later got the usual inquiry " What do you want for B day ? You're impossible to shop fort ." , and I named this, and they could surprise me with either 110 or 112 .

From 10 feet away , looks like a classic 110 . Up close some differences .

The good news is egdes of the bolsters are now more rounded , being more comfortable in the hand or pocket than the original with right angle edges .

While from the Custom Shop I could have spec'ed any number of handle materials , starting with Coco Bolo , this one from SMKW has rough textured synthetic , just barely on the brown side of being black . Not sure yet what I think of them . While still a substantial knife , I can feel that it is slightly lighter than the classic ones . The new material certainly gives a good grip in the hand .

But with all the new wave knife desighs with synthetic or aluminum , razor thin, and feather light , Choosing a 110 is a degree of nostalgia for old school Hardwood and Brass .

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

I love the classic Buck 110. IMHO nothing beats brass and wood. I do how ever love the g-10 with nickel bolsters look as well. I am not too fond of the slim lines they came out with. They changed the blade shape and the plastic/micarta just has a cheaper feel to it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Alas, I am computer illiterate Luddite , and can't post pictures . But they're on page 3 or 4 of latest SMKW catalog .

The radiused bolsters will make it more comfortable for actual pocket carry , but not really matter for belt pouch .
    My Imperial, Ireland , clone that splits the size difference, with full synthetic handles is very comfortable in the pocket , alas with pedestrian Stainless steel , not further specified that I can look up .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , the one from Cabelas has more bling for less money . But I do prefer the natural finish on the blade to the titanium nitride on a 110 .

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    How do you like the S30V?

I have a 110 and a bantam in the normal 410HC which holds up under some wicked abuse, I still can’t sharpen beyond “pretty sharp” no matter what I do. Is the S30V any more forgiving sharpening wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Haven't (re, or additionally ) sharpened it yet .

This one will be my introduction to super-ish steels , and I will eventually discover these things . Alas my not having a life extends to not having the opportunity to abuse my new knife yet ..

But several people have commented in this thread, and my other related thread .

Buck's website description claims that the S 30V has 45% edge retention than their 420HC , and that S 30V is comparitively easy to sharpen * in the context of super steels * .

Could one of our Cutlery Nerds give us some insight to comparitive " Sharpebability " between S 30V and 440 C ? ( Using conventional sharpening methods )

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    S30v May take a little longer to sharpen but should hold a useable edge for longer. I have a couple knives. S30v has become nearly the industry standard basic steel for mid-higher end brands.

If you know how to sharpen you won’t have any issues.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Over the decades I was aware vaguely of small scale third party conversions . Is Buck doing one themselves now ?

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    They are! They were advertising the automatics a little bit ago as a new line I believe. I’ve definitely given them a gander along with the 110&112 “slim models”, those have thumb studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Just picked up a 112 auto, it is sweet. everything that is said above and blade comes out WITH AUTHORITY. Much stronger opening spring than any Benchmade auto I ever had, and I didn't even lube it yet. I was impressed with how sharp the blade is as well. I almost went with the 110 as I always carried one as a kid. Even carried one through airport security once when I was 10 picking up my Aunt from the airport. Pre 911 of course. lol

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom