• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Then start speaking Spanglish and masquerade as an illegal. See? Fixed!

I posted on the FB page of some politician who was championing the "rights" of illegal aliens, that all of my guns were undocumented, and did he support that....

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'm fearful that some sort of UBC will be passed but I'm also hopeful that the Senate will not pass anything that doesn't have several amendments to counter what ever is in the House bill. I don't think I'm foolish enough to think that the Senate would add enough amendments to kill the house bill completely, they need to save face and make it look like they are doing something, even though I dont like the idea of any further infringements. A few things I would like them to add would be a prevision for mental health physicians to be able to add information the NICS system, do away with any waiting period beyond the 15 minute approved NICS check , false claim penalty for any ERPO's and last but not least national constitutional carry, and given enough time I could come up with a few more. If I was at the bargaining table, the only concession I would consider would be national CCW instead of constitutional carry.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hmph. I'm convinced that any "good and sufficient" or "good reason" wording is inherently void for vagueness.

I strongly believe we need to go on offense with the General Assembly, not play pure defense. And going Shall Issue would be a good target. The basic argument would be that Maryland already has a very extensive training requirement, one of the most stringent in the country. The fact that a citizen would be willing to invest that much time and money is itself proof that he considers himself to have good cause to go armed. Especially when doing so is not the most convenient thing in the world.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Still need enough delegates and senators to vote for it.

With the current makeup of the MGA, shall issue is a dead issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Which is why it is important to support the effort to fight the issue through the courts. Of course all other avenues should be pursued simultaneously - take a newbie to the range, vote accordingly, volunteer for 2A-suppirting candidates, etc.

br3krj

Libertarian Conservative
    Oct 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Has a date been scheduled to hear this case? I went through the thread and did not see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Post article on the Whalen case ...

A novel challenge to Maryland gun laws: Trump supporters are targets
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ad8b40-d4c9-11e9-9343-40db57cf6abd_story.html

In the spring of 2017, a Republican congressional staff member submitted an application to carry a handgun in Maryland, one of fewer than 10 states requiring citizens to prove they have a good reason to carry firearms.

Maryland, which has some of the country’s strictest gun laws, received more than 600 appeals of permit denials in 2018. Edward Holmes Whalen, then a staffer on the Senate’s Indian Affairs Committee, had presented a rather novel justification in his application — working with the Trump administration, he said, posed great danger.

Whalen’s application was denied. He appealed and lost. And now his case is in front of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals with backing from Maryland Shall Issue, a gun rights organization pursuing legal and legislative paths “to promote and defend the right of armed defense that belongs to every responsible, law-abiding Marylander.”

Whalen’s challenge against Maryland is one of dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of test cases that gun rights advocates have brought in state and federal courts around the country following the Supreme Court’s landmark 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller . In that 5-to-4 decision, the justices ruled that the Second Amendment guaranteed individuals the right to own guns regardless of military service.

But states and federal courts have yet to definitively sort out a crucial question raised by Whalen and others — whether the constitutional right extends beyond a gun owner’s home. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit has previously ruled in Maryland’s favor, holding that “as we move outside the home, firearm rights have always been more limited, because public safety interests often outweigh individual interests in self-defense.”

Legal experts say the issue is barreling toward the Supreme Court.

All of the post-Heller litigation revolves around a set of important questions: “Where can you take guns? What kind of guns are protected?” said Darrell A.H. Miller, co-director of Duke University’s Center for Firearms Law.

In Maryland, citizens who want to carry a gun outside the home must file an application with the State Police. Applicants are required to pass a criminal-background check and a handgun training course. Most critically, they must prove a “good and substantial reason” to carry a gun “such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.”

Whalen, who declined to comment for this article, lives in the District, though he can “literally throw a baseball” from his home into Maryland, according to his testimony during his appeal. To drive into Maryland with a handgun, Whalen would need a permit, which he applied for in March 2017. His application was denied that July.

Whalen, then 34, set off on an odyssey of reviews and appeals, first on his own and then with legal representation provided by Maryland Shall Issue. In letters of appeal and testimony before a state review board, Whalen offered several justifications for his application.

In a separate letter, Whalen referenced the 2017 attack on several members of the Republican congressional baseball team while they practiced in Alexandria, Va. “This kind of attack is especially disturbing in the context of threats I have received in the past as a personal office staffer,” Whalen wrote.

Maryland’s Handgun Permit Review Board, which reviews appeals of denials by the State Police, agreed with an initial finding that Whalen offered no evidence of threats. The board itself is under some dispute, with Gov. Larry Hogan (R) recently vetoing legislation to dissolve the entity — made up of political appointees — in favor of administrative judges.

But now that the case has reached the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, Whalen’s threat justifications don’t really matter.

In legalese, Maryland is a “may issue” state. The state may issue a license if it finds there is a “good and substantial reason.”

Whalen and gun rights organizations want Maryland to become a “shall issue” state, meaning that if an applicant passes objective hurdles such as a criminal-background check and training course, they should be issued a license to carry. Roughly two dozen states, including Virginia, are considered “shall issue” states.

Whalen has already passed those hurdles.

“Exercising a right does not depend on whether or not you have a special need, or a “good and substantial reason,” in the state’s parlance,” said Mark W. Pennak, the president of Maryland Shall Issue. “Your right to report in the newspaper does not depend on whether or not you have a special need to report.”

The Constitution, Pennak added, provides that right “to the people, and not a subclass of the people.”

In Whalen’s appeal in Maryland, his lawyers argued the court “should thus strike down the good and substantial reason requirement and order the issuance of the permit

Even John Adams — or the ghost of John Adams — gets the point, they wrote.

“In defending the British soldiers charged in the Boston Massacre, John Adams conceded that, in this country, ‘every private person is authorized to arm himself; and on the strength of this authority I do not deny the inhabitants had a right to arm themselves at that time for their defense.’”

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Very odd, WaPo got it mostly right.

While they did mention Shall-Issue states, they failed to mention the increasing number of states with Constitutional, or permitless, carry. Might have been too big a bite of Truth for the WaPo readers to swallow at once.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Very odd, WaPo got it mostly right.

While they did mention Shall-Issue states, they failed to mention the increasing number of states with Constitutional, or permitless, carry. Might have been too big a bite of Truth for the WaPo readers to swallow at once.

They did get it right. Ish. But they had to make it about Trump, and the comments are of course unhinged. I responded to a dozen or so of them before I ran out of Crazy DEET.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    fake news

They did get it right. Ish.

WaPo got it mostly right.

WaPo made it about politics exclusively (par for the course). The author, "Michael Rosenwald" didn't really get much right. He completely glossed over the elected official serving in a position of assumed risk/public eye argument, which was the flagship "good and substantial reason" justification all along.

An elite, select few - favored by the MSP - get their W&C permits outright, with no evidence of prior threats. I've seen it firsthand. Others don't because the State Trooper at the HPU just "isn't feelin' it" that day.

Michael Rosenwald also claimed the holding of Heller was that the "Second Amendment guaranteed individuals the right to own guns regardless of military service." Claiming that this notion was the main takeaway from Heller is laughable. He hasn't read the opinion.

Sorry for the rant but - yet again - it's fake (or at least significantly twisted) news coming from the Washington Compost.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Further to WP only being right-ish, they keep mentioning Heller as being the catalyst for furthering carry rights, when in fact it was Wrenn that opened the floodgates for several new carry lawsuits which are steadily percolating up to SCOTUS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom