• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Anyone bump into rattlers or copperheads in MD this year while scouting or hunting? So far, I have been fortunate (i.e., no encounters), but I wanted to get data (e.g., terrain, region, time of day) from other hunters.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    In NC, beating woods back with a lawn mower, saw a Copperhead slither into a wood pile. Keep a revolver with rat shot with me. We are at peak season for snakebites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    Got a cooperhead last friday north Calvert County used snake tongs and put in bucket with a lid.
    Called DNR thinking they would relocate gave me a big NO. So illegal to kill in MD but I have to
    take the risk of finding it a new home!

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Found another copperhead in the yard while mowing Saturday. Found and ate a rattler while in the mountains of Commiefornia last month. Tasty!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Got a cooperhead last friday north Calvert County used snake tongs and put in bucket with a lid.
    Called DNR thinking they would relocate gave me a big NO. So illegal to kill in MD but I have to
    take the risk of finding it a new home!

SSSsss

Seems appropriate

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I find copperheads all the time near my house in Calvert. I simple scoop them up with a snake hook put them in a bucket with a lid and let them go in the woods far enough away from anything or anyone they could bite.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I have black snakes, garter snakes, green snakes and ring neck snakes at my place in Calvert. Have not spotted anything venomous........... yet (although I believe ring necked snakes are slightly venomous)

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I came across this timber rattler in central pa a few weeks back, pretty common where I’m at. Probably 48” to 52” and fat as hell.

Attachments

• 190F59E0-A409-4AC7-BCED-C0782732BD77.jpg
      190F59E0-A409-4AC7-BCED-C0782732BD77.jpg
      154.4 KB · Views: 492
    • ED457ABD-FB93-4354-9159-551C436CD11E.jpg
      ED457ABD-FB93-4354-9159-551C436CD11E.jpg
      195.9 KB · Views: 492

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    would love to see pics of the copperheads. sure you guys know what you're talking about, but every time someone points out a copperhead to me, it's a water snake. golfing with a guy a few weeks back, said one (water snake) was a water moccasin (out in canaan valley no less)...

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    would love to see pics of the copperheads. sure you guys know what you're talking about, but every time someone points out a copperhead to me, it's a water snake. golfing with a guy a few weeks back, said one (water snake) was a water moccasin (out in canaan valley no less)...

Here is one that got under my tire last summer.

Attachments

• 0E314D56-CE70-44C2-92D9-ED48CD1D8C6A.jpeg
      0E314D56-CE70-44C2-92D9-ED48CD1D8C6A.jpeg
      133.2 KB · Views: 494

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have been hunting and fishing in Md since the 70s.In all those years,I have only seen 1 venomous snake.I was driving through Green Ridge in May about 25 years ago.There was a large snake sunning itself in the road.I got out and checked it out.It was definitely a rattle snake.It coiled up and buzzed at me.I pinned its head with a stick and was going to handle it,but since I was a good ways back in and was by myself,I just let it go.

I have seen plenty of other snakes,garters,blacks,water snakes,corn and milk snakes etc. But never found a copperhead.

PS Even tho Im not afraid of snakes, I wear snake boots when turkey hunting in warmer weather just in case

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    There are Timber Rattlers here In Nebraska/Iowa. I hunt in Nebraska and I'm wary of them when I hunt the cornfields this weekend.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    This story from the Georgia hunting magazine site. Would stir folks up good first hand.

We had all kinds of snakes on the farm there, a lot of racers which are not poisonous. And saw lots of sheds from rattlers and copperheads. But only ever saw one copper head there myself. A little, one dead, run over on the road.

Unlike home in Delaware, hunting in places with things that could kill or eat ya, makes you think a little different about hunting.

https://www.gon.com/news/50-rattlesnakes-discovered-in-upson-county-hunt-camp

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    My first encounter of the year was at dusk on a road alongside a creek. Copperhead. What was scary was that I nearly stepped right on it; their pattern works well in shadows / low-light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom