Feds Order Apple And Google To Hand Over Names Of 10,000+ Users Of A Gun Scope App

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone who has this app chime in please.

Is this app specific to the scope they are checking for illegal exports or does the user input scope type into the data subset for shot data?

I’m also curious how the user data will help determine exports minus repeated purchases or target scope additions.

I’m going to claim ignorance on how this app works but even i think this is pretty damn broad.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    This might be a viable tool to help locate enemy insurgents in Afghanistan if they got data on the app being used there. The idea that someone here would download the app stateside before illegally shipping the scope to a foreign country seems very odd unless they have intel that the scopes are being sold along with a phone preloaded with the app.
    I don’t like this at all and hope the judge shuts them done quickly.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    3 words (might not be a total solution but, no one in our household has Googled anything since, well, since we found out about):

DuckDuckGo :)

https://duckduckgo.com/

In this case you would need to use something like LineageOS without any google apps, then download the app from APKmirror or another similar site. Then you would have access to this app without going through google, as long as the app doesnt require any Google services.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Anyone who has this app chime in please.

Is this app specific to the scope they are checking for illegal exports or does the user input scope type into the data subset for shot data?

I’m also curious how the user data will help determine exports minus repeated purchases or target scope additions.

I’m going to claim ignorance on how this app works but even i think this is pretty damn broad.

Specific app to specific hardware.

I still have tinfoil on this; I believe the feds know but are simply looking for a cover story on how they know so its not blown that they (illegally) monitor EVERYTHING

Sirex