My letter to the editor made it into two newspapers!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Are we allowed to do that? I thought the mods frowned upon that? Maybe I'm thinking of a different forum ....

They frown on it do to the risk of the forum being sued for copyright violation. Because the letter was written by you, you have the copyright, and can post it anywhere you like without concern about that.

IOW, go ahead. I'm sure Norton or someone will delete it if I'm wrong (But I'm 99% sure I'm not)

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    elcid89 (the progressive CPA from Hartford Cty) trotted out Scalia's Heller majority opinion, "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited", even though Scalia himself also used the term "common use". Scalia also noted elcid89's 'sensitive areas' argument, but left the door open for armed and trained security as a state and local issue.

And, gsnorris plys his typical drivers license analogy, the tries to defend it as a right and not-a-right at the same time.

Many times smokey118 and I jump on these two, so I'm glad to see others slamming them for their tired old progressive 'chestnuts'. It's almost like they are paid liberal commentors on BaltimoreSunpapers.com because they turn up almost immediately. I think that they keep their responses stored in their cut'n'paste buffer, ready to slap down any pro-2A opinion that is posted. And the more that additional and different pro-2A people comment on BaltimoreSunpapers.com, the more it drowns out the limited voices of the left and presents our views as MAINSTREAM. Use Ctrl-Left Shift-P for In-Private comment posting.

Good job JMangle !!! Keep those cards and letters coming.

elcid89 has been posting comments a lot lately. He claims to be a tax lawyer for a law firm in Washington DC (so I could see that he may also be a CPA), and says he lives in Potomac. He also said he owns guns. All of this is what he recently said in other comments in the Baltimore Sun, but they could all be lies.

In my opinion, he's one of those gun owners that is part of the problem. He thinks he knows more than everyone else (and he doesn't), states he is a gun owner, and says he is for "reasonable" gun laws (in his opinion of course). He is argumentative with both sides, and proud of it.

I hate the guy and jump on him too. I've been posting a lot in the Sun comments lately. It's nice to see others doing the same.

By the way, nice job JMangle!

7A38

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    elcid89 has been posting comments a lot lately. He claims to be a tax lawyer for a law firm in Washington DC (so I could see that he may also be a CPA), and says he lives in Potomac. He also said he owns guns. All of this is what he recently said in other comments in the Baltimore Sun, but they could all be lies.

Internet_dog.jpg

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Great letter. Yes they will publish a few of our letters. I have had 17 of mine published in the past and trust me, they weren't on the liberal side. After I ditched that rag I stopped writing. If they published you once, keep submitting on related subjects as they will now give serious consideration to your letters. They do keep a list of who they like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SonicBlue

NRA RSO
    Nov 25, 2009
    Leonardtown
    elcid89 (the progressive CPA from Hartford Cty) It's almost like they are paid liberal commentors on BaltimoreSunpapers.com because they turn up almost immediately.

Guys like that just call him a "Shill" and refuse to take the bait. ( i.e. also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization) It immediately discredits him and you watch the label will completely drive him mad. :mad54:

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    James,

Since I am seeing more Anti-2A letters and opinion pages in the Carroll County Times, don't you think you should also post it there?

Yeah, I tried. They didn't even respond to my email. (Granted neither did the Baltimore Sun, I didn't know they had done anything until I read my own editorial on google news. I didn't know it was in print until a co-worker brought me a cut-out and said, "is this you?")

Carroll County Times is actually pretty left-leaning. Amazing considering that Carroll County is pretty conservative.

Oh well, maybe I'll pen a letter about 'common sense gun laws' that focus on the bad guys and not the good guys. Maybe if the tone makes me sound a little anti-gun, then they'll print a pro-gun piece?

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    Very Well Stated. I have written the Governor and all state and federal legislators. I know it will fall on deaf ears but I am still trying to do my part.

Thanks

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Here's mine:

I understand you want to do something about gun violence. As a gun owner, so do I. You may not like guns. That's your right, and I don't mind. If you're going to want more gun control, could I ask you to advocate for gun laws that make sense? Much of the current conversation is focused on things like magazine capacity, assault weapons, and private sales. These gun control proposals are nothing but a waste of time and money that will do nothing to reduce gun violence.

Currently there are bills pending in the State Senate and House (SB-281, HB-294) that, among other things, would make flash hiders and barrel shrouds illegal. This is like banning chrome bumpers on cars in the hopes of reducing speeding in school zones. It makes no sense. Banning guns based on their shapes, dimensions, and cosmetic features will do absolutely nothing to reduce shootings in Baltimore City, or anywhere else. How could they? Ask your representatives to do something that will actually make a difference, like aggressive enforcement of straw purchasing laws, or eliminating early release of prisoners convicted of gun crimes.

You, the gun control advocate, should feel insulted that your representatives are discussing the merits of banning shotguns with pistol grips. Regardless of how you hold it, it's still a shotgun. Pistol grips and thumbhole stocks should be completely irrelevant in the gun control conversation. Those things have no relation at all to reducing gun crime. Is a drunk driver more dangerous if his car has a leather-wrapped steering wheel? It's the same logic. You and I know that a shotgun doesn't become less dangerous when it measures over 30” long, so why do Senator Frosh and Cardin think banning shotguns under that length will reduce gun crime? If you truly want less gun crime, call your Senators and demand that they stop the nonsense. Let's talk about things that will actually reduce crime, like improving access to mental healthcare.

New York recently passed a law limiting the size of a gun's magazine to 7 rounds. A few other states have existing laws that limit magazines to 10 rounds. Maryland currently limits magazines to 20 rounds. What effect did these laws have on gun crime? Absolutely none. Preventing mass shootings? No effect there either. It's a well known fact that guns are re-loadable, usually within 2 seconds. Limiting magazines to an arbitrary capacity is silly. Christopher S. Koper, Daniel J. Woods and Jeffrey A. Roth did a study on the effects of the 1994 assault weapon ban for the Department of Justice. They found that only 3% of all gunfire incidents involved more than 10 shots. Banning full-capacity magazines didn't reduce crime then, and wouldn't now. Call the Governor and ask for real solutions to gun crime, not the smoke and mirrors currently being offered.

According to the previously mentioned DOJ study, the effects of renewing the federal assault weapon ban “are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement.” Given that fact, why are we allowing politicians to promote a new assault weapon ban as the solution to gun crime? According to the FBI, less than 3% of gun crimes involve assault weapons. Will you allow them to pass it, claim they addressed the issue, and move on? Regardless of how you feel about guns, you should want our legislators to pursue effective measures. Laws about shapes, sizes, and features are irrelevant, and should have no place in this discussion. Let's talk about better training for police officers, teachers, and healthcare providers. Let's talk about better school security. Let's study the effects concealed carry laws have on gun crime. Let's look at how other states have reduced gun violence, and adopt those policies. Let's hold our legislators responsible when laws they pass don't have the effect they promised it would. Like you, I'm in favor of reducing gun violence. Let's spend our time, and taxpayer money on things that will actually work.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I added a comment to that Letter to the Editor on the online Baltimore Sun. There is someone who uses multiple screen names who is cherry picking a quote from the Heller decision and "proof" that it supports restrictions, when in fact when taken as a whole, the spirit of the Heller decision supports the citizen and LESS restrictions. Aside from that, they don't even realize what it is they are saying when they quote it because taken in context, all Scalia is doing is saying that yes, historically/traditionally there have been prohibitions, but that those prohibitions have not always been lawful, even if they were mostly accepted - i.e., felons and mental patients are not allowed to own firearms.

Good letter!

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Great letter. Yes they will publish a few of our letters. I have had 17 of mine published in the past and trust me, they weren't on the liberal side. After I ditched that rag I stopped writing. If they published you once, keep submitting on related subjects as they will now give serious consideration to your letters. They do keep a list of who they like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Damn, 17? I need to get typing again (now that I know exactly what is in the bill.)

Here's mine:

I understand you want to do something about gun violence. As a gun owner, so do I. You may not like guns. That's your right, and I don't mind. If you're going to want more gun control, could I ask you to advocate for gun laws that make sense? Much of the current conversation is focused on things like magazine capacity, assault weapons, and private sales. These gun control proposals are nothing but a waste of time and money that will do nothing to reduce gun violence.

Currently there are bills pending in the State Senate and House (SB-281, HB-294) that, among other things, would make flash hiders and barrel shrouds illegal. This is like banning chrome bumpers on cars in the hopes of reducing speeding in school zones. It makes no sense. Banning guns based on their shapes, dimensions, and cosmetic features will do absolutely nothing to reduce shootings in Baltimore City, or anywhere else. How could they? Ask your representatives to do something that will actually make a difference, like aggressive enforcement of straw purchasing laws, or eliminating early release of prisoners convicted of gun crimes.

You, the gun control advocate, should feel insulted that your representatives are discussing the merits of banning shotguns with pistol grips. Regardless of how you hold it, it's still a shotgun. Pistol grips and thumbhole stocks should be completely irrelevant in the gun control conversation. Those things have no relation at all to reducing gun crime. Is a drunk driver more dangerous if his car has a leather-wrapped steering wheel? It's the same logic. You and I know that a shotgun doesn't become less dangerous when it measures over 30” long, so why do Senator Frosh and Cardin think banning shotguns under that length will reduce gun crime? If you truly want less gun crime, call your Senators and demand that they stop the nonsense. Let's talk about things that will actually reduce crime, like improving access to mental healthcare.

New York recently passed a law limiting the size of a gun's magazine to 7 rounds. A few other states have existing laws that limit magazines to 10 rounds. Maryland currently limits magazines to 20 rounds. What effect did these laws have on gun crime? Absolutely none. Preventing mass shootings? No effect there either. It's a well known fact that guns are re-loadable, usually within 2 seconds. Limiting magazines to an arbitrary capacity is silly. Christopher S. Koper, Daniel J. Woods and Jeffrey A. Roth did a study on the effects of the 1994 assault weapon ban for the Department of Justice. They found that only 3% of all gunfire incidents involved more than 10 shots. Banning full-capacity magazines didn't reduce crime then, and wouldn't now. Call the Governor and ask for real solutions to gun crime, not the smoke and mirrors currently being offered.

According to the previously mentioned DOJ study, the effects of renewing the federal assault weapon ban “are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement.” Given that fact, why are we allowing politicians to promote a new assault weapon ban as the solution to gun crime? According to the FBI, less than 3% of gun crimes involve assault weapons. Will you allow them to pass it, claim they addressed the issue, and move on? Regardless of how you feel about guns, you should want our legislators to pursue effective measures. Laws about shapes, sizes, and features are irrelevant, and should have no place in this discussion. Let's talk about better training for police officers, teachers, and healthcare providers. Let's talk about better school security. Let's study the effects concealed carry laws have on gun crime. Let's look at how other states have reduced gun violence, and adopt those policies. Let's hold our legislators responsible when laws they pass don't have the effect they promised it would. Like you, I'm in favor of reducing gun violence. Let's spend our time, and taxpayer money on things that will actually work.

Looks good. And very valid point relating chrome bumpers to flash suppressors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom