• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    My unlce has a farm he is willing to lease to me n my buddies its 400 acre farm with corfields hay field some swamp and woods the problem is I do not know what a fair price is can any one help or tell me what the average price would be or what they would pay

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I think the going rate is about 12-15 bucks per acrea unless there is waterfowl hunting on it. Then in that case the price will really jump up

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Depends on what he's allowing to be harvested and access (for waterfowl hunting guys generally like the option to drive out on dry and/or frozen fields to set decoys).

I won't hunt a farm that has super restrictive access, but we are also ultra-respectful hunters and routinely err on the side of caution when it comes to leaving ruts.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Also, how many guys is he letting out (and making sure they aren't inviting their buddies and so on)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Damn, I am trying to get past the point that your uncle would charge you to hunt.
    Guess I need to tell my kid and cousins its time to kick up some cash. I have always been happy if the 4 wheeler's have gas in them when I get there.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Hard to find a lease for $12-15 an acre. The Chesapeake Forrest Lottery properties go for about $15 an acre, but a private lease is more. We pay about $15 an acre for our CFL in Somerset, but about twice that much for our private lease in QA.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Damn, I am trying to get past the point that your uncle would charge you to hunt.
    Guess I need to tell my kid and cousins its time to kick up some cash. I have always been happy if the 4 wheeler's have gas in them when I get there.
    I can undersatand what you're saying if it's just for him and a friend or him and his son, but if the OP is looking to start a club with 5-6.... guys then I don't see a problem with the Uncle leasing the property to them.

OP - Offer him $20 an acre and get 8 guys at $1000 a piece. 400 acres is plenty of land for 8 hunters. We pay $1000 per man per season. We have a nice camp set up and I personally hunted probably 30 days this past season. It was well worth $1000 to have leased property that I know I have legal rights to hunt and will not be interrupted by other hunters like on public property.

Then again he is your Uncle so maybe you could just offer him a flat $5000.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Heat.... I was joking....
    Personally, I would not allow anyone that was not family or long term friend to hunt on my property.

Sorry OP, I did not mean to hijack.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Heat.... I was joking....
    Personally, I would not allow anyone that was not family or long term friend to hunt on my property.

Sorry OP, I did not mean to hijack.
    I think you had a good point. If my Uncle was going to charge me to come hunt on his 400 acres I would be offended. I just think that a club makes it a different situation.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    People pay THAT much to hunt?????

I may have to lease out a few stands, $1000 is a lot of McDoubles!!!

Last time we leased ground it was $1/acre in Church Creek, for geese and deer, of course, that was a LONG time ago.

Haven't given a pennysince.....

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Like others have said depends on the game on the property, where its located, anyone else have access to hunt there etc. instead of offering a Ton of money why not ask your uncle what he wants for it and or would he be willing to trade labor around the farm for hunting rights. Leases are getting out of hand and I turned down 2 farms last year where the landowner wanted $100 an acre.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I can't believe a family member is charging you.

Exactly how much does it cost him to have you hunt there?

Sorry, but it bothers me when folks try to make a buck off of every damn thing.

What happened to just being kind and generous?

live2hunt266

m770 30-06
    Jan 16, 2012
    Havre de grace MD
    The rule is to hunt the farm you have to work on the farm I dont have time during the week and weekends wont cut it with him I said he was my uncle never said he was a nice guy

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The rule is to hunt the farm you have to work on the farm I dont have time during the week and weekends wont cut it with him I said he was my uncle never said he was a nice guy

Plus, in all fairness, HE owns the property, pays the taxes, etc.

Anyone who thinks the Unc is dick, the OP can simply go out and buy is own 400 acres, problem solved. ;)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He is a dick in general but im fine with leasing the rights to it though three guys to hunt a 400 acre farm all season waterfowl included

Goose pits (the pit, not the farm) range from $1500 to $3K+ on the Upper Eastern Shore (Cecilton, Earleville, Galena, Etc.).

If you can get on the farm for a couple hundred bucks a piece you'd be foolish not to, ef a bunch of farm work.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Offer to trap all the groundhogs. Just imagine how much damage they do to crops and to livestock if they step in the holes! Also shoot or trap raccoons. You can catch barn coons pretty easily with little time needed. Trapping groundhogs is easy as anything if you can use conibears over the holes. Probably need a single use nuisance lisc though (free). Coons you can do year round w/out a lisc as his agent ( he just needs to designate you his agent and give you written permission as his agent). Barn coons drive up feed costs and ruin hay bales. Do the groundhogs in the worst trouble spots. Multiple holes together in the middle of the soy field before planting starts, holes going under sheds/barns, holes seen in livestock fields. Once you get traps set, it doesn't take much time to check everyday. This is only feesible though if the farm is not far from your house or work. It should make him happy enough to let you hunt. It works with most other farmers. That and fur trapping.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    :thumbsup: but if others are trying to get in on the action I would charge them for sure AND only the people on the lease would be allowed to hunt. like some one else said you dont want them bringing their buddies and their buddies bringing more people in...
    People pay THAT much to hunt?????

I may have to lease out a few stands, $1000 is a lot of McDoubles!!!

Last time we leased ground it was $1/acre in Church Creek, for geese and deer, of course, that was a LONG time ago.

Haven't given a pennysince.....
    Ive seen anywhere from $500-$5000 per gun, $100 a day or $500-$1000 per season in some places in texas...so getting exclusive rights to hunt on a property is a big deal in some places and a good for extra income. So long as the hunters dont trash the property.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    My unlce has a farm he is willing to lease to me n my buddies its 400 acre farm with corfields hay field some swamp and woods the problem is I do not know what a fair price is can any one help or tell me what the average price would be or what they would pay

So where is the farm located at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom