• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Do you need an HQL to buy a SAA revolver from Cimmaron Firearms in Texas?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    nice looking pistols. Question.... if you buy a percussion cap that does not need an HQL then purchase one of their conversion cylinders to cartidge, would you need an HQL on the conversion cylinder or is that not what is considered the "gun" part of the pistol?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I thought I was the last hold out to purchase their second amendment right.

I was weak, just bought mine.

Its ridiculous and sucks, but now I'll make up for lost time.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    nice looking pistols. Question.... if you buy a percussion cap that does not need an HQL then purchase one of their conversion cylinders to cartidge, would you need an HQL on the conversion cylinder or is that not what is considered the "gun" part of the pistol?

I am not a lawyer. Here is what my understanding of this is:
    The cartridge conversion cylinders are sold without restriction like any part of a firearm except the registered receiver. However, when the cylinder is installed, the gun is considered a firearm as in terms of CCW etc. If the cylinder can be installed and removed without modification to the frame of the gun, the gun remains not a firearm.

Now the big "what if". There are 2 basic types of cartridge conversions. There are those that require the cylinder be removed from the gun for loading and unloading. The other type can function similarly to a cartridge revolver and be loaded and unloaded without removing the cylinder, IF that feature is made via removal of material from the frame to allow the loading gate to function and have clearance for the cartridges to be inserted/removed from the cylinder while the cylinder remains in the gun.

If the frame is modified as described, my understanding is that the cap and ball revolver was transformed into a modern firearm and must be treated as such. This is essentially no different from "making" a gun from an 80% frame.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Rambler said .

HQL is needed for most handguns mfg since 1968 .

Those mfg 1899-1967 are still Modern Firearms under law .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    And to clarify, a cap and ball does not fire fixed ammunition ( cartridges). you pack powder and ball into the cylinder and apply a cap to it. Both the federal and state do not consider it a firearm. That's why a C&B revolver doesn't need a HQL, not the age.

A conversion cylinder is considered a part and is not regulated. The "firearm" is the part that has a serial number on it, usually the frame in a handgun or receiver in a in a long gun. Everything else is just spare parts. I understand that there are conversion cylinders would turn a C&B revolver into a revolver firing fixed ammunition., However, from what I have seen, the process of reloading is more akin to BP revolver than fixed revolver, in that the handgun needs to be disassembled to reload the cylinder. Not like a modern wheel gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom