Feds Order Apple And Google To Hand Over Names Of 10,000+ Users Of A Gun Scope App

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    From the article:

If the court signs off on the order, Apple and Google will be told to hand over not just the names of anyone who downloaded the scope app from August 1, 2017 to the current date, but their telephone numbers and IP addresses too, which could be used to determine the location of the user. The government also wants to know when users were operating the app.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It’s looking into illegal exports of ATN’s scope, though the company itself isn’t under investigation, according to the order. As part of that, investigators are looking for a quick way to find out where the app is in use, as that will likely indicate where the hardware has been shipped. ICE has repeatedly intercepted illegal shipments of the scope, which is controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR), according to the government court filing. They included shipments to Canada, the Netherlands and Hong Kong where the necessary licenses hadn’t been obtained.

because people do not spoof their VPN to appear in the USA all the time....

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I guess I'll start reading all that privacy and fine print stuff that every app has but gets ingored

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I guess I'll start reading all that privacy and fine print stuff that every app has but gets ingored

Privacy policies always - ALWAYS - say all bets are off on retained data when facing a judge’s order. The fine print will tell you when they will or won’t sell info or publicly disclose it, but there’s always a big carve-out for subpoenas.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Privacy policies always - ALWAYS - say all bets are off on retained data when facing a judge’s order. The fine print will tell you when they will or won’t sell info or publicly disclose it, but there’s always a big carve-out for subpoenas.

The only way to absolutely keep a record out of the hands of the GOV is to not create the record in the first place.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The only way to absolutely keep a record out of the hands of the GOV is to not create the record in the first place.

****Pretty much this. Even years back, during the Washington, DC sniper case, the police knew who had purchased Bushmaster XM-15's that matched the caliber and I guess other characteristics during those shootings and went on a fishing expedition in at least the Aspen Hill area and Norbeck, by Leisure World, where a shooting had occurred. They interviewed several people that had purchased them as well as ammo, etc.. They somehow finally figured out the firearm used was purchased out of state, and was stolen. I knew one of the people interviewed at the time who had purchased the same model firearm used at a local gun store some months before the shootings. He cooperated with police, and they ruled him out as a suspect very quickly and moved on to other leads. The point being records do exist of firearm purchases that there aren't supposed to be lists of...

I think this is why so many gun control people are trying to ban FTF transfers, and other means of sales in the hopes of perhaps having a better idea of who has what, etc.. Eventually, the goal is probably just banning all firearms from private hands but they gotta know who has them, who lost them in a boating accident, and who just uses them for hunting deer, or target practice at the local range, or whatever.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    because people do not spoof their VPN to appear in the USA all the time....

Hey i spoof my ip to EU all the time so i can read news blocked here. :innocent0

oh,
    ATN has not been contacted by the Department of Justice, Apple, or Google,” the company said in a statement to American Military News on Friday.

“ATN will protect its customers and their identifying data to the absolute extent possible under U.S. law. And, it will not provide any information regarding the identity of our customers to any third party unless specifically required by law,” the statement continued.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...ding-its-app-user-data-from-apple-and-google/

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't know why anyone would ever want a scope that connects to the internet. It's obvious you'll be spied on.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    First off, this is ********, a clear violation of the 4th amendment. However, considering how anti-gun Google is, I am expecting them to comply.

Second, I am so glad I did not buy one of these ATN scopes.

Scary stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom