• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have several speedsafe knives in my collection. I was talking to a friend recently and he told me the laws in some counties in MD have been changed to make carrying speedsafe spring assist knives unlawful. I have no code cites, just this comment. The only regulations I am aware of concern automatic knives, defined as operated using a button on the scale. Does anyone have a definitive answer on where in MD speedsafe knives are prohibited, or otherwise regulated as other than a pen knife?

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Wow, so all the folks in OC that had the assisted knives became criminals overnight?

Pretty much. OC has one of the most corrupt councils in the state and passes any ordinance the local police chief asks without question. One of the reasons I haven't been there in 20 years.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I have several speedsafe knives in my collection. I was talking to a friend recently and he told me the laws in some counties in MD have been changed to make carrying speedsafe spring assist knives unlawful. I have no code cites, just this comment. The only regulations I am aware of concern automatic knives, defined as operated using a button on the scale. Does anyone have a definitive answer on where in MD speedsafe knives are prohibited, or otherwise regulated as other than a pen knife?
    Not counties, just two cities. Baltimore City has had a switchblade ban for some time that contains a definition inclusive of assisted openers. Its on page 166 of the police ordinance document: http://ca.baltimorecity.gov/codes/Art 19 - PoliceOrds.pdf

To put a fine point on it, this is why Freddie Gray was arrested. He had an assisted opener. While initially the State's Attorney publically stated his knife was not illegal and charged the officers with false imprisonment (arresting for a non-crime), she was later reminded of this city ordinance and forced to drop that particular charge as a result of it.

Ocean City is the other, which someone already linked to. That one is fairly recent though.

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    I didn't realize Baltimore City had a 3-inch limit on all blades.

Good grief, gotta change my route to work and the dump or get a new EDC just to stay clear of ********.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown

Good grief, gotta change my route to work and the dump or get a new EDC just to stay clear of ********.

That only pertains to transfer to an individual under age 21, and is included in the list of "dangerous knives."

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, I chose a different EDC knife to accommodate the 3 inch rule. Spyderco Delica 4.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Its not like anyone is ever going to come after your butter knives guys ... so just chill out.

Kinda on that topic, but has anyone ever measured the blade length on a butter knife? Is it illegal to own kitchen knives in Baltimore?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    When measuring the blade length on a folder, do you measure the sharpened length, or the distance from the tip to the center of the fold joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom