• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    The struggle

On Target is 5miles from my house, Freestate is 31...yet I still struggle with where to go.

On Target is a bunch of range nazi's. They treat a 30 year experienced shooter the same way they would treat a first time shooter in socks and sandals taking snapchats.

I saw a guy in there (clearly very experienced older gentlemen) practicing walk and shoot but only walking about 2ft and never leaving the "safe zone" of his stall. The tall fat employee came out and was about to say something but before he could the customer yells "You're going to tell me to stop doing that aren't you? Well I'm leaving anyway" and then proceeded to do a huge belly laugh. It was great.

Freestate is just friggen awesome. The customer service, the rental selection, the customer service, gunsmithing, CUSTOMER SERVICE. lol I know I'm being repetitive on purpose but they are really in league above the rest. And I know this was stated before but you can shoot 556 and slug at Freestate which is a huge plus.

On Target is cheaper but you can see why.

I want to head somewhere tonight after work and I still can't make up my mind. I think I might go to Freestate cause I want to shoot a G43 and Shield side by side. And maybe shoot a G42 also.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    On Target is 5miles from my house, Freestate is 31...yet I still struggle with where to go.

On Target is a bunch of range nazi's. They treat a 30 year experienced shooter the same way they would treat a first time shooter in socks and sandals taking snapchats.

I saw a guy in there (clearly very experienced older gentlemen) practicing walk and shoot but only walking about 2ft and never leaving the "safe zone" of his stall. The tall fat employee came out and was about to say something but before he could the customer yells "You're going to tell me to stop doing that aren't you? Well I'm leaving anyway" and then proceeded to do a huge belly laugh. It was great.

Freestate is just friggen awesome. The customer service, the rental selection, the customer service, gunsmithing, CUSTOMER SERVICE. lol I know I'm being repetitive on purpose but they are really in league above the rest. And I know this was stated before but you can shoot 556 and slug at Freestate which is a huge plus.

On Target is cheaper but you can see why.

I want to head somewhere tonight after work and I still can't make up my mind. I think I might go to Freestate cause I want to shoot a G43 and Shield side by side. And maybe shoot a G42 also.

I shoot at OnTarget about once a week because it's close to my work. They get all kinds of people in there and work to keep it safe for everyone. Even the customers who are regulars and are known to be safe need to follow the rules as examples for others. It would be difficult to tell a newbie not to do something that you allow someone else to do.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Those indoor ranges scare the heck out of me. They are always busy with shooters that have no idea what they are doing. They should have an RSO for each lane! I feel lucky each time I leave without any leaks. I can understand why the veteran RSO's have a tendency to over regulate.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    maybe i should go in their with my RSO shirt... will they leave me alone then? hehe

all jokes aside.. i've never had a problem with them i understand why they are the way they are... and it's too close for me not to shoot there... although i'd prefer outside range.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I shoot at OnTarget about once a week because it's close to my work. They get all kinds of people in there and work to keep it safe for everyone. Even the customers who are regulars and are known to be safe need to follow the rules as examples for others. It would be difficult to tell a newbie not to do something that you allow someone else to do.

This sums it up well.

The staff keeps a general eye on things, but I have never known them to be unfair to anyone.

While I certainly don't get there as often as I would like, I can say that in 5 years, I have heard them call the range cold a total of twice, and for pretty serious stuff.

Otherwise, they deal with it 1:1, because more often the shooters are A) responsible, and B) self-policing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom